New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99-02 Trans Am OR 03 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a mustang is probably the best sounding car in the world lol. really strong performer or not the mustang sounds awsome.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, u dont really hear a mustang unless it has been modded, i would go with a MACH 1, they are def. more rare and if u put a exhaust on one it sounds really good, iv heard a couple MACH 1's where i live that had basically bolt ons and it sounded really good.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by novi2000
a mustang is probably the best sounding car in the world lol. really strong performer or not the mustang sounds awsome.
was that a joke or were u seriouse?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

i was serious the mustang out sounds any ls1 in my opinion
Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firefighter1
Hey, everyone! I'm a big fan of both Chevy and Ford. As long as they produce a muscle car, I'm happy. Anyway, im in the market for a new(er) car. It's going to be my daily driver for spring/summer/fall, but NOT winter. I've been looking into a Trans Am or a Mach 1. I've always loved the Mach 1's look. I guess you could say the same thing about the Trans Am!! They would be manual, for sure. That's a must. I have yet to test drive the two cars, but i'm aware that's the best way to make my final answer. If any one has driven or has any experience with each of these cars, can you please give me some pointers. I know i'm on a GM site, so may get some biased answers!! Thanks!
I'm with ya on Ford and Chevy. I like them both. I, however, prefer pushrod motors and Ford hasn't produced a pushrod since '95, the 'ol 302. Since '96, Ford has produced modular motors, with SOHC (GT) and DOHC (Cobra, Mach 1). It all comes down to preference, but I think pushrod motors are easier to work on and when you do a cam upgrade, you will only need 1 cam for a pushrod motor rather than 2 or 4 cams for a modular motor, with the Mach 1 having 4 cams.

It all depends on how much you want to spend, which motor you prefer and which you like better. Stock for stock, it's basically a drivers race between a LS1 and a Mach 1. I'd personally go for the LS1.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

I have driven and LOVE both. I currently have a 2001 Mustang GT and used to own a 98GT. So here's my opinions on both...

F-Body:
Pro's:
A very fast car with way more top end than I expected. I test drove the car on the freeway and what a blast it was hitting the on-ramps. Once traffic moved out of the way, it got even more fun!

They take better to mods than the Mach1 and has a slight advantage out of the box if the two were to race. If you really want a lot out of your boltons and other minor mods, then this might be the car for you.

It had a sporty interior feel to it with the shifter in a good location compared to that of the Mustang. Ergonomics were also good. The interior plastics weren't exactly high qualilty, a little bit cheaper than the Mustang's I'd say, but not as bad as everybody says.

The handling really impressed me for being such a heavy car, especially since the one I drove was just a Z28 with no suspension options. But while pushing the car to its limits around corners, I got the feeling that the car really wasn't intented for this. Having owned an S2000 and driven it on numerous road courses, I knew how to "test out" a car in the handling department, and this one really didn't impress me in the twisties. I felt like I couldn't trust it.

Back seat space seemed pretty matched for these two, but I really liked the rear bucket seats in the F-Body.

The styling of the F-Bodies can see a bit overexuberant(sp?) at times. I'm sure if there were a nationwide poll as to which car was more attractive, the Mustang would win hands down (sorry F-body owners).

Visibility was pretty restricted in this car... Wouldn't make much of a difference on the highway I suppose, but trying to navigate through busy parking lots and city streets might be a bit of a hassle in this car.

The exhaust not was relatively bland due to the lack of true duals. It just sounded like noise rather than an actual tone.

While pushing the car to its limits around corners, I got the feeling that the car really wasn't intented for this. Having owned an S2000 and driven it on numerous road courses, I knew how to "test out" a car in the handling department, and this one really didn't impress me in the twisties. I felt like I couldn't trust it.

While driving the car at low speeds I heard a few squeaks. The car only had about 40k miles on it when I drove it too... I would have to say that the overrall quality of this car was definitely lacking. Not to mention the fact that if you go with an M6, you are going to have to replace the rear end sooner or later. With the Mach 1, you have a very sound car in which you can spend all of your money on mods.

