Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beating six speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
do you realize you're sucking in a different quality air with the FTRA/SSRA? do you realize you have a scoop with the FRTA/SSRA instead of a dirt-sucking hole? also, in the case of the FTRA, it's routed to keep water out - and it even has blockoff plates just in case. with the FRA, all you get is a gaping hole in your airbox and a dirty *** filter. PASS! if it was so worthwhile, GM would have done it. free mods are worth every penny you put into them.
You get the same dirty air filter with FTRA/SSRA/SLP CAI as you do with FRA. In fact, if you get more air than the FRA does you would get a dirtier filter. If you got less air than FRA then the FRA makes more power.

Using the "if it was worthwhile GM would have done it" is comletely false. Why did GM use such a restrictive muffler? Air baffles in the intake? "Air silencers" in the lid?

Most people wouldn't want a filter that got dirty fast, even if it made more power. Hell, only '98s have accurage gauges because most people would rather have an idiot gauge that reads "cold, operating range, overheating" than actually know what their coolant temp is.

They also had to keep the car from making too much power so the Vette could remain top dog.

There is nothing wrong with the FRA mod.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you realize you're sucking in a different quality air with the FTRA/SSRA? do you realize you have a scoop with the FRTA/SSRA instead of a dirt-sucking hole? also, in the case of the FTRA, it's routed to keep water out - and it even has blockoff plates just in case. with the FRA, all you get is a gaping hole in your airbox and a dirty *** filter. PASS! if it was so worthwhile, GM would have done it. free mods are worth every penny you put into them.
You should really stop posting. Your opinions are all based on hypothetical situations, not situations that you have been in. Misinformation is the number one killer of forums, and right now you are the number one provider of misinformation.

BASE YOUR OPINIONS OFF EXPERIENCE, NOT BULLSHIT!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You get the same dirty air filter with FTRA/SSRA/SLP CAI as you do with FRA. In fact, if you get more air than the FRA does you would get a dirtier filter. If you got less air than FRA then the FRA makes more power.

Using the "if it was worthwhile GM would have done it" is comletely false. Why did GM use such a restrictive muffler? Air baffles in the intake? "Air silencers" in the lid?

Most people wouldn't want a filter that got dirty fast, even if it made more power. Hell, only '98s have accurage gauges because most people would rather have an idiot gauge that reads "cold, operating range, overheating" than actually know what their coolant temp is.

They also had to keep the car from making too much power so the Vette could remain top dog.

There is nothing wrong with the FRA mod.
Originally Posted by jdaniels
You should really stop posting. Your opinions are all based on hypothetical situations, not situations that you have been in. Misinformation is the number one killer of forums, and right now you are the number one provider of misinformation.

BASE YOUR OPINIONS OFF EXPERIENCE, NOT BULLSHIT!

i realize your filter would get dirtier faster. i never said it wouldn't. where did i say that? what i said was with a real ram air, you get the scoop and a better quality of air with the added protection against water in the intake. FTRA has been independantly tested at installuniversity. that is where i get my information from and will be ordering a FTRA this month. gains are also over the FRA mod, or as i like to call it, the hot air and dirty filter mod. to me, the stupid FRA mod is not worth the gains. prove me wrong.

as for the vette being the top dog, GM already underrated their cars 30hp, why not underrate it more? not an excuse.

lack of reading comprehension is the #1 cause of bad posting on forums.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Launching!

man, I hate threads like this, I waste my time reading through them hoping that eventually the people writing the bs trash will just admit that they don't know what they're talking about.

GM didn't do a number of things that are desirable to this crowd. GM was not trying to squeeze every drop out of these engines, there wasn't a need, as it was undisputably the best bang for the buck... so they focused a great deal on emissions (gearing, timing, tuning in general) as well as the smoothness, such as using baffles to quiet the intake, and routing the coolant through the TB, so that in colder climates, say the Northern 500 mile of the US, the cars would still start and idle fine in winter. And what's wrong with the FRA? All it does is open up the air intake for more air to come in...what does a lid do? Yeah, an aftermarket lid will give better gains than the FRA, but dollar for dollar...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

i call bullshit. dynos lie. it won't dyno exactly the same every time. dyno the car in the daytime, then cut a little this, unbolt a little that, dyno repeatedly at nighttime when it's a lot cooler and keep dynoing til you get a higher than normal reading. BAM! 10 rwhp. even if it was true, i'd rather not have the 10 rwhp than having a torn-up, ghetto-rigged air box with a filter that turns to **** every week and my tb bypassed when if it was such a worthwhile mod, GM woulda done it in the first place. there's a reason why GM didn't do these things in the first place when they were free to do - the negatives outweigh the benefits and you mess things up in the longrun. want a ram air? buy a kit or fab up a REAL ram air. cutting holes in things they don't belong isn't the way to go.
you're an idiot.

1. 10rwhp is more of a difference than you will see just dynoing under different conditions at a near stock power level.

