New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam, convetor and what not

Old 07-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam, convetor and what not

so here i am with 99 Z28, auto, and im trying to decide what to do to it. What i would like to do is throw a convetor in the tranny. well with 2:73s i dont know what size of stall to get. i dont want to get rid of these gears because there fun. after that im gonna do a cam. the cam im intereseted in is the Old man cam from thunder racing. so, the real question here is how am i going to do this? what convertor do i need to match the cam? any help will be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

slow down there. the cam wont do you any damn good without supporting mods.
lid, cai, cat-back, headers. then you need the cam and a set of ported ehads would be nice. then you need tog et a stall to match the set-up and loose the 2.73's at least get some 3.42's
Old 07-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

i already have the supporting mods, kinda want to go from there.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh ok, yea first off i would get the gears. 3.73's are best but if you dont want them that steep even though its not much better, go with 3.42's. then get your cam and match the stall accordingly to all your other stuff
Old 07-17-2006, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

you see i just had the rear end rebuilt and im gonna stick with them. so i need to know what to do with what ive got. i would put 3:73 in but i dont want to go back in again.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

ack, ok thats understandable though. so yea just minus my gears and do the rest
Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

what all have you done?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol i got an lt1 with just lil bolt ons but come wednesday i might be having that red trans am a few posts down
Old 07-17-2006, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try posting this in the Internal Engine section.....those guys can really help you match a TC with a cam. I would go with nothing less than a 3500 stall....it's a scary idea at first but believe me it is not bad at all. Drives like stock until you hammer it and then hold on for dear life! If I were to buy another TC it would be a 4000. Find what TC you want and then go up a size or two. I wanted a 3200 so I went with a 3500. You want a 3500 then go with a 4000. TR224 cam works real well with a 3500 TC, MS3 works well with a 4000. Both are capable of 400 rwhp with bolt-ons and tune.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ever heard of GM Muscle (my hero on this forum) check out his ****, cam and spray only....look what gears he's runnin
Old 07-18-2006, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tainted, please dont take this the wrong way but going H/C first then a stall on an auto is backwards, and a bad idea. I had my cam (which is on a 112 LSA) in for a year before I had the converter and the street manners of the car sucked, it took more braking power to hold it at a stop, braking itself was effected to to the tight stall, and the cam still wanting to go, it gained me very little as it took me some to get in the powerband, along with other issues. The Great White Bat, here is my suggestion for you, and its very similar to 99Hawk262 who has some great advice; I think keeping your 2.73's is a good idea for your goals, like reject stated, check out GM Muscle's profile, he ran 10's with those gears, and they are highway gears so you will get better MPG than say a 3.23 geared car or higher, which will be nice when you get the stall, but in order of importance heres my list: Get a lid, cutout/catback, then a 3500 (its not bad I promise) stall with about a 2.5 STR, a 24k tranny cooler, and a good shift kit (TransGo is very popular), some people play it safe and also get a deeper pan to stop fluid from sloshing back on hard launches and starving the tranny of fluid, then get a good set of Longtubes (Pacesetters are popular because of price and they fit well aswell), and a ORY (the Hooker ORY hooks up to the LT's better than the Pacesetter one) after that, get your cam, 3500 and a TR 224 go very very well together, behave almost like stock and make very good power, to get the best out of any setup a dyno tune is needed. A 3500 stall will put you right where you need to be with that cam. Then get some LCA's and some DR's and you'll have a killer setup, that although isnt the most radical it will definately hold its own against modded cars. I went with pretty much an identical setup as I listed but I have some ported and polished LS1 heads, but everything else is identical, and I absolutely love the setup.

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
TR224 cam works real well with a 3500 TC, MS3 works well with a 4000. Both are capable of 400 rwhp with bolt-ons and tune.
I think a full bolt on stalled TR224 car is still going to have trouble seeing 400RWHP with that cam. But like its been said, autos and dynos don't go togehter.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Launching!

your tellin me autos and dynos dont go together lol. but yeah i have same gears and cam/stall i have is very daily driver friendly, just needs a good tune plus it throws u hard into the seat. i am going to do gears later on b/c if u think about it, you might have to step up to a 12 bolt or something later depending on how high stall/big cam u wanna go. so just do the cam/stall now and have fun with the gears, personally i am going heads also before gears, but i am a 98 as well

Search this Thread