Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Set-up

I may be getting ahead of myself, but what the hell, I've waited this long. Hopefully this T/A I'm looking at will be it. Anyway here's the set-up I'm thinking about. Feel free to comment or make changes, critisize..after all thats the beauty of ls1tech.

Intake/Exhaust: lid, ported tb, gmmg, tsp catted y, qtp's
Suspension: BMR lca's, panhard pod, sfc's, front/rear sway bars, shocks (what kind?), lowering kit (what kind?)
Drivetrain: gears, probably 4.10's (it will be a m6), and might as well through in a moser 12 bolt...you know, just for fun.
Wheels/Tires: TTII's 17x9 and 17x11 or whatever it is. And I'm not sure on tires. I'd go through tomzwheels, but eventually I'd change tires. Suggestions?
Internals: I've been researching cams and really like the f13 or a 224ish or some variation of that. Down the road I may turbo or s/c it, so I might pick a different cam once I decide.
Misc.: Shifter (kind?), maybe some drilled/slotted rotors and pads.

So, what do you guys think? Am I missing anything? Besides a couple tunes and dyno runs.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

driver mod. just be good at it haha. im just messing around. looks like a nice list. eibach pro kit is a very clean drop on an f-body, most ppl seem to go with qa1 shocks and shifters is more of what you like. go to the tranny section and research shifters. there is a 5 page thread on them. good luck man! and welcome.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevensLS1
driver mod. just be good at it haha. im just messing around. looks like a nice list. eibach pro kit is a very clean drop on an f-body, most ppl seem to go with qa1 shocks and shifters is more of what you like. go to the tranny section and research shifters. there is a 5 page thread on them. good luck man! and welcome.
Yeah, the driver mod will be one of my biggest ones haha. That's why I'm considering getting a 12bolt from the get go. I haven't really looked into lowering kits, or know anything about them, but I will.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a damn good list...$8-$10000 in mods. As far as your questions: I went with the Eibach Pro Kit and I couldnt be happier with it (looks good and no clearance issues). I contemplated getting a new shifter but I tried the $25 short stick on my stock Hurst base and loved it. Also to handle all this power you are going to be making then you will be needing a clutch pretty quickly. I went with the LS7 set up and its really nice. Ive heard good things about Centerforce and if you are going for the best of the best (which you are from what I can tell), then the Textralia is awesome from what I hear. Anyways hope this helps and good luck with the car.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake/Exhaust: lid, ported tb, gmmg, kooks, and kooks catted y
Suspension: BMR lca's, panhard pod, sfc's, front/rear sway bars, shocks Koni SA, with lower spring perch/heater hose mod, stock springs
Wheels/Tires: TTII's 17x9 and 17x11 Goodyear gsd3
Internals: going to depend on what you want high RPM power, or more of a low to midrange power boost
Misc.: Shifter stock hurst with short stick (try it you may just like it), maybe some drilled/slotted rotors and pads. (forget the drilled and slotted, they're just for looks, and have a nasty tendency to crack brembo blanks and hawk pads, will be fine for the street

My 2 cents worth
Old 05-22-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HowellSoccer88
Sounds like a damn good list...$8-$10000 in mods. As far as your questions: I went with the Eibach Pro Kit and I couldnt be happier with it (looks good and no clearance issues). I contemplated getting a new shifter but I tried the $25 short stick on my stock Hurst base and loved it. Also to handle all this power you are going to be making then you will be needing a clutch pretty quickly. I went with the LS7 set up and its really nice. Ive heard good things about Centerforce and if you are going for the best of the best (which you are from what I can tell), then the Textralia is awesome from what I hear. Anyways hope this helps and good luck with the car.
Yeah I am going for the best. There's no reason to skimp out on parts. It's worth it to save the money and do it right. I knew I forgot something with the clutch. I hope to have this set-up done in a year or so. Then I'm sure I'll work on a forged motor and turbo, most likely.

