Sponsored by:

WS6 TA vs. TA

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime
4. The car would be real.

cause non WS6 TA's arent real...they are fake.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

get what ever you like best for what it's worth, if u mod it you will like it anyway. if you buy a reg, ta and make it look like a ws6, well it wont be one, then u will wished that it was. I have a 2001 ws6 which I modded. cnc ls6 head, 231/237 cam, lt,ory, borla cat back. is it a ws6? yes, but with mods

fuerzaws6
Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mulletwearingtadrive
cause non WS6 TA's arent real...they are fake.
I meant it would be a REAL WS6 and not someone who tried to impersonate a WS6...thats what WS7's are for.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is my opinion, being a little bit biasd seeing as how i own a WS6.

The two cars should be compared completly stock, otherwise thats not a fair comparison.

It all depends on what you want, do I think that the WS6 is worth it for the extra cost? Yes, here's why.

1. It just looks awesome, i love the look of the WS6 cars. Sure you could buy a different hood, rims, and badge for your car and people would think its an actual WS6...but in the long run your still just a poser.
That's not entirely accurate. Many people just get the hood and call it a day. Others get the hood and rims and call it a day. Some get the hood, rims and WS7 badge and call it a day. None of that makes you a poser. The only true posers are the ones who put a WS6 badge on which very few people do.

2. If you did buy a new hood, suspension, exhaust, and wheels then it would most likely be more than $3000.
WS6 suspension is a waste of time. Both TA's and WS6's would benifit from aftermarket suspension upgrades so no money should be spent here unless you drag race.

Aftermarket hood from VFN (sponsor) $495. Add $375 for shipping & painting.

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

Four aftermarket 17" rims from discount tires direct (sponsor) $600.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...vid=007116&bp=

Four Eagle F1 tires 275-40/17 also from discount tires direct $856.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ager.offset=10

Total = $2,326

But...... You could substitute BFG KDWS for the Eagle F1's and the new total is: $2,006. If you wait until the back tires are worn down then really you only spent money on two tire replacements since you had to replace the back ones anyway.

That brings the total down to $1,738.

3. Would you rather just buy the real thing and not have to worry about finding the right parts for it.
Not a problem. I linked the parts which can bought from sponsors. It wasn't that hard to find ------------>

4. The car would be real.
Trans Ams/Formulas are real cars too or have you not heard? I know you meant a real "WS6". That might mean something if they were rare cars. But unfortunately they are a dime a dozen as GM over-produced them (IMO). Firehawks are a different story. I don't see too many of them around. If rare is what someone wants then Formulas are far more rare then WS6's. Heck in 2002 even TA's are more rare then WS6's according to this:

2002 OVERALL PRODUCTION
Firebird coupe 8,423
Firebird convertible 1,498
Formula coupe 901
Trans Am coupe 3,962
Trans Am convertible 998
Trans Am cpe. w/Ram Air* 12,212
Trans Am cony. w/Ram Air* 2,696
Total 30,690

These would be good things to consider depending on how far someone will mod their car. If you were just going to put on a couple bolt ons then you wouldent even need to upgrade the factory suspension. Im probably going to get some people angry with this post but this is how i look at it. I hope this was a help.
Here is how I look at it. The only thing really special about the WS6 is the look. They produce the same HP as other F-bodies and are by no means rare. You don't need the rims, tires or suspension. For most of us with non-ws6's we would only care about the hood (for looks) which can be bought, shipped and painted for less then a grand.

But a 30th anniversary edition WS6 = That's a car well worth having the original as opposed to an aftermarket copy. WS6's are fine. I would have gotten one if the price was right but I got a much better deal on my Formula. And as it turns out, I got a much rarer car as well.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Camaros, but the looks of the bird is unreal. If you use your head you can make either one of these cars more beutiful than they already are. It boils down to what look you prefer. My best friend has a Camaro & I own a TA. You can't loose either way. The bottom line is that a LS1 is in both of them, therefore they can both be made to move @ an impressive rate. The bigget difference with these cars lies in the drivers and the year of the vehicles, not which model you baught unless your talking about a six cylinder. LS1's are very comparable to each other on a model year basis. The earlier ones had alot less net rear wheel horsepower than the later ones.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

I meant it would be a REAL WS6 and not someone who tried to impersonate a WS6...thats what WS7's are for.
i have no intentions of making my car look like a WS6, i like it the way it is.....would i pick up a WS6 as another car in addition to my TA sometime? yes but i wouldnt get rid of my TA for one.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Truth is I have ran, drove, and rode in both the TA and the WS6TA. With my peronal expierence the TA has always outperformed the WS6. Not by much but there is always a noticable difference. I know plenty of people with both, and through much brainstorming and testing, I think the only difference is the weight. The WS6 comes with bigger wheels, heavier hood, different ground effects and larger exhast. They both have the same body style, with the same horse power producing engine. I currently have a stock Z28 and the stock TA has always gave me more problems than the stock WS6. Thats my conclusion.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SiezeTheMoment
Truth is I have ran, drove, and rode in both the TA and the WS6TA. With my peronal expierence the TA has always outperformed the WS6. Not by much but there is always a noticable difference. I know plenty of people with both, and through much brainstorming and testing, I think the only difference is the weight. The WS6 comes with bigger wheels, heavier hood, different ground effects and larger exhast. They both have the same body style, with the same horse power producing engine. I currently have a stock Z28 and the stock TA has always gave me more problems than the stock WS6. Thats my conclusion.
Umm..the WS6 hood is lighter, by alot, and the 'ground effects' are the same
Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

the fastest stock LS1 was a 98 camaro 1LE.....we all lose!!!! transams are slow, WS6 and regular ones....we should have all bought camaros.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

