Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Trans am...possibly

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
6K, are you insane. 6-8K will get you a TA in GREAT shape at an ADESA auction or whatnot. Hell, my friends 98 SS cost him 6500 off a lot in OK with 64K miles on it...you can do better.
Maybe a mustang buddy! A TA salvage title runs for no less than 7k if its reconditioned and in good conditions, clear title 9-10k lowest. Your friend got a hell of a deal or his car maybe it was salvage or you sure it wasent a z28 with ss hood and badges?

Last edited by stangeater99; 07-15-2006 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea for real. cars like that at the adesa here reel in the money big time. im hoping i can get this one for not a dime more than 5200 but if i dont i wouldnt be suprised for it to go over 7k. either way i want it lol. even if it does need to be pulled and the motor needs a good wash. it may be dirty but that doesnt mean it wasnt taken care of
Old 07-15-2006, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I got a *new* headlight assm. for $300 shipped, I dont know where they got $700 for one. a used hood goes for about $50, unless you want a ws6 hood witch they range from $500-$900 used. looks like you got a pretty good deal, how many miles on this car?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

91k we can def fix it no prob and if it does need to be pulled like i said we got a frame machine and puller n ****. I just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any *good reason* i should not bid on it. so far the most educated response ive gotten is the rails can be bent.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
im sorry yall but 7k doesnt cut it for fayetteville nc, the poor car will have over 130k miles on it for 8k probably way more and ragged out. if i can get this car for 3500 ill be very happy but I think that car deserves a good home such as mine. whadda yall think? doesnt it look sad sitting there, a legend in its time rotting away, possibly gonig to be parted out and crushed...
okay, please take this in the nicest way possible, i'm trying to be realistic, not mean. if 7k doesn't cut it in your area, you're not ready for an LS1. save up your money and wait. don't jump on this. i know it seems like you'll be getting a good deal since labor is free and parts are cheap, but that's because you're being far too optimistic. these things never work out as planned. you will find problems you didn't expect to encounter and things aren't going to work according to plan. there are going to be a lot of little annoyances and maybe even some big unexpected ones. when all is said and done, you're gonna spend 7k on the car and thousands more on parts because there's gonna be a LOT of things needed to be replaced.

don't forget, not only are you gonna have to replace the broken parts, you're gonna have to overhaul this entire car. you're gonna need all new fluids, new brakes and rotors (maybe even cables), plugs and wires, new tires...that's over a thousand dollars right there! when all is said and done, you're going to spend over 10 grand on a car that has been busted to **** and will NEVER be as reliable as a virgin f-body. with that 10 grand, please please PLEASE go out and buy a clean f-body that has a clean carfax. you'll be able to find one in great shape with 50k-60k miles for that. don't make a 10 thousand dollar mistake.

tack on the price of a brand new paint job too. a good paint job is an easy 2-3 thousand dollars if you want something that'll hold up like factory paint. if you sit back and truly analyze the situation, it's a HORRIBLE deal.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

maybe you'll wanna give this a look for the money:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=100

i drove over 120 miles for my car. HUGE difference in price in the middle of PA over south jersey! in south jersey where i live, they wanted like 20k for anything with less than 40,000 miles on it. in PA, around the lancaster area, they wanted 14,500 for a car with 24k on it. i had to make the drive and damn it it was worth it!
Old 07-15-2006, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

THen maybe you should get a $500 plane ticket and buy a nicer car where they dont rip you a new one. Also, we say the frame is dammaged b/c it probably is. I drive a 5.0 with full length subframes and was hit at 10mph in a parking lot. It required MINOR frame straightening (off 10mm). And that looks like a lot more than 10mph, hell, my bumper wasnt even dented, just blew the paint off it.

Man, thats a LOT of money, do you know how much a headlight assy costs?? Try $700 for the whole thing unless you find a used one. Yeah, I wrecked my 95 and sold it minus that $700 part . THose cars are NOT cheap to repair.

If you want a good deal on a newer LS1 F-body, check out McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville, TX. I used to live there and saw some VERY nice deals on those cars. Asking price of 9800 on a 64K mile TA. Heard of a WS6 LS1 going for 6K (DIdnt see it, but guy claims to have sold it for such...riiight, but who knows). I saw some really low prices, 01/02 SS's for 11.5K etc. were a dime a dozen.
He's right man, check out the valley. I live in McAllen and there are always clean title cars sold for under 9k. Here is a link to a nice 01 Z28 going for $7,500.00. 01 Z Hope the link works, the site requires you to create a login.