Does anyone think I should go with different parts, some other parts. I'm open to all ideas.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Intake/Exhaust: lid, ported tb, gmmg, kooks, and kooks catted y
Suspension: BMR lca's, panhard pod, sfc's, front/rear sway bars, shocks Koni SA, with lower spring perch/heater hose mod, stock springs
Wheels/Tires: TTII's 17x9 and 17x11 Goodyear gsd3
Internals: going to depend on what you want high RPM power, or more of a low to midrange power boost
Misc.: Shifter stock hurst with short stick (try it you may just like it), maybe some drilled/slotted rotors and pads. (forget the drilled and slotted, they're just for looks, and have a nasty tendency to crack brembo blanks and hawk pads, will be fine for the street

My 2 cents worth
Why the kooks and kooks catted y? I do like the gsd3's. Once I get into turbos I'll forge everything, but I'm not worried about it now. Actually I thought the drilled/slotted rotors helped with getting rid of the heat quicker for better stopping distance. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm Id prob drop the 12 bolt idea and go for the 9". This is not based off of experinece just what Ive read on here about it. Build the hell outta that motor with some new heads, rockers spring lifter etc. With all the parts you have listen you will be seeing 10's on slicks.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS144
Hmm Id prob drop the 12 bolt idea and go for the 9". This is not based off of experinece just what Ive read on here about it. Build the hell outta that motor with some new heads, rockers spring lifter etc. With all the parts you have listen you will be seeing 10's on slicks.
From what I've read I think I'm pretty much set on the 9'' unless someone really thinks the 12bolt won't hold up for me. But thanks for the input. I don't think I want to mess with the heads until I go turbo. Then I'd get some low compression heads and boost the hell out of it. Also, I thought that rockers were not necessary for us and in some cases it effected performance negatively.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
Why the kooks and kooks catted y? I do like the gsd3's. Once I get into turbos I'll forge everything, but I'm not worried about it now. Actually I thought the drilled/slotted rotors helped with getting rid of the heat quicker for better stopping distance. Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.
The kooks is simply because of qtps current fitment problems (been several threads on it) it depends if they get the problems sorted out by the time you're ready to buy, but if I was buying headers today, I'd go with the kooks for that reason
The drilled and slotted, are just for looks, if you want the look that's fine, just know there won't be any improvement in braking, and there will be a decrease in pad life with drilled and slotted (think cheese grater for brake pads)
Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
The kooks is simply because of qtps current fitment problems (been several threads on it) it depends if they get the problems sorted out by the time you're ready to buy, but if I was buying headers today, I'd go with the kooks for that reason
The drilled and slotted, are just for looks, if you want the look that's fine, just know there won't be any improvement in braking, and there will be a decrease in pad life with drilled and slotted (think cheese grater for brake pads)
Thanks for the help. Although I like the QTP's because of the hvmc standard, for less than Kooks. I've read about the fitment issues, but seems to be worth it in the end once everything is said and done. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Continue...
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm you might be right on those rockers man...Im not positive I thought the yella terras were good increase though on our cars. maybe someone can point us in the right direction.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

You can use the aftermarket rockers, but you need to do the calculations as to what lift you end up with, and get the appropriate height springs so you don't bind the coils, also you may need to machine the heads to get it to fit right, it's really not worth it with anything but a stock cam
Old 05-23-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I don't think doing the rockers are much of an advantage for us. However, all of the obvious and necessary parts will be installed with the cam, of course. Cmon other inputs. Shed some light.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

the eibach prokit is about the only lowering springs i would use personally. and unless maryland is a emissions state, i'd go with an offroad pipe and some true duals myself. after i switched to them i never knew why i didnt do it sooner. i LOVE my cam i have in my car from TSP although i'm not sure how well it would go with forced induction. depending on the year of the car an ls6 intake also, and i agree with 2k2ws6ta i would go with kooks, and a forged ls1 . and while your at looking into a cam swap, don't forget a good set of heads to go with it. sounds like you have a pretty good idea. i like your thinking in wanting to get a moser 12 bolt from the get go, but if you found a good deal on a moser 9" that would also be a good option. i would decide if your going turbo, s/c or not now so you can make your cam selection around that, if you would want the engine forged or not AND especially if your wanting to go turbo, there is absolutely no reason to buy kooks LT headers and waste all that money now since you won't need them with a turbo setup ( unless it's the sts kit )
Old 05-23-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
the eibach prokit is about the only lowering springs i would use personally. and unless maryland is a emissions state, i'd go with an offroad pipe and some true duals myself. after i switched to them i never knew why i didnt do it sooner. i LOVE my cam i have in my car from TSP although i'm not sure how well it would go with forced induction. depending on the year of the car an ls6 intake also, and i agree with 2k2ws6ta i would go with kooks, and a forged ls1 . and while your at looking into a cam swap, don't forget a good set of heads to go with it. sounds like you have a pretty good idea. i like your thinking in wanting to get a moser 12 bolt from the get go, but if you found a good deal on a moser 9" that would also be a good option. i would decide if your going turbo, s/c or not now so you can make your cam selection around that, if you would want the engine forged or not AND especially if your wanting to go turbo, there is absolutely no reason to buy kooks LT headers and waste all that money now since you won't need them with a turbo setup ( unless it's the sts kit )