Mach1:
First thing you notice about this car is that it is SEXY. It has certain styling hints that set it apart from the GT's such as the chin spolier, blacked out grill, and everybody's favorite! the functional shaker hood scoop.

Driving this car was also a blast. Very quick from a dig, but it starts to run out of breath up top. The 32V is worlds better than the 2V set-up in the GT's but I would have to say the LS1 has the slight advantage on top end.

The interior of this car was really cool because they went for that classic muscle car look. It has classic-looking seats and gauges which a really neat in my opinion. This car really gives you the feeling that you are in something rare and special. Each one also comes fully loaded from the factory.

Handling was precise and the car was somewhat nimble for being a muscle car. I would have liked a little bit more in the streering response department.

VERY nice exhuast tone from this vehicle. Had a nice muscle car growl to it, but it was a little bit quiet for my tastes, but this is probably because not everybody likes their exhaust as loud as I do. The 32V DOHC + True Duals was really music to my ears.

Now the modability of this car was somewhat disappointing compared to the LS1. They don't respond as well to bolt-ons and other minor mods as well as the LS1, so I guess it depends what you want the car for and what your goals are.

Driving the car was very comfortable and offered much better visibility than the LS1. The one thing I DESPISE about these Mustangs is the interior feel. The quality of the interior is very good, but the location of the shifter and seating position kinda had me feeling like I was driving a truck... The interior is definitely not sporty...

Now one thing you get with this car that you don't get in the F-Body is great quality. The 8.8" rear is very robust and can take just about anything you want to throw at it. The interior is more or less rattle free until you stack a lot of miles on it and the car just feels much better assembled.

Conclusion?
F-Body Mach 1
Handling 1 0
Interior 0 1
Styling 0 1
Quality 0 1
Modability 1 0
Acceleration 1 1
Comfort 0 1
Sporty Feel 1 0

So there's my synopsis. As you can tell from my scores the F-Body is ahead by 1. Which makes it too tough to call...
Old 04-05-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by novi2000
i was serious the mustang out sounds any ls1 in my opinion
stock for stock?

oh and please dont post anything that long again, thanks
Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by then00b
The handling really impressed me for being such a heavy car, especially since the one I drove was just a Z28 with no suspension options. But while pushing the car to its limits around corners, I got the feeling that the car really wasn't intented for this. Having owned an S2000 and driven it on numerous road courses, I knew how to "test out" a car in the handling department, and this one really didn't impress me in the twisties. I felt like I couldn't trust it.

The styling of the F-Bodies can see a bit overexuberant(sp?) at times. I'm sure if there were a nationwide poll as to which car was more attractive, the Mustang would win hands down (sorry F-body owners).
Nice post except for the above. The S2000 may *seem* like it handles better but it does not. It's just easier to drive. There is a reason 01/02 WS6's and SS's are in a higher autocross class with the STI's, Evo's, and some Vettes. Better track times.

As for the poll. You put up a WS6 against a Mach 1 and I bet the WS6 would win 70/30 or maybe even more. I like Mach 1's but they don't have the wow factor like an SS or WS6.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Nice post except for the above. The S2000 may *seem* like it handles better but it does not. It's just easier to drive. There is a reason 01/02 WS6's and SS's are in a higher autocross class with the STI's, Evo's, and some Vettes. Better track times.

As for the poll. You put up a WS6 against a Mach 1 and I bet the WS6 would win 70/30 or maybe even more. I like Mach 1's but they don't have the wow factor like an SS or WS6.
Mach 1's have a Wow factor, its just a different kind. If Mustangs didn't have one, why would so many people still be buying them? I think you're talking about brute performance, but not everyone is looking for that. Alot of people see the Mach1s as more exotic than even the 03-04 Cobras, if looking at styling.

I think this guy said he wasn't looking to mod besides exhuast, so if thats not an issue, just take both for a drive and see what you like. Both cars have close to the same performance from the factory, and both would do just fine as daily drivers.

Its all a driver's preference.

