New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First or Second car?; ws6 difference?; how much cost to run 11s-12s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see the reason i wanna get a ls1 for my frist car is because, i can't keep changeing my car like you guys, like some of started with a differnt car at 16 and than had anoter by 19 and than another at 21. I can't realy do that, my dad won't let me. Once i buy a car i have to stick with it till high school is over or maybe into 1st year of my collage. Dam i realy gotta think about this.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OverLord
yea i have been practicing on my uncels 03 and 05 cobras-shelby. Also i work at the hospital, they start you at 11 dollars an hour after doing 6 months of free work. Worth it if you ask me. I know siting behind a dam 300+ hp monster is kinda a alot of the avgerage 16 year old, hopefully i won't crash it, lol for about the frist 3-5 months of me haveing the car i probly won't even take it out of third gear. And no street raceing for me(hopefully) maybe a couple of burnouts here and there.
No street racing.... RIGHT! Me and my buddy went down to gratiot everyday and raced untill we got a drag racing ticket..... Live and learn my friend
Old 10-10-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

see the reason i wanna get a ls1 for my frist car is because, i can't keep changeing my car like you guys, like some of started with a differnt car at 16 and than had anoter by 19 and than another at 21. I can't realy do that, my dad won't let me. Once i buy a car i have to stick with it till high school is over or maybe into 1st year of my collage. Dam i realy gotta think about this.
If you let your dad run your life it's going to suck, you want different things, listen to just about everyone on these boards, they know what they are talking about ( ie: I'm 23 and I generally pay less insurance on my 99 TA than guys 2x my age. )
Old 10-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Also remember that insurance on an fbody and a camry are very different. That and cops like pulling over fast cars for some reason...
Old 10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by st7lpsv01
Also remember that insurance on an fbody and a camry are very different. That and cops like pulling over fast cars for some reason...
That's cause generally fast cars are going faster
Old 10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Import Patrol

ws.6 comes with the hood, air box, diff exhaust, suspen. upgrade, larger rearend gear for auto's, 17inch wheels and tire upgrade, and badging.

May 1999, My first car was a 1968, mint 49k Cadillac deville (got ran over by a semi, 3weeks after my 16th birthday).

June 1999, 1968 Chevy Impala Conv. 327ci, still have

Jan 2000, 1991 GMC Suburban on 35's, still have.

Aug 2001, 2001 Chevy Camaro RS (traded that 6banger in)

Feb 2002, 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 (still having fun with it)

March 2003, 1996 GMC Sonoma (work truck, sold that pos)

April 2004, 1998 Gmc, Ext cab Sonoma (Clean as hell work truck, sold for 2k more than I bought it for on ebay)

May 2005, 1999 Chevy Blazer ZR2, (work truck and off-roading fun)

As you can see, I drive nothing but GM's, screw fords, and foreigns.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Teching In

usually ya, though my ticket was lame...
wasn't speeding(doin actually 3 under the limit), got pulled over for failure to signal a lane change. $135 later, i use my signal
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Teching In

a friend just sent me this

damn
Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

dont get a camaro or firebird for your first car dude. Your insurance will be like 900 billion dollars a month and its wayyyyy to powerfull for a starting car. I cant belive your parents dont mind you geting a car like this.

just wait untill your older and you wont regret it. save that dough and buy it when your done with HighSchool. You'll have 4 years of driving exp and the chances of you crashing or doing something silly will be lower. Your car will thank you too.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I turned 16 I got a 92 Z28 with a 305 in it. It was awesome for a first car, and I thought it was pretty fast too. It put down 195 rwhp, and I still did things in that car that I told myself I would never do. Between the ages of 16-19 I pretty much drove it like I stole it. 10+ tickets and 1 arrest later, I still don't regret getting that car, but sure as hell look back and realize how many dangerous things I did (even though I never wrecked it). I believe I learned to be a pretty good driver with all the things I did in that car, but if I had another 100+ rwhp on tap I'm not so sure myself or someone else wouldn't have gotten hurt.

Originally Posted by st7lpsv01
That and cops like pulling over fast cars for some reason...
VERY TRUE. I can't tell you how many times I got pulled over, alot of them for no reason.(well, besides being 16 in a loud Camaro.)
Old 10-11-2005, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

yea you guys pertty much got thourgh me and i am not geting a ls1 or even lt1 for my frist.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

