Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To build a sleeper or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To build a sleeper or not?

I'm having an internal conflict with myself. I was originally going to build a sleeper....the whole silent but deadly approach, but then a good friend picked up a LT1 T/A with a flowmaster which sounds good for what it is. I guess it sparked a little competition even though we both know I have the faster car.

The sleeper build would be a smallish cam (224 or smaller), longtubes, ORY and the stock catback. The other approach would be a cam (somewhere in the 224 to MS4 range), longtubes and dual exhaust with 1 chamber flows or sweet thunders. I'll be running nitrous either way.

Anybody have any regrets running either setup? Which setup do you guys like?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stick with the stock catback, and get an electric cutout...
when you want to mess with him, open the cutout, and you'll have your attention.

when you're passing the cop, doing the sleeper thing, or trying to talk to someone in your car, you can just close the cutout with a push of the button....

best of both worlds.

plus the cutout flows great for the track... and flowmasters are amoung the worse flowing aftermarket mufflers anyway...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Launching!

A good sleeper would hurt peoples feelings when they lose to you. Personally I what my car to sound like it will kick your *** while it's idleing at a red light.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The thing I just don't get is, why a sleeper out of a muscle car???????????? Surely if someone thinks a Fbody is slow then they now little about cars anyhow. IMO if you want a sleeper it needs to be an unexpecting boring car. Not a car people expect to be fast. It's the same with people biulding sleeper Corvettes, yeah like I wouldn't expect a Corvette to fast???

I mean it really wouldn't be a shock to discovery a LS1 powered car to be fast regardless of badges or exhaust. Also the people who'd aprreciate such a setup will most likely know somthing about cars and would probably spot it for what it really is. So your cover would be blown and you'd simply end up with a car that's compromised in every respect:

-Performance
-Ability
-Parts choice
-Appearance
-V8 sound track
-Grin factor

But hay maybe it's just an American thing
Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by '01HAWK
A good sleeper would hurt peoples feelings when they lose to you. Personally I what my car to sound like it will kick your *** while it's idleing at a red light.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

300bhp has a good point about a sleeper being a car that normally isn't a fast car, but with an f-bod you could go for the V6 car look. Do a quiet single exit exhaust, plain wheels and debadge the car. Nobody will be the wiser until you mash the gas. Not my cup of tea, but you'd probably surprise a lot of folks.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
The thing I just don't get is, why a sleeper out of a muscle car???????????? Surely if someone thinks a Fbody is slow then they now little about cars anyhow. IMO if you want a sleeper it needs to be an unexpecting boring car. Not a car people expect to be fast. It's the same with people biulding sleeper Corvettes, yeah like I wouldn't expect a Corvette to fast???

I mean it really wouldn't be a shock to discovery a LS1 powered car to be fast regardless of badges or exhaust. Also the people who'd aprreciate such a setup will most likely know somthing about cars and would probably spot it for what it really is. So your cover would be blown and you'd simply end up with a car that's compromised in every respect:

-Performance
-Ability
-Parts choice
-Appearance
-V8 sound track
-Grin factor

But hay maybe it's just an American thing
dont forget, camaros and other fbodies are a dime a dozen here... and no, alot of people DONT know how fast they can be... and when they're quiet, and dont seem modified, they expect to whip its butt... as far as performance, with what i said, whats comprimised? what ability is comprimised? i see enhanced ability... i mean, its more streetable, nicer to enjoy.. appearance? hell we're not talking wings here... sound? thats whats great about electric cutouts.. you get BOTH.... and grin factor... theres nothing like idling quiet, having some douche pullup, talk ****.. and then watch HIS grin disappear as you open the cutout and that quiet exhaust turns into a rumpity rump cackle that you can feel at idle....

maybe they expect it to be fast there because they arnt as common? they do stand out quite a bit compared to the other cars there.. lol.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

F-Bodies are not sleepers, period.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
and flowmasters are amoung the worse flowing aftermarket mufflers anyway...
no sir, you're referring to the 80 series catback available for our cars. THAT is among the worst flowing mufflers out there. he is referring to flowmaster single chambers, the 6 1/2" race mufflers. those flow very well. dual exhaust with flowmaster single chambers will easily handle 500hp without being restrictive. that, in my book, is good flow. they also, IMO, are the best sounding true duals setup.