^^ I knew it was a 1LE camaro, but i didn't know it was a 98, kewl.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Trust
^^ I knew it was a 1LE camaro, but i didn't know it was a 98, kewl.
98 FTW!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

I dont want to come across the wrong way. The debate over a ram air car vs a non ram air car will always be there. What I have noticed is that a lot of people say I would spend the extra cash else where, well apparently you didnt have it to begin with. (thats why you purchased the cheaper model, unless you are a pure racer which is probably 5% of the population here). Bottom line to each his own, but if you you run your mouth cause you couldn't afford the top of line model then can it.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Regular

i didnt get my car cause i couldnt afford the "top model" and as sexy as the WS6 is, i would take a firehawk over one. I was going to buy a roush 360R before I saw my TA on the lot, I test drove both and decided to go with the TA. I liked the looks, how it drove and it was a good deal.....

Nowadays it boils down to looks....you can get a WS6 for under 15k so you go with what you want, whether it be a camaro, WS6, TA, etc. Simple as that
Old 02-25-2006, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElChiefWS6
I dont want to come across the wrong way.
I knew this post was going to be a flame by this first sentence. But I tried to be optimstic and read on.

The debate over a ram air car vs a non ram air car will always be there.
But it will only be fought by the ignorant. The ram air setup on a WS6 leaves a 1-2" gap between the hood nostrils and the air box. This gap allows air to escape into the engine bay. At any speeds 100 or less the gains are going to be nothing. Over 100 mph you might gain a few ponies but it wouldn't be anything to write home about. It's also nothing that a SSRA couldn't duplicate on non-ram air cars.

What I have noticed is that a lot of people say I would spend the extra cash else where, well apparently you didnt have it to begin with.
What about people who only wanted a M6 but all they could find in thier area was A4 WS6's and a Trans Am M6? Would you say such a person would be "cheap" for getting the manual? Or would you say they simply got the car they would be happier with? I know my answer.

Perhaps you're the kind of person who likes to buy the most expensive brand of everything at the grocery store. That's cool. But some people actually look for bargains. I personally was a very loyal customer to Bill Jacobs Chevy and when I was ready to buy a car they had a 2000 red TA and a 1999 white Formula. I hated the color red on these cars so I got the Formula. Now knowing that I got the lightest of the two (I drag race so this means something to me) I feel I definately got the best car for the least $.

(thats why you purchased the cheaper model, unless you are a pure racer which is probably 5% of the population here).
If that's what you truly believe then I kind of wonder why you didn't buy a Z06 so that way you could look down on all F-bodys and C5's. You would have a broader audience to insult which I'm sure would be right up your alley.

Bottom line to each his own, but if you you run your mouth cause you couldn't afford the top of line model then can it.
And if you run yours in some weak attemt to appear "superior" then all I can say is good luck with that. But I for one have no reason to feel inferior to anyone, least of all you.

Last edited by darrensls1; 02-25-2006 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont want to come across the wrong way. The debate over a ram air car vs a non ram air car will always be there. What I have noticed is that a lot of people say I would spend the extra cash else where, well apparently you didnt have it to begin with. (thats why you purchased the cheaper model, unless you are a pure racer which is probably 5% of the population here). Bottom line to each his own, but if you you run your mouth cause you couldn't afford the top of line model then can it.
I hate to break it to you, but "top of the line" and fbody go together like
oil and water. You want top of the line? Better go pick up an exotic.
You obviously have big money so that shouldn't be a problem for you.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Umm, mine has been paid for since the day i picked it up from the lot, how about yours? And you also drive a $35k car thats not the big leagues by any means.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

can i woop out the sign yet!!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE='Trust']Umm, mine has been paid for since the day i picked it up from the lot, how about yours? And you also drive a $35k car thats not the big leagues by any means.[/]

Understood entirely. I paid for mine in cash.

I obviously opened pandoras box here. Didnt mean start argument. So my apologies to all.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

To me, the base hood TA looks seductive and the WS6 looks vicious. Both are pretty sweet and you can't go wrong with either one.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA02TA
To me, the base hood TA looks seductive and the WS6 looks vicious. Both are pretty sweet and you can't go wrong with either one.
Good way of putting it. I prefer the Ram Air hood with the WS6 package, just becasue it looks totally badass