New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is best buy for the most horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLK85
That may be right for the inital purchase but try figuring it out at 50 bucks to fill the bottle and say one bottle a week (low end) it adds up quick. A few of my buddies spent well over a $1000 last summer (3 months where Im from). If you have enough to spend that much money on filling the bottle all the time go with Nitrous.

So that would not be the best bang for the buck unless you rarely use the bottle.

If you look at the long run a Turbo will give you more bang for your buck. I vote turbo.
Yeah and about $20,000 to do it right on a stock car (meaning all parts and supporting parts).
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

If your looking for monster HP(greater than 1000rwhp) $20,000 sounds right but it doesnt sound like thats what he wants.
Old 01-24-2006 | 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

So that would not be the best bang for the buck unless you rarely use the bottle.

If you look at the long run a Turbo will give you more bang for your buck. I vote turbo.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. You can get a lightly used, fully loaded nitrous kit for $400, fill a 10lb bottle for $33, install it yourself in an afternoon (with the change to copper plugs if necessary- $25), get your set-up tuned in two dyno pulls (another $100, but I ran my 100 shot for a year with no tuning and it worked great) and be out racing that evening. Not even $600 for 150rwhp. If you figure the average turbo set-up is nearly $10K, that leaves you $9400 to refill the bottle.
Let's say you score a killer deal on a used turbo kit for $3000 and you are even smart enough to install it yourself. The tuning alone will probably be another $500 at least (FI guys feel free to correct me here), not to mention upgrading the fuel system. You'll have sprayed yourself silly before the cost evens out...
Old 01-25-2006 | 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. You can get a lightly used, fully loaded nitrous kit for $400, fill a 10lb bottle for $33, install it yourself in an afternoon (with the change to copper plugs if necessary- $25), get your set-up tuned in two dyno pulls (another $100, but I ran my 100 shot for a year with no tuning and it worked great) and be out racing that evening. Not even $600 for 150rwhp. If you figure the average turbo set-up is nearly $10K, that leaves you $9400 to refill the bottle.
Let's say you score a killer deal on a used turbo kit for $3000 and you are even smart enough to install it yourself. The tuning alone will probably be another $500 at least (FI guys feel free to correct me here), not to mention upgrading the fuel system. You'll have sprayed yourself silly before the cost evens out...
yeah it depends. NOS is great but it does have it's draw backs. Although many could install themselfs, a lot won't. A propoer install including all the saftey devices (you either have to be brave or foolish not to have them). Will certainly cost a good few hundred $$$. And refilling will cost, even in time and fuel just to get it done. Plus NOS is not 24/7.

It makes a great stop gap to up the bhp while more expensive mods are done. Then as just a bonus later on. A nice bolt on/cam car with 430rwhp & a 150 shot is not something to be sniffed at.
Old 01-25-2006 | 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

my vote would be for bolt-ons and then FI later, i know acouple people with NOS and they've replaced their engines because of it. a ford engine wont hold up with NOS, even though IMO the LS1 is a great enigne but theres a point where you'll ask yourself "do i have the money to replace my mistake?" but that just me
Old 01-25-2006 | 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

a ford engine wont hold up with NOS,
Respectfully disagree again. Bone-stock 5.0s will take a 175shot all day long...ask me how I know this. I also know plenty of folks running 150+shots on stock LSx engines. Nitrous is no worse than any other power adder on your engine (although the initial spike in cylinder pressure is harder than FI) and won't blow stuff up without an underlying cause. But I digress...please check out the nitrous forums for more info.
Old 01-25-2006 | 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000HTSS
my vote would be for bolt-ons and then FI later, i know acouple people with NOS and they've replaced their engines because of it. a ford engine wont hold up with NOS, even though IMO the LS1 is a great enigne but theres a point where you'll ask yourself "do i have the money to replace my mistake?" but that just me

You very misinformed. which is okay, but dont speak if you dont know first hand. I havent even changed the plugs on my car and im running 11's with nitrous, for over a year, NO PROBLEMS, which brings me to my next point. Sure it will break, doesnt everything? It wont be bc of nitrous, it might be my fuel pump gave out, nitrous isnt bad. You just have to respect it. They replaced there engines because they didnt respect it and tried to push the envelope, the same dam thing can happen if you put too much boost on your car. Same deal. Just remember, in the speed game you live mostly by one rule.