2. It's well known and dyno proven that the tb bypass can get you up to 5 rwhp.

3. People have been doing the free ram air mod since 1998. That is one of the oldest mods people have done to these cars. Plenty of people have done it with no major problems.

4. You logic that something shouldn't be done since GM didn't do it as totally ridiculous. There are a plethora of build quality issues with f-bodies that GM didn't get right.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
11 Second Club

It's the same air, with or without the extra duct.

Your filter will get just as dirty, if not more so, with FTRA as with FRA.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

i realize your filter would get dirtier faster. i never said it wouldn't. where did i say that? what i said was with a real ram air, you get the scoop and a better quality of air with the added protection against water in the intake. FTRA has been independantly tested at installuniversity. that is where i get my information from and will be ordering a FTRA this month. gains are also over the FRA mod, or as i like to call it, the hot air and dirty filter mod. to me, the stupid FRA mod is not worth the gains. prove me wrong.

as for the vette being the top dog, GM already underrated their cars 30hp, why not underrate it more? not an excuse.

lack of reading comprehension is the #1 cause of bad posting on forums.
I did FRA 1 year ago and I still use the same filter. Do you realize that the air entering either FRA or any other similar ram air will be just as dirty as the next? They pick up air from the same region.

I think FRA is has minimal if any power gains -- so don't get me wrong there, but it doesn't really hurt anything but IAT while at idle. I based that off of direct observations via HP Tuners Scanner.

See how that works? I based my opinion off of direct observation and experience.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Resident

Red face

Originally Posted by jdaniels
Do you realize that the air entering either FRA or any other similar ram air will be just as dirty as the next?

i realize your filter would get dirtier faster. i never said it wouldn't.
i had no idea

i know how it works. it's basically just a hole in the airbox. if i were going to get my air filter dirty, i'd like some decent gains out of it. you're not going to see 10rwhp out of the FRA mod when crusing at normal speeds. with a true ram air system you will due to the scoop, not to mention the added security of water blockage. cutting up my airbox for 4 hp is NOT WORTH IT TO ME, it's not worth the dirty filter and chance of water in the intake. the FTRA system is proven to give gains in both hp, 1/4 mile, fuel mpg and overall engine efficiency by installuniversity. i don't see the point of cutting the hole in your airbox. if it's THAT IMPORTANT to you, get a true system to maximize gains and motor efficiency. they're not expensive systems - they're downright cheap.

so again, how am i wrong? i never said that you wouldn't see gains. i said the positives don't outweigh the negatives. GM didn't put it in because it wasn't worth it. the gains seen aren't worth the trouble. that is what i have been saying. read.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

you're not going to see 10rwhp out of the FRA mod when crusing at normal speeds. with a true ram air system you will due to the scoop, not to mention the added security of water blockage.

so again, how am i wrong?
You are very wrong. Read the bold section.

FTRA IS NOT a true ram air system. Not even close. The "ram air" on new vehicles, including WS6s, not a true ram air. This has been discussed many times here on tech, I will search for threads for you.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Resident

okay, underbody ram air system. the point is, it's far more advanced than the FRA mod. true ram air would technically use a hood to do it but we make due with what we have. that doesn't change the fact that what i'm saying is true: FTRA is superior to FRA and IMO is worth the additional cost.

don't twist my words, you know what i meant. you sound like CNN
Old 07-12-2006, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

okay, underbody ram air system. the point is, it's far more advanced than the FRA mod. true ram air would technically use a hood to do it but we make due with what we have. that doesn't change the fact that what i'm saying is true: FTRA is superior to FRA and IMO is worth the additional cost.
You are confused about what ram air really is. You suggest reading in a lot of your posts, now I am doing the same:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...air&forum_id=1

For all practical LS1tech purposes ram air is a myth. No matter what system you get what you have is CAI.

Reply again after reading at least the first post in my linked thread.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 07-12-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
you're an idiot.

1. 10rwhp is more of a difference than you will see just dynoing under different conditions at a near stock power level.

2. It's well known and dyno proven that the tb bypass can get you up to 5 rwhp.

3. People have been doing the free ram air mod since 1998. That is one of the oldest mods people have done to these cars. Plenty of people have done it with no major problems.

4. You logic that something shouldn't be done since GM didn't do it as totally ridiculous. There are a plethora of build quality issues with f-bodies that GM didn't get right.
I've been saying that for a while now.

Pink Taco-

What do you have to go off of? You have no real world experience. You have a nearly stock car that you've owned for maybe 2 months and you are arguing with guys that have built 11 second cars.

Its one thing to post your opinion, its totally different to tell other people that they are wrong and a certain mod isnt worth it because GM didnt do it. I know you take great pride in being an engineering student at Drexel, but your posts come off like you feel you're smarter than everybody else on the board, but you prove time and time again that you arent.

Go enroll in some type of English class. Maybe they can help teach you how to convey your thoughts over the internet without sounding like such a douchebag.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
You are confused about what ram air really is. You suggest reading in a lot of your posts, now I am doing the same:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...air&forum_id=1

For all practical LS1tech purposes ram air is a myth. No matter what system you get what you have is CAI.