My 2 exhaust choices were TD's or gmmg. I'm about 95% on the gmmg though. It's not going to be a daily driver, but I'll be driving it enough where I don't want to be annoyed by it. I know I won't go turbo for a few more years, so would it still be worth it to not buy LT's just because of that? Also, I would make my cam selection around the time when I'd decide to go turbo. BTW- Does anyone know how the f13 is for FI? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

if your going to not go FI for a couple years, just get you some pacesetter LT's for now they will do just as good until then and when you decide on the turbo, either get some kooks then or ditch the LT's altogether for some turbo manifolds. my TD's really do not annoy me the cruising and cabin noise is not that loud, makes the car sound 200x better IMHO never would i go back to a catback.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
if your going to not go FI for a couple years, just get you some pacesetter LT's for now they will do just as good until then and when you decide on the turbo, either get some kooks then or ditch the LT's altogether for some turbo manifolds. my TD's really do not annoy me the cruising and cabin noise is not that loud, makes the car sound 200x better IMHO never would i go back to a catback.
What's your entire TD set-up? What was your catback before the true duals? Do you think that a TD set-up with headers and a decent sized cam would be louder than with gmmg? I like the sound of TD's but sometimes it seems way too loud and obnoxious. GMMG with LT's and a cam sound almost perfect. But like I said, I'm very open to suggestions and opinions. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have installed a lot of the mods you're thinking about (variations of them anyway.. Pacesetters instead of Kooks for instance )

Can give you an advice about a lowering kit:
SLP springs & SLP shocks mated to those springs. I just got these installed this past Saturday - and couldn't be happier
Lowered about an inch, and should lower about .5" more as it settles. The gap is gone, and no clearance issues whatsoever.. even with my TSP catted ypipe, which does hang sort of low..

I may be getting ahead of myself, but what the hell, I've waited this long. Hopefully this T/A I'm looking at will be it. Anyway here's the set-up I'm thinking about. Feel free to comment or make changes, critisize..after all thats the beauty of ls1tech.

Intake/Exhaust: lid, ported tb, gmmg, tsp catted y, qtp's
Suspension: BMR lca's, panhard pod, sfc's, front/rear sway bars, shocks (what kind?), lowering kit (what kind?)
Drivetrain: gears, probably 4.10's (it will be a m6), and might as well through in a moser 12 bolt...you know, just for fun.
Wheels/Tires: TTII's 17x9 and 17x11 or whatever it is. And I'm not sure on tires. I'd go through tomzwheels, but eventually I'd change tires. Suggestions?
Internals: I've been researching cams and really like the f13 or a 224ish or some variation of that. Down the road I may turbo or s/c it, so I might pick a different cam once I decide.
Misc.: Shifter (kind?), maybe some drilled/slotted rotors and pads.

So, what do you guys think? Am I missing anything? Besides a couple tunes and dyno runs.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

What's your entire TD set-up? What was your catback before the true duals? Do you think that a TD set-up with headers and a decent sized cam would be louder than with gmmg? I like the sound of TD's but sometimes it seems way too loud and obnoxious. GMMG with LT's and a cam sound almost perfect. But like I said, I'm very open to suggestions and opinions. Thanks for your help.
i have hooker LT's, 3" ORX with flopro twister mufflers dumped before the axel 3" all the way. i had a magnaflow setup before the true duals, same headers and a ORY. i'm not sure about louder as i've never heard a gmmg exhaust. the TD's made it louder obviously over the magnaflow ( they are quiet as hell ) but more than anything simply improved the sound quality, gave it a deeper tone. like i said the interior noise is not that loud, my dad was very surprised when he drove it. if you want you can shoot me a PM with your email and i can send you a soundclip of my cammed TD's. it gets compliments all the time from people on the road.