do not call flowmaster a poor quality name. they make a very good product, it just so happens that the muffler they designed for catbacks for our cars suck. ask mustang guys what they think of flowmaster.

t3h allm1ghtee fl0wmaster!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

I'd love to have a stripper hardtop ls1 z28 and pull off all the badges, put "hawt v6" or "fast v6" license plates on it, mod it keep the stock exhaust and maybe even put a resonator on it, but have an electric cutout. Also stock wheels with drag radials.

They'd never know what hit em...
Old 06-27-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
no sir, you're referring to the 80 series catback available for our cars. THAT is among the worst flowing mufflers out there. he is referring to flowmaster single chambers, the 6 1/2" race mufflers. those flow very well. dual exhaust with flowmaster single chambers will easily handle 500hp without being restrictive. that, in my book, is good flow. they also, IMO, are the best sounding true duals setup.

do not call flowmaster a poor quality name. they make a very good product, it just so happens that the muffler they designed for catbacks for our cars suck. ask mustang guys what they think of flowmaster.

t3h allm1ghtee fl0wmaster!

no. i stand by that statement.

the only diff is that the single chamber race mufflers are louder... there are still much better mufflers out there.. doesnt matter if you're talking race mufflers, street car "mufflers" or street car mufflers.
flowmaster did a excelent job marketing themsleves as a brand name.. even non-carpeople know what a flowmaster is... but that doesnt mean they're the best.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
300bhp has a good point about a sleeper being a car that normally isn't a fast car, but with an f-bod you could go for the V6 car look. Do a quiet single exit exhaust, plain wheels and debadge the car. Nobody will be the wiser until you mash the gas. Not my cup of tea, but you'd probably surprise a lot of folks.
I agree. Most people usually think a trans am is a v6 unless it has the ram air hood. With the stuff mentioned above, that's the only way you could pull it off. Otherwise, it's hard for a fbod to pass as a sleeper.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Off road Y + longtubes would definitely give your 'sleeper' away.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when they say what u got under the hood just say i got a borla exhaust.. in a redneck voice... trys to find that vid of a new GTO owner doing that then he raped a turbo charged LT1 or LS1
Old 06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gun5
when they say what u got under the hood just say i got a borla exhaust.. in a redneck voice... trys to find that vid of a new GTO owner doing that then he raped a turbo charged LT1 or LS1

Building a sleeper is one thing, but I think it's lame to flat out lie about your mods.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know about yall but whenever i hear sleeper...i automatically think rice, but thats just me i guess...show people what your car is really capable of and watch the jaws drop
Old 06-27-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zoltan
Building a sleeper is one thing, but I think it's lame to flat out lie about your mods.
pretty funny video.... id be bragging bout whats under the hood not liein personally lol.. let the loudness drown out every thing on the streets
Old 06-27-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Don't go sleeper, it won't be as fun. Nothing compares to cruising around in a nasty sounding car. Like others said it's true your really not gonna fool anyone that your car is not fast unless they never seen or heard of a Camaro. Go loud all the way!

Last edited by Shatterz; 06-27-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

lid, ported stock tb, ls6 intake, stock heads, cheaTR cam, stock exhaust manifolds, high flow cats, slp dual/dual exhaust, and a sneaky pete 125 shot hidden away. 500rwhp and will look and sound nearly bone stock.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either way you go nobody will want to race you. Sleepers don't get challenged and a cam car gets to much attention so you don't get many races because they think they will get beat.

My stock vert. is a sleeper because it has no hood, spoiler or cam. The only people who think my T/A may be fast would be f-body owners, my T/A looks like a V6 car with the 16'' wheels on it. I've noticed that fellow T/A owners just stare at my debadged T/A trying to figure out WTF is it. I love racing old school cam cars, I have video tape of beating up on over 100 old hotrods @ the track. The LS1 is amazing, smooth idle and still goes like hell, hard to believe.