If you want to know how a Mustang sounds, check out http://www.mustangexhaust.com/. Just make sure you sign up for an account so you can access the media files.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dal1as

Styling is going to be pure opinion. 90% of the general public doesn't know the difference between the WS-6/SS and the normal F-Bodies. I meant the average Joe will almost always vote for the Mustang for styling. The F-Bodiy is kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing.

And about the handling, yeah you're right, I am really not used to hitting curves at high speeds with such a heavy car. I took a 2 day test drive in a 350Z and I used to own an S2000. Keep in mind however, I wasn't driving a WS-6 or an SS. I was in a base Z28. I hit some corners in the Z28 and got a lot of chirp. If I were to hit the same corner in the S2000 I am fairly confident I would get no struggle at all.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Styling is going to be pure opinion. 90% of the general public doesn't know the difference between the WS-6/SS and the normal F-Bodies. I meant the average Joe will almost always vote for the Mustang for styling. The F-Bodiy is kind of a love it or hate it kind of thing.

And about the handling, yeah you're right, I am really not used to hitting curves at high speeds with such a heavy car. I took a 2 day test drive in a 350Z and I used to own an S2000. Keep in mind however, I wasn't driving a WS-6 or an SS. I was in a base Z28. I hit some corners in the Z28 and got a lot of chirp. If I were to hit the same corner in the S2000 I am fairly confident I would get no struggle at all.

I'll agree to disagree on the first part. I've not once seen or heard someone say they like the looks of a Stang over the WS6. These are people who have actually seen both. A fair vote would be to have the 2 cars side by side and I'd bet the WS6 would win pretty easily.

Mach 1's don't look much different than the average GT. In fact there a lot more of a difference between the WS6 and base model z28.

As for handling. Suspension is the same for all f-bodies for the most part. Problem is the tires are complete crap and the shocks can be much better. Chirp is actually good and better than suddingly breaking loose.

I've hit exit ramps doing 100+ with ease. In fact had some idiot in an Audi or Volvo almost wreck trying to keep up with me once.

Now I've done tires, sway bars, shocks, and all but even when it was stock it handled pretty damn good. It was just a little more sloppy and felt kind of out of control. Getting used to the car though helped, alot.

Anyway the whole f-bodies can not handle well is a myth. That's mainly what I'm saying.

Mach 1's don't look much different than the average GT. In fact there a lot more of a difference between the WS6 and base model z28.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1charged
stock for stock?

oh and please dont post anything that long again, thanks
period.

anything long again?
Old 04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Oh they can definitely handle with the best of them. But the weight of the car makes me really edgy about putting it to its limits.

And I will stand behind the Mustangs for styling hehe. Whenever I tell somebody I am getting a Camaro/TA, they pretty much shriek and tell me theyre ugly...

I'd honestly have to say that the Mustang would win the vote for better styling whether it was a Mach 1 or a Normal GT.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

From the factory both cars are going to run about the same. I think the Fbodys has more potential and definately a larger aftermarket than the mach. Buy which one you think looks cool.....I would mistake a mach for a V6 before I did a Trans Am.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
from the factory both cars are going to run about the same. I think the Fbodys has more potential and defintaely a larger aftermarket than the mach. Buy which one you think looks cool.....I would mistake a mach for a V6 before I did a Trans Am.
Don't just buy on looks. Also take into consideration the feel of each car. The LS1 sits lower to the ground and has more of a comprimising sports car interior. The Mustang sits higher up and is more comfortable. However it doesn't feel very sporty.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Don't just buy on looks. Also take into consideration the feel of each car. The LS1 sits lower to the ground and has more of a comprimising sports car interior. The Mustang sits higher up and is more comfortable. However it doesn't feel very sporty.
Yea, thats what I meant. The stangs feel like they were all built to be V6's while the Fbody's LOOK more like they should all be more with V8's...I think the long, wide sharp look of the fbody is much more aggressive then the stubby-er box look of the stang.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

GO GM.....Just say 'NO' to Ford........
Old 04-05-2006, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
GO GM.....Just say 'NO' to Ford........
?????
Old 04-05-2006, 05:12 PM