Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should I do?

I had this guy I kinda know look at my car to see why my car was leaning on the front pass. side and to install poly motor mounts. He told me because my headers were hitting my k member and the lower control arm on the front pass. side needed to be adjusted.

I dropped off my car to his friends house to install poly motor mounts and to fix the lean on the front pass side. I was told that it would take about half a day to do. I get a phone call from him telling me my k member is bent on the front pass side by about an inch and it's delaying the motor mount installation. He'll need the car another day to fix it.

Next day after work I get a phone call from him saying they had taken apart and re-assembled the motor mounts and what not 4 times and they could only get the pass side on and the lower control arm was adjusted the best it could be. I was told the headers wouldnt be hitting the k-member anymore and the allignment is now off because the lower control arm on the pass side was adjusted.

They ask for $550 for what they did, I give them $400 and say I'll get the rest later. Half the job is done, 1 poly mount on and the lean was raised a bit. They tell me I need a new k-member and I should bring it back to them to finish the job correctly.

Next day I call him and ask if I should pay the balance of $150 when they finish it correctly or pay more since a new k-member needs to be installed. He told me Id have to pay the $150 and more for the k-member to be installed.

So Id be paying them all over again and more to finish the job. I just want to be fair. I need some advice on this.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like you're getting slammed in the pooper pal. not cool. make sure you check your miles etc. some ppl would actually drive / get shitty in the car. that sounds like alot of money....but let's see what others say.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah sounds like your getting a crappy deal. I mean, should you have to pay them for their work? Of course. But if they wanted to be fair and honest with you, they most likely could have told you that you would need the new K member before they did the work, and have saved you a lot of money. Seems like they are being greedy and shady, fixing something for you and then telling you that you need to buy a new part and pay for them to do that as well. I know the guys that always do my work wouldn't even work on my car in that situation. They would tell me to get the new part and then have them do it. If their is anyone else around the area to do your work, I would see about that.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your regional forums for a good shop to use.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I thought, I'm gonna go and see him again today to see whats up. If we dont agree I'm driving off.
Funny thing is that they told me if they had known before hand the k member was bent they would of never touched the car and asked me to get a new k member and then worked on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm. Well I don't know if there is any way to know if they are telling the truth. Still, even if they didn't know, it seems kinda rotten to charge you for work they know is no good, and want you to pay again for a new K and good work. Good luck though. Let us know what happened.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

He told me that there was no way he could have known the k member was bent bad enough that the poly mounts wouldnt fit unless it was taken apart. He knew it was a little messed up but he took the risk anyway to see if it would fit since he didnt think it was that bad.
He also told me that a shop would of charged me anyways if they were in the same situation, and that they would of probably charged more.
He said he could get me a new k member for $100 and put it on for me, installation price still unsettled though.
I dont think im paying the $150 balance anytime soon.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know that most of the guys here think that you are getting jacked, but the one thing that tells me that your car could be messed up like the shop claimed is that you said the car was leaning before you took it in. Normally I'm one to jump to the conclusion of getting screwed too quickly, but this may be one of the times where the shop/guy you took it too is being straight forward.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a hard one man. He may be cuttin you a straight deal after all. I don't know. The $100 seems like a good deal, so just see what he's going to do for you and go from there.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:35 AM
Teching In

The only thing i don't like about this is that they should have just offered to replace the k member while everything was still apart to save you the money of having them tear it apart twice. Now only half the job is done and you get to pay them more money to do it all over again and more importantly, finish what they started. Unless you can do the work yourself (i'm guessing that's a no since you took it to them to begin with), you're screwed and you have to have them finish it. Only thing you can do is talk 'em down on the price.