You gotta pay to play.
Old 01-26-2006 | 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

ok me personally im new to f-bodys and ls1's but i have never liked nitrous yeah it is definatly the best hp for your dollar but somethin about it turns me away, i look at it like cheating, plus when i wanna make power i want it always there whenever i want it. me im either gonna do h/c or FI on my trans am, i just cant ever bring myself to use the stuff. id rather spend the money to make a nice *** car that puts down 450hp all the time then say "hey guys i got 310hp but i have 460hp and im as fast as your supercharged car with my nitrous on" i just cant respect someone who wins a race because they sprayed either... not to put down nitrous runners but its just not for me i dunno who else feels this way also
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would like to disagree with you on some things. Ok you get a slightly used kit for $400, fill bottle $33, install it yourself (free, if you feel you can do it), change plugs $25, dyno is $350 plus an hour or so on the dyno for $100=$450 total. I would like to know where you tune for $100. Don't say yourself because then you have $500 software plus $1000+ laptop. You are going to need (or at least should for safety) a window switch, and all of the other stuff which is a few hundred bucks. You will need fuel stuff as well most likely.

Now you can get a used d1sc for $3500. So while nitrous is still the cheaper route you can't compare a used $400 ghetto rigged nitrous system to a fully custom built brand new $10k turbo system.
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Red face

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
ok me personally im new to f-bodys and ls1's but i have never liked nitrous yeah it is definatly the best hp for your dollar but somethin about it turns me away, i look at it like cheating, plus when i wanna make power i want it always there whenever i want it. me im either gonna do h/c or FI on my trans am, i just cant ever bring myself to use the stuff. id rather spend the money to make a nice *** car that puts down 450hp all the time then say "hey guys i got 310hp but i have 460hp and im as fast as your supercharged car with my nitrous on" i just cant respect someone who wins a race because they sprayed either... not to put down nitrous runners but its just not for me i dunno who else feels this way also

WOW! R U serious? CHEATING? LOL. Listen, the NHRA has a page called poweradders, they are in the same class as each other, its NITROUS,SUPERCHARGER, TURBO. So basically what ur saying is either race NA or ur cheating? So what if i got nitrous, cant ur *** buy it? Oh well i got it and im gonna use it. Dont use it for all i care i'll own you with or without it.
Old 01-26-2006 | 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

wow man u take to much offense from my own opinion, damn u need to chill. 1st of all i said i dont like it to "me" its like cheating. i never said it was bad or i dont like people who use it or your dumb if u use it. yeah im sure its fun as hell to use and yes u get lots of power but i dont like it. and as far as u owning me with or without who gives a **** dont be a douche about **** theres always someone faster and i never said i was fast obviously look at my mods in my sig. i just saying if im gonna make my car fast im gonna do it so the powers always there so my car is actually fast not just hoped up on steroids, heres how i look at it, if someone like my self has a 13 second car or even a 12 second car and uses the juice to run 11's i wouldnt consider that car a 11 second car its still a 12 or 13 second car either way. i can take a honda and run 13's with nitrous but its not a 13 second car.

Last edited by rgaynor85; 01-26-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2006 | 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
wow man u take to much offense from my own opinion, damn u need to chill. 1st of all i said i dont like it to "me" its like cheating. i never said it was bad or i dont like people who use it or your dumb if u use it. yeah im sure its fun as hell to use and yes u get lots of power but i dont like it. and as far as u owning me with or without who gives a **** dont be a douche about **** theres always someone faster and i never said i was fast obviously look at my mods in my sig. i just saying if im gonna make my car fast im gonna do it so the powers always there so my car is actually fast not just hoped up on steroids, heres how i look at it, if someone like my self has a 13 second car or even a 12 second car and uses the juice to run 11's i wouldnt consider that car a 11 second car its still a 12 or 13 second car either way. i can take a honda and run 13's with nitrous but its not a 13 second car.
I'll definatly disagree but I'm not going to freak out about it like above wow...
anyhow, I'd consider it cheating if they try and say they don't have it. I mean but I'd consider it cheating if they said they had stock heads and they have ported heads.
Old 01-26-2006 | 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

well everyone has there own opinion if someone likes the steroid juice, more power to ya(no pun intented) i just thought id throw my opinion in there lol thats how i feel about the stuff i dunno why i just never liked it or thought it was fair but hey whatever right just have fun with the cars thats what there for
Old 01-26-2006 | 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

I'm the same way when it comes to nitrous, I don't like it. But then again I come from a line of cars that I hit the AutoX, did some occasion SCCA. If you even mentioned spray out there you would get laughed home. I wouldn't compare Spray to Turbo on reliability though.....I think both will blow your motor if you dont tune it right.
Old 01-27-2006 | 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all, nitrous is no different then any other power adder. How is it cheating? It puts more o2 into the engine, just like FI. If you lose to a nitrous car, you lost because you didn't bring enough to the table, not because the other guy is cheating.

