Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I get an F-body without T-tops?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:37 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hondakiller
i've heard the weight difference is 12 lbs between a hardtop and t-top car. structurally, they're identical. hardtop cars are just sheetmetal instead of removeable glass. IMO, its worth the difference. at first, i didn't care about having mine out but now i take them out every chance i get.
Well, kinda sorta but not quite.

They are not structually identical, first of all. A hard top has a bar that goes above the side window from the corner of the windsheild to the B-pillar. Second of all, the roof panel on a hard top isn't sheet metal.. it's plastic. It doesn't do much to change the structural rigidity of the car... it's the side bars that do it.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:46 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is stronger structually without them, it's worth it.
This isn't true. The top on both models is almost identical, and they are structurally the same.

Take one apart if you don't believe me!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:57 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z98
This isn't true. The top on both models is almost identical, and they are structurally the same.

Take one apart if you don't believe me!
Not exactly true.

Here's what a hard top looks like with the roof removed. T-top cars don't have the bars on the outside edge.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm12sec
My dad hates T-tops, he doesn't want to deal with them. The car is stronger structually without them, it's worth it.
That's not the case with the fourth-gen. Both hardtops and t-tops were built with the same t-top roof structure. The only difference were metal bars that run above the door glass to hold the hardtops on.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

I've had 2 3rd gens with t tops that leaked, one still leaked after all new seals. That was the end of that. I haven't heard too many cases of 4th gens leaking though. I opted for a convertible this time, I got tired of taking the t tops on and off, and the very little storage space you had in a coupe was then taken up by your t tops when you had them off. I'd probably own another t top car, LS1 this time around.

My convertible is pretty quiet and doesn't have any leaks...
Old 10-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my $.02

I personally had T-Tops on my 97, and wouldn't consider another f-body without them. I really didn't take them off very much (maybe 20 times a year) but I NEVER put the shades in. They came out the day I bought it, and never went back in

I just loved having a massive sunroof. The glass roof was WAY worth it
Old 10-30-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T-tops on the 3rd gen cars plain suck. The body is a lot less rigid, and water collects under the seals. Which then rusts holes in the metal, causing them to leak.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

My 93 Z was a hardtop car and I kinda missed the t-tops but after buying my 99 with t-tops I don't see how I was happy with the hardtop. Also i'm 22 and live in sunny Florida so I guess that has some to do with it.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Don't listen to the "leakers." They rarely actually leak. When they do, it's usually a matter of careless installation. Make sure the edges of the weatherstrip aren't folded/rolled over (easy to do, btw) and that they lay flat. You CAN force water in with a high pressure car wash, fairly easily. GM designs all their exterior seals to be good to 12 PSI IIRC. Some designs inherently seal better, of course. This 12 PSI will keep out all but the most gale force rainstorms.

That being said, initially I wanted a hardtop 6 speed car but the right deal came along. Once I added SFCs, I have NO regrets. It's as tight as any hardtop car, even with SFCs. Still split on the A4 choice, but I sit in traffic alot so it's a wash. A lot of the t-top decision will ride on how tolerant you are of temperature/weather conditions and how the climate is where you live. I also ride a motorcycle so I am pretty tolerant. I also have the tops off a lot more when it's cooler vs. when it's hotter. I don't care much if it's 40-50 degrees outside. Zip up the jacket and feel the wind! 100 degrees? A/C all the way. I've taken my t-tops off at least 30-40 times this year. Bottom line, glad I got t-tops. Do subframes (no matter which you get) and never look back.

Go with what fits your goals and desires and most importantly: the best DEAL you can find. If you plan to autocross the car, you may feel the benefit of the hardtop. Otherwise, once you do subframes, you'll never feel a difference.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wesst
I love my stripper hardtop SS. Hell, do you know how hard it is to find an SS that doesn't even have a rear defroster? Actually, would mine be considered a stripper if I actually opted for SS, CME, but declined power windows/locks and anything else that was an option? The salesman claimed they would never be able to sell this car if I declined delivery due to the lack of options.

Mine is a stripper hardtop Z28. If it were still offered my year (2000), I would have ordered an "old style" 1LE (with radio/air delete and Koni double adjustables all around, as well as bushing/swaybar upgrades). I did not want a luxury car, I wanted the lightest/strongest/fastest and most durable ride I could order (zing not bling ). I plan on owning/daily driving this car for >250K miles!! My only regret is that GM did not offer a body color roof option so I would have been able to get my preferred silver color and not black like all of the other trillion black F bodies out there (I really do not like the "Mitsushitsu Eclipse" black roof on a non black body color car). BTW, I too have crank windows and no rear defroster.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

I love my t-tops. In the Summer it is so nice to cruise around with t-tops off at the beach. I even take them out when I go to lunch at work and then pop them back in when I get back to work so that my car isn't wide open. It only takes a few seconds to take them out or them put in. Plus you get can smell your tire smoke much better when the smoke rolls over the sides and the back and into the interior
Old 10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, you'll be happy either way as long as you like the car, and it is a mechanically sound one.

I've had hartop, t-top, and my current vert... each one has it's own charms.

Course I like the vert best but I am not a drag racer.

There are pluses and minuses to each arrangement and for each thing you miss, there is something else in benefit.

I would say in particular, if you are lazy, hate being too hot or too cold, or know you're going to put a sub in the back, then go ahead and pick up that lonely hardtop nobody else wants.

T's are so common on the later years though gluck finding a good hardtop.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

im 22, at first i didnt like not having t tops, i thought the car felt really stuffy inside because i had a 3rd gen before it.

at that price and milage and stuff id get it. i like my hardtop now that i have it. they are stronger and lighter and launch better
Old 10-31-2005, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

gotta have the t tops. no question about it
Old 10-31-2005, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

I am 18 and I absolutly love the T-tops. I have been around camaros literally my whole life and everyone our family has had, has had T-tops. Whenever I drive the Z28 and it's over 50 degrees I will usually have them out. It's just so fun. Even when they are out I love having the glass roof. I wouldn't have it any other way.