New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My funny LS1 F-body story...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005 | 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Default My funny LS1 F-body story...

My 98 TA/LS1/M6 was my first performance car purchase ever. I can remember pulling into my driveway after buying it, and being in awe of my new car. I had no real prior experience with F-body's or how they work.

That NIGHT I took my car for a scoot, and upon returning home, I was turning off the car, and as soon as I rotated the ignition to the off position, I heard a strange tumbling sound. My heart sank. I thought to myself "WTF"
( where's Theodore Franklin =) was that noise??

I got out of my car not knowing what the mechanical sounding tumble was. The next DAY I couldn't recreate the sound. This frustrated me. The following NIGHT I heard that odd mechanical tumbling again after turning off my car. That was it, I was angry. Thoughts of a strange transmission problem, post-detonation, or something worse. I started the car again, and i was going to listen closely, and in doing so, I saw my headlights raise. And immidiatley I knew I was an idiot. I turned the car off, and that mechanical tumbling was my lights rotting back into the car. That's also why it only happened at night...

Man. Just thought I'd share my dumb story
Old 10-10-2005 | 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

congrads on the new car... i liked your story, made me smile. thanks
Old 10-10-2005 | 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

those things are noisy eh?
Old 10-10-2005 | 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

Oh my God! My wife says I am just like you! What is that sound... Do you hear that... What was that noise... Do you hear something strange... Did you hear a clank... What is that rattling...

Then her exasperated: What are you doing with the hood up... Why are you pulling to the side of the road... It is fine... You are hearing things...

Hahah!

"Paranoia is just reality on a finer scale."
Old 10-10-2005 | 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

I had a similar sound... mine was a weird, cyclical "ka-chunk" after I shut off the car, quite a few times in a row, in an even rhythm. I even posted about it here, and people came to the conclusion that it was a fuel pump or something similar. I figured they were right, and stopped worrying about it, until one day when I shut down the car and jumped out really quickly to get something out of the trunk. With my head in the trunk, I suddenly started hearing the sound again... and finally realized it was the trunk CD-changer, cycling through CD trays.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

I thought for sure the whole time I was reading this that it was going to be the power antenna going down.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:26 AM
Launching!

I thought it was going to be the cats tingling after you turn off the car some times.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2005 | 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol...those are some funny stories. im the same way, hypocondriac. thats why i own an camaro. less motors and moving parts to worry about. good stories though guys, i especially like the first one.
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

ok here goes mine

we took the sway bar off my 00 SS to take to the track couldnt quite get to the 12's (13.00 all day....97 in high humidity) so hubby took everything out of the car...you know anything to get that time you want sooo bad......
anyway we got her in the 12's that night finally.
hubby put sway bar back on and i went on my way, next night when i got home from work i pulled into the driveway and heard a "thunk" so i start gettin sick with worry thinking oh great we pushed her too hard and broke something!! made hubby get in and pull out of driveway and pull back in....he is all smiles and giggles.....he gets out of car and tells me he didnt bolt spare and jack back down!!!!!
Old 10-10-2005 | 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great story.
Old 10-22-2005 | 12:10 AM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EugThinks
I had a similar sound... mine was a weird, cyclical "ka-chunk" after I shut off the car, quite a few times in a row, in an even rhythm. I even posted about it here, and people came to the conclusion that it was a fuel pump or something similar. I figured they were right, and stopped worrying about it, until one day when I shut down the car and jumped out really quickly to get something out of the trunk. With my head in the trunk, I suddenly started hearing the sound again... and finally realized it was the trunk CD-changer, cycling through CD trays.
Hahahah! Awsome!
Old 10-22-2005 | 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Great story
Old 10-22-2005 | 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is some funny stuff.
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

the first time i test drove the Formula, when i got back to the dealer i shut off the car and i heard a weird noise. i asked the guy if he heard it too, and he just made a dumb face and said no. then when i drove it again, it made the noise after i shut it off at the dealer again. but this time i was paying attention...damn antenna
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm...One time I was driving down the road and I shifted hard into second and heard a loud pop and my car hopped a couple times. I was coasting down the road at 55mph and heard wierd noises every now and then. I finally stopped and I kept hearing the popping noises when I rolled the car. Hmm turned out to be that I lost about 7 teeth on the ring and pinion in my 10-bolt I guess I wasn't as lucky as yall were.

Last edited by 777; 10-26-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

my car was acting weird a few months ago. i have an after market viper alarm on my 93 formula. I went to turn on the alarm and the headlights would go up and down like 2x in a row. Then i would hear the spinning sound on one of the headlight motors when they go bad. I was like WTF is going on here. i thought a faulty ground or my alarm was causing it. NO! It was actually because my drivers side headlight motor had gone bad, and that was causing my problems. So i replaced it and all was well after that.
Old 10-26-2005 | 10:20 PM

HAHAHa
Old 10-31-2005 | 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LMAO at 777 sorry man, but I was reading everyones stories, thinkin it's possible cars made funny noises when the turn off... but what a coincidence if it made a funny noise right after you shifted hard into second. So I'm expecting an explanation thats completely hilarious that has nothing to do with the hard shift and sure enough.... you weren't as lucky as they were.