I don't think 5.5k is so bad on that car though... as long as the title is clean. If it had a salvage title, don't even bother. 2k and part it out.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

well hers the problem. my grandpa is the one who opened the bank account for me and neither my grandparents or my parents will let me go out of state to get the car and I know for a fact gramps wouldnt be to happy about me dropping a lot of money on a car when he knows he can get something just as decent for way less so salvage ismy only way to go. as for unseen errors I know the drill. when webought my 96 it had bad rear end bearings =/

plus that car wont ever be sold for under 3k dead bottom. thats just the way NC prices are. the auction cars are high the normal market is high our whole buyer/seller thing here is fucked up 6 ways from sunday
Old 07-16-2006, 02:02 AM
Launching!

It sounds like you have your mind made up. You asked a question and everyone is giving you the same advise. You obviously have done things like this before and know what to excpect. If bringing a car back to life with your gramps will give the car a certain value then by all means do it and enjoy it. Just don't plan on getting a steal of a deal when all is said and done.
My .02
Old 07-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Tech Resident

yea man, i agree. most people are gonna tell you it's a mistake but it seems like you're not too willing to hear the bad possibilities. i'm not trying to be mean, if you've done this stuff before, we could all very well be wrong. we're just mostly a forum of "do it right or not at all" and buying a salvage car seems scary as hell for us. if you know what you're doing, by all means do it because i don't think we're going to be able to change your mind. good luck with anything you decide to do, i hope you wind up with a killer ride either way. just don't forget to factor in a new paint job..and do NOT go to maaco!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol there there, theyre the same as every other car on the road when fixed. but anywho me and my grandpa deicded that we will go no higher than 5300

Nope... It is still a 'used' and 'previously wrecked' sportscar.

You get what you pay for friend. (and you are about to pay a bunch of good $$$ (not all at first but in the long run) for a lot of frustration and busted knuckles that could have easily been avoided by waiting a little while and SAVING your $$$ for something a little better)

Have fun!

Last edited by BigDaddyZ28; 07-16-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know im not agreeing with some of the opinions but dont be offended im the kind who will fight for their point of view and yes weve done this time and time again. id have to say for a 216 yr old I can do some pretty damn good body work and know what to do in order to et it done. I bought an 02 cougar back in june 04 and the entire front end was swung over 13 full inches and not only did I pull that suker back around but did the frameowork and such myself. and still to this day that car is being driven like a maniac by some lil blonde chick so im fairly certain I fixed it up well

But anywho yea I know to expect the unexpected and notice little things and right now I know as we all have agreed its swayed to the apssenger side, and also I think a tie rod may be either bent or broke
Old 07-16-2006, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

6K, are you insane. 6-8K will get you a TA in GREAT shape at an ADESA auction or whatnot. Hell, my friends 98 SS cost him 6500 off a lot in OK with 64K miles on it...you can do better.
6500 for an LT1 SS would be a good deal around here.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

91k we can def fix it no prob and if it does need to be pulled like i said we got a frame machine and puller n ****. I just wanted to post this and see if anyone had any *good reason* i should not bid on it. so far the most educated response ive gotten is the rails can be bent.

Nearly ALL of the people that have replied have given you 'educated' responses and 'reasons' why this is a bad deal.

Many of the guys on this forum have been in you shoes and have made the same mistakes that you are going to make...

Here is a question for you: If you passed on this deal and spent the time that you would have spent fixing all the messed up stuff on that car WORKING a part time job (so you could save up a little $$$), How much do you think you could save in a year or so for a better car?

Now add to that the $$$ that you did not have to spend buying parts for a car with a 'salvage' title...

$$$ saved + more $$$ saved = much nicer car with fewer headaches in the long run.

I am fairly confident that your impatience is not only going to cost you a pile of money but it is also going to leave you with many cuts, scrapes, busted knuckles, etc., and when it is all said and done, You will still be stuck paying grandpa back the money he loaned you for a 'salvage' car that is worth very little and constantly requiring attention...

When you could have waited, and saved, and got a much better deal.

Your impatience is going to be your downfall IMHO.

I have learned the value of patience. That is why I have not had a car 'note' in many years and the money that the finance company has NOT been getting from me can be put to better uses... Like MODS
Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Resident

hey man, i searched around for an LS1 for months and found no luck. i finally broke down and drove clear across the state to a town 120 miles away for a good deal. i've never been happier. mantras like "you get what you pay for" and "the best things come to those who wait" haven't been around for generations for nothing. it's sad but true.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know, but I guess wednesday will be the day I find out whats gonna be happening. I did call Teddy (my insurance buddy at the sale) the car was one of his clients' so he had some good info for me. the guy drove it mostly on the highway and wsnt real bad to it. older fella so he took care of it and teddy did tell me the hood was up on the car for a while so that explains the dust and isnt sure on how far over its swung but he remembers the radiator support isnt busted so thats good. he said we'd need to pull it like we originally thought so thats not a biggie and that we should get it for under 4k