Sponsored by:

Most you have towed with your fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by glennhl
Hey, this guy wasn't asking if you would tow or not, that is completely his decision! What he wants to know is how much he can tow. The towing of your Camaro is 1000 pounds.
Why do you kids care what it looks like???? 1000 lbs is fine--not 2400 lbs though..
Old 12-25-2005, 05:02 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what the manual says It can be up to 1500 lbs in the right conditions, but of course only with the proper equipment/precautions:

Towing a Trailer

CAUTION: If you don’t use the correct equipment and drive properly, you can lose control when you pull a trailer. For example, if the trailer is too heavy, the brakes may not work well -- or even at all. You and your passengers could be seriously injured. You may also damage your vehicle; the resulting repairs would not be covered by your warranty. Pull a trailer only if you have followed all the steps in this section. Ask your dealer for advice and information about towing a trailer with your vehicle.

Your vehicle can tow a trailer if it is equipped with the proper trailer towing equipment.

During the first 500 miles (800 km) that you tow a trailer, don’t drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and don’t make starts at full throttle. This helps your engine and other parts of your vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Obey speed limit restrictions when towing a trailer. Don’t drive faster than the maximum posted speed for trailers (or no more than 55 mph (90 km/h)) to save wear on your vehicle’s parts.
Three important considerations have to do with weight:
- the weight of the trailer,
- the weight of the trailer tongue
- and the total weight on your vehicle’s tires.

Weight of the Trailer

How heavy can a trailer safely be?

It should never weigh more than 1,500 lbs. (680 kg) under normal driving conditions. It should never weigh more than 1,000 lbs. (450 kg) when driven on long grades at high ambient temperatures (above 90° F/ 32° C). But even that can be too heavy.

Weight of the Trailer Tongue

The tongue load (A) of any trailer is an important weight to measure because it affects the total or gross weight of your vehicle. The Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) includes the curb weight of the vehicle, any cargo you may carry in it, and the people who will be riding in the vehicle. And if you tow a trailer, you must add the tongue load to the GVW because your vehicle will be carrying that weight, too. See “Loading Your Vehicle” in the Index for more information about your vehicle’s maximum load capacity.

If you’re using a weight-carrying hitch, the trailer tongue (A) should weigh 10 percent of the total loaded trailer weight (B). If you have a weight-distributing hitch, the trailer tongue (A) should weigh 12 percent of the total loaded trailer weight (B).

After you’ve loaded your trailer, weigh the trailer and then the tongue, separately, to see if the weights are proper. If they aren’t, you may be able to get them right simply by moving some items around in the trailer.

Total Weight on Your Vehicle’s Tires

Be sure your vehicle’s tires are inflated to the upper limit for cold tires. You’ll find these numbers on the Tire-Loading label at the rear edge of the driver’s door or see “Loading Your Vehicle” in the Index. Then be sure you don’t go over the GVW limit for your vehicle, including the weight of the trailer tongue.

Hitches

It’s important to have the correct hitch equipment. Crosswinds, large trucks going by, and rough roads are a few reasons why you’ll need the right hitch. Here are some rules to follow:

The rear bumper on your vehicle is not intended for hitches. Do not attach rental hitches or other bumper-type hitches to it. Use only a frame-mounted hitch that does not attach to the bumper.

Will you have to make any holes in the body of your vehicle when you install a trailer hitch? If you do, then be sure to seal the holes later when you remove the hitch. If you don’t seal them, deadly carbon monoxide (CO) from your exhaust can get into your vehicle (see “Carbon Monoxide” in the Index). Dirt and water can, too.

Safety Chains

You should always attach chains between your vehicle and your trailer. Cross the safety chains under the tongue of the trailer so that the tongue will not drop to the road if it becomes separated from the hitch. Instructions about safety chains may be provided by the hitch manufacturer or by the trailer manufacturer. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for attaching safety chains and do not attach them to the bumper. Always leave just enough slack so you can turn with your rig. And, never allow safety chains to drag on the ground.

Trailer Brakes

If your trailer weighs more than 1,000 lbs. (450 kg) loaded, then it needs its own brakes -- and they must be adequate. Be sure to read and follow the instructions for the trailer brakes so you’ll be able to install, adjust and maintain them properly. Because you have anti-lock brakes, do not try to tap into your vehicle’s brake system. If you do, both brake systems won’t work well, or at all.

Driving On Grades

Reduce speed and shift to a lower gear before you start down a long or steep downgrade. If you don’t shift down, you might have to use your brakes so much that they would get hot and no longer work well.

On a long uphill grade, shift down and reduce your speed to around 45 mph (70 km/h) to reduce the possibility of engine and transmission overheating.

Maintenance When Trailer Towing

Your vehicle will need service more often when you’re pulling a trailer. See the Maintenance Schedule for more on this. Things that are especially important in trailer operation are automatic transmission fluid (don’t overfill), engine oil, axle lubricant, drive belts, cooling system, and brake system. Each of these is covered in this manual, and the Index will help you find them quickly. If you’re trailering, it’s a good idea to review this information before you start your trip. Check periodically to see that all hitch nuts and bolts are tight.

Engine Cooling When Trailer Towing

Your cooling system may temporarily overheat during severe operating conditions. See “Engine Overheating” in the Index.
Loading Your Vehicle

Two labels on your vehicle show how much weight it may properly carry. The Tire-Loading Information label found on the rear edge of the driver’s door tells you the proper size, speed rating and recommended inflation pressures for the tires on your vehicle. It also gives you important information about the number of people that can be in your vehicle and the total weight that you can carry. This weight is called the vehicle capacity weight and includes the weight of all occupants, cargo, and all nonfactory-installed options.

The other label is the Certification label, found on the rear edge of the driver’s door. It tells you the gross weight capacity of your vehicle, called Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The GVWR includes the weight of the vehicle, all occupants, fuel and cargo. Never exceed the GVWR for your vehicle, or the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for either the front or rear axle. And, if you do have a heavy load, you should spread it out. Don’t carry more than 100 lbs. (45 kg) in your rear area.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you ACW, I looked last night and found that info in my manual. I also found a spot where is says my ls1 is 350cid I suppose it is a little too heavy for my SS. Guys, remember tongue weight would only have been 200 lbs or so, not too bad considering how much weight a few passengers adds up to. And like all the other mods that people do to a camaro, a trailer hitch is bolt in, it can come it quite easily... Anyways, I guess I will need to find another way of towing the boat.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

i pulled my camaro from the end of the track back to the pits once with my trans am but there was no weight on it it was a tow rope wrapped around the rearend going to the frontend of my camaro.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Lithium
Check your owners manual for towing specs.