New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning stick

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of all the stick cars that I have driven I have found my SS to be the hardest to drive except for an old Jeep I drove once. I don't mean this to be a turn off, I think it makes you a better driver, but I drove an Izuzu Hombre for years and that is easy now; was hard to learn on. I also drove an old BMW and that was really easy. All in all, you'll be fine.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Z28 was the first stick car I've owned. I've had it for four years and I think stalled it a total of two times.....one of those being after I hit a tree

These cars are easy to get going from the start. To me the toughest thing to do is get it smooth into second gear when just driving normal. Sometimes it ends up being a tad bit jerky.

In my opinion though there is just something cool about driving a car that not everyone would know how to drive....let alone drive good. And a chick that can drive stick......oh man, that equals total hotness!!
Old 10-11-2005, 12:34 AM
TECH Addict

I learned on my old 93 Eclipse...with all of 95 horse powere in the lil bugger....funny thing is I bought the car before I knew how to drive it! lol....it's pretty easy now, but EVERY car is different. I sold my old 5 speed eclipse about a year ago and got in a M6 Vette the other day and within a few minutes picked up where I left off. Came pretty natural!

I got an A4 Camaro and kinda wish I had a M6....so I'm looking for an M6 Fbod.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Teching In

I just bought an 04 GTO with an M6 last week. This is the first manual I'v had and I'm running into some conflicts regarding driving.

The biggest one is when upshifting, I pretty well understand to back off the throttle just a little, but I've also heard to totally release the throttle as the clutch goes in, and not to bring the throttle back until the clutch is coming out. I've found it to be way smoother just to hold the throttle constant while the clutch is in. Is one way safer/better for the clutch, or is this just a user preference?

Another thing that I'm wondering about is how to skip a gear. Say I wanted to go from 1st to 3rd or 4th, do I need to add throttle up to do this, and how much? I'd just go and try it for my self, but I cringe everytime I do a shift and hear the tires lock/chirp.

Just looking to get some information to get me started with so I don't do any absolutely unnecessary damage.

Thanks a lot guys,
Ross
Old 10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ande3171
I just bought an 04 GTO with an M6 last week. This is the first manual I'v had and I'm running into some conflicts regarding driving.

The biggest one is when upshifting, I pretty well understand to back off the throttle just a little, but I've also heard to totally release the throttle as the clutch goes in, and not to bring the throttle back until the clutch is coming out. I've found it to be way smoother just to hold the throttle constant while the clutch is in. Is one way safer/better for the clutch, or is this just a user preference?
I take my foot totally off the throttle, and as the clutch comes up I add some throttle back in

Another thing that I'm wondering about is how to skip a gear. Say I wanted to go from 1st to 3rd or 4th, do I need to add throttle up to do this, and how much? I'd just go and try it for my self, but I cringe everytime I do a shift and hear the tires lock/chirp.
If you're hearing the tires chirp and lock, there is something wrong, they shouldn't be chirping unless you're really into the throttle, and quick shifting(or power shifting), are you sure you're going up 1-3 not 3-2
Just looking to get some information to get me started with so I don't do any absolutely unnecessary damage.

Thanks a lot guys,
Ross
Best thing to do is practice, you aren't likely to smoke the clutch (they are pretty good for a stocker) you'll take a few thousand miles off the life, but being new to a manual that's to be expected.
Driving a stick isn't really one of those things you can learn by reading about it, you have to get out there and do it (mistakes and all)
Old 10-31-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Well i pretty much learned how to drive a stick on my 2000 camaro z28 m6, when i was at the dealership the guy took me out in a volkswagon cabreat man that thing was EASSSSY to drive but yeah i pretty much learned with this car. Also this is my first manual car i have ever owned.

It stalled out on me 3 time's on the way home.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EugThinks
I agree with all the comments about LS1s being good cars to learn on, mostly because the clutch is so forgiving. Seems like American cars tend towards having a bigger "slipping range" on the clutch, where a Japanese car (for example) has a much smaller range... meaning it's much easier to accidentally let go of the clutch pedal a tiny bit too much and stall the car.
I can second that, the american stick cars Iv'e driven have a much better clutch feel, easier to use.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
I take my foot totally off the throttle, and as the clutch comes up I add some throttle back in

If you're hearing the tires chirp and lock, there is something wrong, they shouldn't be chirping unless you're really into the throttle, and quick shifting(or power shifting), are you sure you're going up 1-3 not 3-2

Best thing to do is practice, you aren't likely to smoke the clutch (they are pretty good for a stocker) you'll take a few thousand miles off the life, but being new to a manual that's to be expected.
Driving a stick isn't really one of those things you can learn by reading about it, you have to get out there and do it (mistakes and all)
When its happened its because I'm putting letting the throttle go all together, and shifting at to an engine thats running at idle. I know why this is happening now, but the point I was making is that I'm hesitant to experiment with anything having had this happen a couple times as it can't be good for anything.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM
Teching In

The first stick I drove was a rental Fiat Punta in Italy. It's a 4 cylinder hatchback. No instruction, just trying to figure the darn thing out. I stalled 5 times trying to get it out of the parking space. In about 30 minutes I felt somewhat comfortable driving it.

