New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First or Second car?; ws6 difference?; how much cost to run 11s-12s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with a thirdgen, they make great cars; i'm 18 and my first car (at 16)was a 1991 Camaro RS 5.0 TBI, super fun, fast enough car, sold it for a 2500$ profit n bought me a 91 Z28 305 M5, that was a fun car too , sold that for a similar profit, then got a mint 92 Z28 350TPI, that car was a torque beast, handled on rails too, sold for a profit, got an 1991 Z28 350TPI exact same RPO codes everything. After a couple months, a sweet heads/cam/full bolt on LT4 converted 93 Z28 caught my eye, picked that up, sold the 91, and had a hell of a time with a super-powerful car, only got 8mpg though, so sold that for another profit n finally got me my 99 Arctic white SS camaro, and now my car swapping spree is over. There is no way i would have been able to afford my car had I not been the enterprising individual that I am, and as such hold a great deal of respect for the automotive assets in my possesion as such, I am compelled to act responsibly and accordingly on the road. There is nothing wrong with having a powerful car at an early age, what really matters is the temperment/maturity of the person in question. That being said, my first muscle car experience was in a thirdgen; My dad was test driving an 89 350TPI IROCZ, and I was in the passenger seat leaning over the dash to see if i could see over the hood when he tapped the throttle, bam I flew back in my seat, unable to pull myself out. the L98 packs a full load of torque, probably the most fun car out of all that i've owned. There are a great deal of similarities between the third and fourth gen, as well as differences, IROCZ's are one of the best handling production american cars ever made, and while they may lack the subliminal amounts of power as an LS1 Fbody, the torque alone of the L98 will be enough to make you grin with glee. I'd most certainly go with a thirdgen, they will always hold a place very dear to my heart.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Yeah my first car was a 73 nova straight six three on the column, my dad wouldn't let me by a v8 car thank god he didnt i would have wrecked it faster than 2 MONTHS IT TOOK TO CRASH the sixer (got my license in may buy the end of july wrecked) put a new front subframe on it and drove around for 3 more years with a six in, then I bought 83 Z28 crossfire...puke and dropped a 350 in the nova and ran 13.0's with it.

living in new jersey i honestly cant believe a parent would pay the car payment and insurance(under 25y/o 300-500/mo) for a ls1 fourth gen trust me, put that rocket under a "responsible" 16y/o *** and some **** is gonna happen, wtf think about when you where you sons, age i wanted one of these cars when i was a senior in hs, the ls1 cars were in there 1 st year it was my dream car. i would have hurt myself/someone else remember these cars do 150mph+
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Im 19 the 94 z28 that i own i have paid for myself when i turned 16. It was my first car and havent owned anything else. Also the fact that i have paid for my insurance the whole time has kept the speeding tickets down. If you get your car and ur showboating around acting like ur all badass in ur car i will guarentee u will end up in a bad situation. If you take it easy and slowly learn how to control your car everything should work out fine. And yes it is badass in itself just of owning a fast *** car in H.s. no matter what ppl have to say on this forum. I completely modded/repaired my car myself/ with the help of a few friends. After it was all said and done everyone who told my mom she is was an idiot for letting me buy what i wanted with my hard earned cash now looks like a moron considering i have learned how to work on cars, had much more pride in my car considering it doesn't suck no matter how old/new it is, and have something that is an ongoing project.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Also people race/do stupid **** in no matter what kind of car they have. I have been in more self inflicted sticky situations riding with a friend w/ a POS 92 bonneville (not SC'd) than i have been driving my own car.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

i got my 00 ws6 a couple of months after i was 17 wanted one for quite a while so i jsut saved up and thought about nothing but that everyday all day, and you just have to really set your mind to it, ppl will just laugh at you and say you dont need that kind of car and that its to much power for you, so **** em and do what YOU want. i have now had my car for over 4 months and i dont regret one thing about it, and yes i pay for it myself
Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car was an '85 Camaro. Then I bought a '98 Z28 at 19. I just sold the '98 and bought an '02 Z28. I am 21 now.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
Whenever I read posts like these I shudder in fear. Mostly because I remember how I was when I was that age. I think a powerful car like a trans am is not a good first car, specially for a teenage boy. At 15-16 we take stupid risks and it doesn't matter how smart or responsible the teen is in my opinion. I graduated highschool with a regents diploma and a 98 average and held down two jobs and I still raced my car on the street.
Now that I am married and a father I think about how much I endangered other people when I acted recklessly.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

yea i am probly gonna get the 3rd gen, i mean rated 205-245 stock is not bad for a car that is less that 4k. Also i mean i have tought about this alot and there probly no way i am gonna get a v6. Its gonna be v4 ( some rice car, maybe rsx,civic,who knows) or the v8 iroc. The irocs look pertty good and with a new hood and some paint they can look pertty mean, plus i can get a paint job for pertty much free due friends. Go if i haven't said it before i realy do thack you guys for the all the help.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i put my camaro in a ditch, and that was after having had another car for 2 years (a 98 ranger) so i was familiar with rwd, just not very proficient with high power rwd. Be safe. I wont tell you that you aren't responsible enough, because you saved 9000 after only being 15 yrs old. I commend you for that. Just be responsible. Street racing is STUPID. I still have been known to do it... but if you do, just make sure it is daylight, a big interstate or non-wooded highway and there is no one around.... be safe.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a 3rd Gen.. start looking NOW its hard to find one in good shape these days due to age and most owners beat the **** out of them the right deal with show up
Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

