Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner of a 02 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a 02 T/A

Some may remember my recent post on buying a 2000 SS, that deal fell through.

I use to own a 2004 SRT-4 Stage 2 w/ toys, and pretty much all bolt ons. It had problems for sure.
And even so with everything done and running right, I would consider myself lucky to hit high 12's on drags trapping @ 106ish. I figured it wasnt worth the hassle so I parted out and began my search for V8 muscle. In the form of a terminator cobra or ls1. For the shape I was looking in the cobra, it would have cost me around 25-26k, I'm guessing. Though I never found one. Decent ones in the CHicagoland area are few and far between. And if it is nice you are looking at near 30k asking price or over.

In my search for a terminator, I came across a 2002 Trans Am M6.To make a long story short, I know too late.

I traded my SRT-4 in on it. I gave them the SRT-4 plus $500 for the T/A. Which ended up being 10k less then a Terminator. Making it a no brainer. I could not pass this deal up. Also the T/A was sold as a Certified car. So I got a 1yr/12k warranty thrown in for free.:clap: So I am at the same payment my SRT was at for the term, and I called my insurance and it dropped 12% for the T/A.

So the cars details are as follows.

2002 TransAm M6
Hurst Shifter
T-tops
Black Ext. w/ Ebony Leather Int.
OEM 12 Disc Changer
Monsoon Audio

Current Mods:
SLP Lid
SLP Loudmouth Exhaust

My impressions:

Interior: is nicer, more comfortable seats, leather, controls. Just overall better. The monsoon is 5x better than the kicker. I just enjoy the overall feel of the car. I did loose a back seat but I don't really care about that.

Exterior is subjective, but I think it looks alot better than the SRT.

Performance:
This car would rape my stage 2 SRT-4. In any kind of acceleration contest. It's night and day. And this T/A as far as I know only has Lid & Catback. From a run in with a modded DSM, which had a small 16g@18psi, and all supporting mods. We are guessing my car should be good for high 12's@110-111. As it sits.

Future: I will be adding LT headers, ORY, CAIK, smooth bellows, Maf, & ported TB. Then in time coming Heads/cam.

Handling: I give the nod to the SRT on this one. But koni adjustibles and Eibach springs are on there way for the T/A.

Gas Mileage: Can't be certain, but I usually went about 180mi a tank in my SRT. Right now I have 175mi and I am a tad over a 1/2 a tank in the T/A.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

gotta love stock muscle ...welcome to the real world
Old 06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smart man and you couldn't have made a better choice.

Time to change your sig and start modding. LS1's love the mods.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Don't waist your time on a maf, just get a speed density tune either with the headers or wait for the heads/cam swap and totally get rid or the maf. you will be much happier I just got a speed density tune last week and it is so much more responsive and pulls harder through the whole power band.
Good luck they are a blast to drive.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats bro.. im sure you couldnt have went wrong with the cobra or TA!!
Old 06-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ubergeist
Gas Mileage: Can't be certain, but I usually went about 180mi a tank in my SRT. Right now I have 175mi and I am a tad over a 1/2 a tank in the T/A.
With the M6 you will not believe the highway mileage you will get. In my 2000 at 75MPH I used to get around 25MPG. Very good I thought for a true performance car
Old 06-25-2006, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good pic very smart man