Don't say yourself because then you have $500 software plus $1000+ laptop. You are going to need (or at least should for safety) a window switch, and all of the other stuff which is a few hundred bucks. You will need fuel stuff as well most likely.
I can get two runs on a local dyno for $100. It isn't rocket science to tune nitrous, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say $500 to tune. How many dyno runs will it take to tune an FI set-up?
I didn't run a window-switch for over a year, but I currently do have one, so let's say you have to have it-$75
Fuel system? Tap the Schrader valve for a wet kit-free
But lets go ahead and throw in an inline pump and 30lb injectors- $425
I don't use a FPSS...they aren't worth the hassle to me. Many kits include them now anyway... You can get a NEW, all-inclusive nitrous set-up for under $1000 and still have saved at a minimum $2500 to spend on bottles versus your used ProCharger.

If you don't like nitrous, fine. Telling people that it's not cost-effective or that it blows stuff up is just not true. I'd like to have a turbo set-up, but it just isn't worth the drama to me. I can drive around all day with my measly 436rwhp/420rwtq and spray at the track to the tune of 576rwhp/590rwtq with minimum hassle. How can you hate on that?
Old 01-27-2006 | 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all (because I certainly don't), or scoff any other form of power-adder. I used to have my doubts in (and was ignorant of) nitrous, but I did research before buying and have been using it and learning for 5 years. I have yet to blow anything up besides clutches and tires because I don't get greedy with the juice and I ensure that everything is set-up correctly.

777-please don't think I am singling you out (you have made good arguments), but I had to address this:
So while nitrous is still the cheaper route you can't compare a used $400 ghetto rigged nitrous system to a fully custom built brand new $10k turbo system.
Yes you can...if they run the same number at the track or dyno. To me it doesn't matter as much HOW you get to your goal, as long as you get to your goal.

Sorry that I've been long-winded on this and I really hope that folks will check out the nitrous forums on here for more good info. Thanks! Ben
Old 01-27-2006 | 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jessedale98
You very misinformed. which is okay, but dont speak if you dont know first hand. I havent even changed the plugs on my car and im running 11's with nitrous, for over a year, NO PROBLEMS, which brings me to my next point. Sure it will break, doesnt everything? It wont be bc of nitrous, it might be my fuel pump gave out, nitrous isnt bad. You just have to respect it. They replaced there engines because they didnt respect it and tried to push the envelope, the same dam thing can happen if you put too much boost on your car. Same deal. Just remember, in the speed game you live mostly by one rule.

You gotta pay to play.
ok my friend has an 05 mustang with a 100 shot of NOS and it blew his engine . . . first hand enough?
Old 01-27-2006 | 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok my friend has an 05 mustang with a 100 shot of NOS and it blew his engine . . . first hand enough?
OK, but WHY did it blow his engine? Detonation? Did a ring-land go? Piston melt? I know plenty of people that have nuked FI motors. Does that mean FI is no good either?
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but 9 times out of 10 operator error is to blame, not because nitrous is inherently "bad".
Old 01-27-2006 | 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

FWIW, I'm not trying to come off as a know-it-all (because I certainly don't), or scoff any other form of power-adder. I used to have my doubts in (and was ignorant of) nitrous, but I did research before buying and have been using it and learning for 5 years. I have yet to blow anything up besides clutches and tires because I don't get greedy with the juice and I ensure that everything is set-up correctly.

777-please don't think I am singling you out (you have made good arguments), but I had to address this:

Yes you can...if they run the same number at the track or dyno. To me it doesn't matter as much HOW you get to your goal, as long as you get to your goal.

Sorry that I've been long-winded on this and I really hope that folks will check out the nitrous forums on here for more good info. Thanks! Ben
I take no offense to any of your stuff as I do agree that nitrous is cheaper, it's just not for everyone. When I made the comment about $400 nitrous vs 10k turbo. I meant that you could get a nice nitrous setup for say $1500, and you can get a nice supercharger setup for $3500. Yes 2000 dollar difference, and yes it would take a while to recover that cost in bottle fill-ups, but to say there is a $9500 difference between EQUAL power adders (nitrous and FI)is a bit of a stretch imo. Now a supercharger shouldn't take too long to tune, just like nitrous, but a turbo on the other hand will. Basically I'm agreeing with you, but just kind of saying there isn't as big of a gap in price as you make it out to be. I don't want people to think well I can get a turbo for 10k or I can get nitrous, cam, heads, forged short, headers, exhaust, intake, etc...Just trying to be more realistic.
Old 01-27-2006 | 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

777- I wasn't trying to bust your stones either. You've made plenty of good points that I totally agree with. I'm not trying to win any converts over to nitrous, or encourage "under-educated" people to slap 200-shots on their stock LSxs, but I do tire of the constant bad rap that nitrous gets. It really is tough to beat the "squeeze" in bang-for-buck factor. Take it easy! Ben