i started about a month ago, i found some realy good deals, that are in pertty good shape but they'll probly sell before i even turn 16 (jan)
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OverLord
i started about a month ago, i found some realy good deals, that are in pertty good shape but they'll probly sell before i even turn 16 (jan)
Why wait if you have the cash and you are finding great deals?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

just hopeing some better would pop up, greed is a mean thing.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:26 AM
Staging Lane

end of story get what u really want! cause if the third gen is some1 elses idea ull be thinking what if igot an LS1 in the end! but if you want to get a third gen buy one and ull have pleanty of experiance of working on stuff by the time ur ready to upgrade. Also if ur gonna spend 4k on a 3rd gen why not look into an LT1? i originally wanted a 3rd gen and realized for 6k i could end up w/ a decent LT1 instead of a 3rd gen! its ur choice but after being in ur sitituation only a few years ago my advice is to get what u really want cause ur the one who worked ur *** of to get that kind of cash saved!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
I guess I'm extremely lucky. I'm almost 19 and make 50/hr. Although that is a part-time job, working only about 10 hours a week. Don't even ask what I do though...haha
Haha wheres the gay **** emoticon when I need it. But seriously, wtf do you do.

Originally Posted by OneFastKid
I turn 16 in 2 weeks and will most likelt get an LS1 SS/WS6. I understand the power these cars have and respect it. I personally do not like the i dea of "street racing" or any other act of stupidity on the street. (not busting on those that may street race) It is close to impossible to resist the urge to run the guy sittin next to you at the light when there is no traffic, I'm sure everyone on this board has done it. My message to the guys my age: Take it to the track and don't be irresponsible and stupid. Show you can handle and don't look like the spoiled immature kid with an F-body. Oh, by the way... I just registered but have lurked here and at RevXtreme for the past two years but just now registered here and still haven't at RX (dont have a car so I don't feel right registering on a CAR forum).
You sound a hell of alot more mature than the other to be 16 yr old who started this pointless thread. Because in the end, any 16 yr old is going to do what they want, not what a bunch of people say on a car forum.

Last edited by Zymosis; 10-15-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rbobryk20
end of story get what u really want! cause if the third gen is some1 elses idea ull be thinking what if igot an LS1 in the end! but if you want to get a third gen buy one and ull have pleanty of experiance of working on stuff by the time ur ready to upgrade. Also if ur gonna spend 4k on a 3rd gen why not look into an LT1? i originally wanted a 3rd gen and realized for 6k i could end up w/ a decent LT1 instead of a 3rd gen! its ur choice but after being in ur sitituation only a few years ago my advice is to get what u really want cause ur the one who worked ur *** of to get that kind of cash saved!
but wouldn't the insurance on the lt1 be almost the same the ls1?
Old 10-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

not neccessarily cause the resale on Lt1's is garbage compared to there younger sibilings. When i turned 16 on my 94 z28 i was like 300-400 dollars cheaper(per 6 months) than a good friend of mine w/ an Ls1 bird. We both have the same insurance company, both got good student discount, both our parents have clean driving records. I would say just the fact that if anything happens w/ my car they only have to shell out 5-6k MAX(back in 2002 that is) and his car blue booked for near 16k cause of extremely low mileage and excellent condition at that time. Now we are both older have impeccable driving records lots more mileage (less value) and mine is significantly cheaper but his has only gone done very little compared to mine.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Also to just give u a look at some numbers I payed about 1300 every six months for the first 6 months then it has been going down slowly since. That is in south florida which probably doesn't have the cheapest insurance. Now i pay 750 every 6 months im 19 clean record.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Zymosis]Haha wheres the gay **** emoticon when I need it. But seriously, wtf do you do.

Ok, fine...I'm a kid's party entertainer. Worthless but it pays the bills. And on some weekdays I sell roofing, siding, and windows.

OverLord- In the end, its your opinion that matters, its your money, and its your car. Just be aware of the potential of a 300+hp car, that's all. It easily has the ability to get you into alot of trouble fast.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Originally Posted by Zymosis
Haha wheres the gay **** emoticon when I need it. But seriously, wtf do you do.
Ok, fine...I'm a kid's party entertainer. Worthless but it pays the bills. And on some weekdays I sell roofing, siding, and windows.

OverLord- In the end, its your opinion that matters, its your money, and its your car. Just be aware of the potential of a 300+hp car, that's all. It easily has the ability to get you into alot of trouble fast.
Hell, thats the same reason I told my mom I sold crack. Paid the pills...ok kidding. But 50 bucks an hour is nuts man. Id do anything to get over my 10 an hr. (Including entertain little kids/sell roofing etc.)