Reply again after reading at least the first post in my linked thread.
what in the hell are you talking about? WHERE did your post come from? what does this have to do with the fact that the FTRA works? it's called a ram air system in the same way FRA is called ram air. now we're arguing the definition of a what ram air means? all i have said is that the FTRA system is superior and worth the cost over the FRA system. WHERE does the definition of "ram air" change the fact that the FTRA is superior?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by chadtx01
I've been saying that for a while now.

Pink Taco-

What do you have to go off of? You have no real world experience. You have a nearly stock car that you've owned for maybe 2 months and you are arguing with guys that have built 11 second cars.

Its one thing to post your opinion, its totally different to tell other people that they are wrong and a certain mod isnt worth it because GM didnt do it. I know you take great pride in being an engineering student at Drexel, but your posts come off like you feel you're smarter than everybody else on the board, but you prove time and time again that you arent.

Go enroll in some type of English class. Maybe they can help teach you how to convey your thoughts over the internet without sounding like such a douchebag.
so you're arguing the fact that the FTRA is superior to the FRA? is this what you're saying?

you are an *******. where did i say i'm smarter than anyone else? all i said is that in my opinion, the FRA is not worth it. either get a real designed system with a scoop that's proven to work like FTRA or leave it be. remember "do it right or don't do it at all"? i see hundreds of people posting that on LS1tech and now you're going to argue that?

what lies am i telling?

you people are relentless and ridiculous. you're the type of cocky dicks that give us LS1 people bad names. this is why ricers hate us. it goes both ways. get over yourselves. just because i don't personally have it doesn't make my information false.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

what in the hell are you talking about? WHERE did your post come from? what does this have to do with the fact that the FTRA works? it's called a ram air system in the same way FRA is called ram air. now we're arguing the definition of a what ram air means? all i have said is that the FTRA system is superior and worth the cost over the FRA system. WHERE does the definition of "ram air" change the fact that the FTRA is superior?

You claim that you will get more than double the power increase with FTRA vs FRA. Where does that difference come from? Do you believe FTRA and FRA are both true ram air systems?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Choco: Apparently your beliefs have changed in the last two days. I wondered why you kept thinking the FTRA was so superior to FRA. In searching for an LS1tech thread similer to the one I linked in Corvette Forums I found this post, from two days ago:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....04&postcount=9

Interesting when compared with your above post. It sure looks like you believe FRA is a CAI and the magical FTRA is a true ram air system. However, as shown in my vette forums link (or any real understanding of the phsyics invovled) none of these systems are true ram air.

Did you read the vette forums post/thread I linked??
Old 07-12-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to throw a party the day taco gets banned for making otherwise useful threads so full of BS that they are no longer useful.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Resident

depends on your definition of "ram air". if you're going by the definition of ram air as being exactly what the words implied - air being forced into your intake due to cruising speeds while providing 0 hp increase at idle, then yes, it's a ram air system. for the sake of your argument, i'm comparing a ram air system to whatever you deem the terms to be. if it's marketed as ram air, i'm going to call it a ram air system since it DOES force air into the intake. the SLP system is not marketed as a ram air system since it lacks the scoop. fasttoys sells the scoop extension.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Luna
I'm going to throw a party the day taco gets banned for making otherwise useful threads so full of BS that they are no longer useful.
i promise, i'll never point out the fact that the FTRA system is better than the FRA again since it's obviously false information, even though it's been independently tested and verified. why do you refute my claim

your post is a complete hypocrisy. it's the most useless post in this thread.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

so you're arguing the fact that the FTRA is superior to the FRA? is this what you're saying?

you are an *******. where did i say i'm smarter than anyone else? all i said is that in my opinion, the FRA is not worth it. either get a real designed system with a scoop that's proven to work like FTRA or leave it be. remember "do it right or don't do it at all"? i see hundreds of people posting that on LS1tech and now you're going to argue that?

what lies am i telling?

you people are relentless and ridiculous. you're the type of cocky dicks that give us LS1 people bad names. this is why ricers hate us. it goes both ways. get over yourselves. just because i don't personally have it doesn't make my information false.
You're right about one thing, I am an *******. But I'm only an ******* to people like you. You post about more than you know about. You read a few things and you think you know how stuff works, but you dont.

What do you have done to your cars? Catback and rims. That being the case, why are you telling people that a certain mod isnt worth it? How do you know its not worth it? you havent dealt with it, you've just read what somebody else read. And apparently you didnt read much, because look at how many people are more than happy with FRA.

You need to stop posting about **** that you dont know about. Have you noticed that you're the person that people keep arguing with in the majority of the threads you're involved in? That hasnt made you step back and think?

The guys that you are going back and forth with have faster cars, that they've owned for more than 2 months, that they've got bloodied knuckles working on. What do you have?

And who gives a **** if a ricer hates me? I have respect for fast cars, I could care less what some little **** with a civic and a wing thinks about me. Now go polish your rims.