A few years after that I bought my '99 Z28 used. The former owner gave me a few pointers and I practiced driving it around the lot. It was about 100 miles to get home, but I drove it the whole way. After a week I was pretty comfortable.

I've had the car for almost 6 months now. I'm glad I went with a 6 speed. Driving is so much more fun...When I say that I mean that I'm more involved when driving. Now I've added a short stick and a pro 5.0 shifter. Both are a must do mod!!! The stock shifter is not adequate. If you want a manual, buy it and give it some time. If you're a performance guy, chances are you'll love it.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car drives itself! Slowly let the clutch out and let the torque do the work. or just flick the gas pedal to get revs to 2K and let the clutch out slowly and then you'll feel the point of engagement. oh and get a reduced throw stick and toss that junk stock piece i think WS6 store has one or any other sponser. its a must cause crunching gears isnt fun
Old 10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

go get a part time job as a porter and learn on everyone else's car like i did, lol. i learned on a brand new 2000 SS with the factory Hurst and 10 miles on it while i was in college working as a porter at a chevy dealer, the firm clutch and shorter throw made it pretty easy. everyone has an opinion on the A4 vs. M6 debate, it all comes down to what you really want for yourself, i personally would do the M6.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe K. 99 Zeee!!
...I've had the car for almost 6 months now. I'm glad I went with a 6 speed. Driving is so much more fun...When I say that I mean that I'm more involved when driving...
Good choice of words, 'more involved'. It's a lot of fun to drive a manual (if you've got the right vehicle).
Old 11-01-2005, 11:02 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
You probably picked one of the easiest cars to learn to drive a stick on, these cars have TORQUE and lots of it. You won't even have to touch the gas to get started in 1st just let the clutch out slowly and away you go.
Now to really learn to drive an M6, I'd find a deserted parking lot, and just go practice starting off, in about an hour you'll be doing pretty good, and after a week living with the car and driving it, you'll be just fine.
Mine is the first manual since 87, it took about 15 min to get accustomed to the clutch, then about a week to get totally comfortable with it
I agree...was teaching my wife to drive the SS...She never stalled and was actually starting to have fun (can't blame her)...I just hope she doesn't make this a habit....

Maybe I need to get her one.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I learned to drive stick at 23 years old in my neighborhood. Since then I have had 3 stick cars and all were up over 450 horsepower. It got frustrating, but ended up being kind of fun. After about 2 hours of drive time or so, I ended up selling it, getting another stick car (94 z28 vert w/396 under the hood). I had to drive a rental car 11 hours away, then drive it back. That was pretty difficult especially in crappy weather with a HUGE cam, stop & go traffic on I10 for hours and me being sick.

Guess what? Now I have an A4 and I wouldn't have it any other way I'm lazy
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

First time I ever drove was a stick, I was 15 and drove my dads old 83 BMW 320i, my dad ended up letting me drive it daily when I turned 16 and gave it back when I was 18 and bought my 67. Drove literally hundreds of manual tranny cars (mostly corvettes) and I would agree that american manuals always felt a little better too me, although the ferrari testarossa, and twin turbo 911's were always nice.

I am going to let my girlfriend learn how to drive a stick in my SS so I can have an excuse to upgrade the clutch.....not till I can afford it will she learn though
Old 11-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

AFAIK, the method that's healthiest for the clutch (causes the least wear) is to be completely off the throttle until the clutch is re-engaged, and to re-engage the clutch as fast as you can at the moment that the engine hits the exact RPM for the gear/speed. But we're not machines, and that kind of timing takes a whooole lot of practice. Personally, I do my best not to touch the throttle while the clutch is disengaged, but I do tend to slip the clutch a bit to make things smoother. It's worked for me so far... but then, I'm no stick-driving expert.

To skip a gear, all you have to do is let the RPMs drop further, to the point that's right for the gear you want to be in. Simple enough, you just have to make sure that you start out at a high enough RPM that your end result isn't too slow for the engine... that means not shifting from 1st to 4th at like 5mph. Sometimes, I like driving around using nothing but 1st and 5th/6th... since pushing 1st is enough to be speeding on lots of city streets anyway. One thing I've learned is that your shifter will be easier to drop into whatever gear when the engine gets around the correct RPM... so to help you figure out what the right RPMs are for a proper shift, you could just push lightly on the shifter with the clutch disengaged, watch the RPM dropping (keep an eye on the road!), and see when the shifter "falls" into place. Takes a little experimenting to find the right amount of pressure, though.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

What do you guy's with the stick cars rev it to from a stop to get it going ? ie, 1k 2k 3k idle ? Just curious.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

These cars are so easy to learn on. I taught myself how to drive it the weekend I got it. With all my mods done to my car, driving my brother's near stock 01 WS6 now is like driving an automatic. It all becomes a reflex that you don't even have to think about eventually.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by minesfaster
What do you guy's with the stick cars rev it to from a stop to get it going ? ie, 1k 2k 3k idle ? Just curious.
you don't really rev it up..... you sort of roll on....I leave from just about idle... and 3k will smoke the tires...
Old 11-03-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by minesfaster

1500-2200 clutch drop launches you into next week

around town off idle at like 1300+- shift into second at 3000

Quick Reply: Learning stick