New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can't afford heads/cam, but need to go faster... mod ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006 | 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by darrensls1
You really need to do some research. ALL LS1's are 345 HP. Let me say that again. ALL LS1's are 345 HP. How can I say this without a dyno sheet? Because all LS1 motors came from GM with 345 HP. They rated the corvette correctly. Then they underrated the SS/WS6 to not step on the toes of Corvette buyers. Then they underrated the Z28/TA even more so they could sell Ram Air hoods.

Do a search. Everything I stated is a well known fact. Not gossip or hearsay, but fact.

This is why LS1's dyno 280-315 rwhp in stock trim and run solid 13's in the quarter (sometimes even high 12's).
This is not completely true, not all the ls1 engines had the same equipment. I know my 98 had a slightly more agressive stock cam than the later ls1's but the heads flow worse than the 99+ heads and it has an ls1 intake, whereas the 01-02's have an ls6. Not trying to knock the fact that they will put down similar numbers, but not all ls1's are made the exact same. I agree though that they stated the corvette as 345-350 horsepower and the f-bodies lower so that people would believe that they were getting a diff/better engine, which isnt true.
Old 06-16-2006 | 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
This is not completely true, not all the ls1 engines had the same equipment. I know my 98 had a slightly more agressive stock cam than the later ls1's but the heads flow worse than the 99+ heads and it has an ls1 intake, whereas the 01-02's have an ls6. Not trying to knock the fact that they will put down similar numbers, but not all ls1's are made the exact same. I agree though that they stated the corvette as 345-350 horsepower and the f-bodies lower so that people would believe that they were getting a diff/better engine, which isnt true.
The LS1 motor did change slightly from year to year. But none of the changes were anything significant (other then perhaps the adding of the LS6 intake in 01). The main point was each years LS1 engine went into all the F-bodies and C5 Vettes.