I say buy what you want HOWEVER, it is VERY easy to get carried away when you're so young I still do it myself. But you only live once, it's up to you for how long. Play it smart, be responsible and be happy.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a GTP grand prix for the first 6 months i had my license (bday is the 15th of this month and didnt want to drive my T/A in the winter) and i believe that car saved my ***. it was a quick car, would beat 5.0 GT's...funny to watch...but if id started on my 95 T/A vert...id be a dead cookie. im about to turn 20 and i look back at the stupid crap i did in that t/a and wonder how im still alive. i would steer clear of it as a first car. get it 6 months to a year later after youve had some experience driving by yourself. thats just my .02 cents. dont let us just flat out talk you out of something. were saying be careful and have respect for it. and for all you kids who say you have respect, unless youve been in one and its kicked your *** and you wonder how you even lived...you have no respect for it. youre just thinking its fast and be careful. respect is damn near being scared of it. knowing that it can kick your *** before you even know what will hit you. id really like to see someone who doesnt have their license have true respect for a car. you all are clueless and its not your fault. just know that you are clueless. "know that you know nothing...and therefore you know more than most."
Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OneFastKid
I turn 16 in 2 weeks and will most likelt get an LS1 SS/WS6. I understand the power these cars have and respect it. I personally do not like the i dea of "street racing" or any other act of stupidity on the street. (not busting on those that may street race) It is close to impossible to resist the urge to run the guy sittin next to you at the light when there is no traffic, I'm sure everyone on this board has done it. My message to the guys my age: Take it to the track and don't be irresponsible and stupid. Show you can handle and don't look like the spoiled immature kid with an F-body. Oh, by the way... I just registered but have lurked here and at RevXtreme for the past two years but just now registered here and still haven't at RX (dont have a car so I don't feel right registering on a CAR forum).
it really does sound like you younger memebers are above your age on the maturity level , but i have some questions since you've oviously thought it thro 1, speaking from a parental stand point , what does your mother think of all this? 2. how are you gonna afford gas, insurance, and the fortune you spend on these cars keeping tires on them , motors running, milage servicing (its like $500 to have the car tunned up at 60k miles, 3. lets say you do get in a wreck , you're so young your insurance will drop your happy *** , then what? 4. do you really think the insurance is worth it? you're looking at around $400 a month %. who's co-signing on the loan to get it ? do you really think your mom will , RIGHT!
listen you're age is a factor weither or not you want it to be , i know you're thinking how cool you'll look in it , how the girls will want rides, wouldnt it be cooler if you saw them in 5 years with a house , good job , and 5 nice cars, not ...DEAD, which statistically speaking you will injure someone majorly in a wreck beofre you turn 19, how much do you think the chances will go up if you drive a ws6? i have a ws6 that ive had since i was almost 18 , i got so many tickets ,i have never been in an accident (somehow) but ive almost been hit 100s of times, you know trucks can't really see these cars, can you manuvre around a 3500hd getting over into your lane while your doign 75 in traffic? i doubt it , i could go on forever , you wont listen , you're pre-programmed not to , i just hope someone stops you from buying a 2 ton bullet
Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

sorry thats all kinds of mispelled, my son was sitting in my lap , my son who will get my ws6 when he turns 21 , but until then he'll drive a big *** pick up
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Teching In

my first car was a 2000 olds alero purchased by my parents for my older brother then me. i still believe it was too nice of a car for a first car. i beat the snot out of it. i took it off roading. everytime i drove it i would run the engine to redline. i never did the horribly mean stuff like pulling the E-break or tranny-dropping burnout, but i still abused it. if i would have had a faster car, i would not be here. that car saw 110 regularly and would have seen more if there hadnt been a govenor. my brother had a chip in it for a while and he saw 130+ in a small 4-door sedan. i eventually broke the motor and for my efforts went without a car. towards the end i was starting to slow down, just growing up a little i guess.
i curently drive an S10 4-banger. it is a lot of fun, but i try not to abuse it because i am affraid i will break it. i really like it, it is paid for in full by me and that makes me proud. i firmly believe first drivers should have a beater. it is going to be abused so why hurt a perfectly good car. im glad i had a slower car because i wasnt ready for the faster cars.

at my school and ever school near by, the fast cars where always gone quickly. its a fact of life that people make mistakes. fast mistakes hurt more.

not too much bashing on the truck guys, im poor and i have to pay bills. ive got money in the bank for the V8 car when the time comes.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

I say go for it. You're obviously more mature that a lot of kids your age since you're holding down a good job and you are doing some research about this instead of just jumping into it. If you want a fast car, get a fast car. Just remember that it is fast and just because it's fast you don't have to prove it to everybody that pulls up beside you! I turned 16 in '96 and my first car was a 78 Z with a screaming 327 with around 375 rwhp and a M-22 4 speed with 456 gears. It might have been too much car for me, but I loved that car and I worked for every penny that went into it, therefore I took care of it and didn't take a lot of risks with it. Yes, I did race it every once in a while, but only on back roads when no one was around and we always had people watching for traffic in the distance. True, the insurance was pricey, but it was worth it IMO. I say if you want something fast, go ahead and get it. I know if it was me, I wouldn't be happy with a Civic or Camry! I wouldn't last 6 months in one of those cars! Especially if your dad is going to make you keep what ever you get for a while, you should get what you truly want and will be happy with.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

yea you guys pertty much got thourgh me and i am not geting a ls1 or even lt1 for my frist.

What are you going to get then?

Sorry to hear these guys scared you off.

FWIW when I was 16 I had a 70' Grand prix with a 455 V8 and it was quick and fun but it only lasted 8 months. It ended out in a tree because I was inexperienced.

I wish I could find another like it today but they are too rare and too hard to find.

Anywho... good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

i think a 1960's would be a good first car, i think it's to easy to get antagonized in a ls1, im a mother and i still have to try and zone out when there's a challenger around on the street, but 1st gen is more respected and more humbling than a ls1 , i think it would be a waste of money to get some random car, get like a mint '69 camaro or something, its safer than a 4th gen and you'll be less inclined to wreck it and therefore less likely to hurt yourself
Old 10-12-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I am looking at alot of 3rd gen Iroc-z's, there pertty mean looking and perform well too.