New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gas do i use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, the owners manual says its ok to use anything between 87 to 91, with 91 being the preferred.

As long as it's good quality gas, the octane isn't going to make it blow up in it's parking spot...it just won't make the same power.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've been running 87 since I got it in march, but I'll just got ahead and switch over.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Incredible
Gee, the owners manual says its ok to use anything between 87 to 91, with 91 being the preferred.

As long as it's good quality gas, the octane isn't going to make it blow up in it's parking spot...it just won't make the same power.
ouch. ignorance is a killer,

lol u guys are nuts.

87 and 89 CAN be run...but you lose serious mpg and horsepower.

do you guys know WHY it's okay to run 87 and 89 in a motor with such high compression? knock sensor. when detonation is noticed, the computer retards timing. does anyone know what retarded timing does? that's right, rob performance! now, can anyone guess what will happen if your knock sensor goes faulty and you don't know it? hello, detonation and engine damage!

rather than lose mpg, lose horsepower and risk damaging the internals, just pay the extra $3 and fill up with premium like you're supposed to. regular or plus should NOT be run in a 10+:1 compression motor. it's plain and simple: if you don't wanna buy premium, get a different car. you don't belong driving an LS1 car. seriously. either do it right or don't do it at all.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

im with the taco dude,,,,i use the V-power, she just likes it that way..and really,,do the math,,,you do only pay an extra 3 to 5 bucks on a complete fill up.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Resident

i would try V-power but there's no shell anywhere near my house. there's one on my commute to work but i can't justify spending $3.27/gallon on shell's 93 octane when i can get BP 93 octane today on special for $3.05/gal. i'm gonna hit that up on the way home, it's 6 cent off premium friday

with my 5% cash back credit card i'll get it for $2.90/gal. almost seems like a deal
Old 07-28-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i got a 1999 camaro ss and i had the car since new and it onely gets bp 92 oct .becouse thats the highest oct that i have in my town but that is the gold bp
Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Teching In

what about sinclairs 105 octane?? just wondering cuz thats the highest ive seen around my area. i dont like sincliar just wondering but my truck gets the best power and mileage on 87, 91 it still has power but i get horrible gas mileage, for my truck i love conoco for some reason it loves that stuff it get the best on that gas.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
you don't belong driving an LS1 car

Repeat as required...

May, might, could, possibly, perhaps, etc... Doens't sound very definitive, so why make it sound like sure, instant death? Concern noted. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Tech Resident

Repeat as required...

May, might, could, possibly, perhaps, etc... Doens't sound very definitive, so why make it sound like sure, instant death? Concern noted. Thanks anyway.
tough ****, you don't belong driving it. here's why:

you bought an LS1 for power, yet you choose to run 87 and 89 and lose GOBS of horsepower when for three dollars more you can fill up your tank with the proper octane. cheap bastards like you make me scratch my head in confusion. filling up with regular or plus costs you so much mpg, it's actually cheaper to just fill up with premium. 87 and 89 work in emergencies but you're just not supposed to do it. if you are cheap and worred about an extra 3 dollars per tank, maybe you belong on this forum:

www.priuschat.com/

you only need 87 octane for them.

cheap *****. repeat as required. you treat your car like **** and lose money and power in the process. YOU DO NOT BELONG DRIVING AN LS1 CAR.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

yea i agree with you, why go route of buying an ls1 and then totally cheap out and buy anything less than 93? most stations here in nyc don't carry 91, so i always go with 93.

as stated before, how much do you stand to save by going with 87? there is a performance car made to run on 87, it's called a mustang. have fun with that.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Resident

that's why i don't understand. they buy an LS1 to get power and go fast, then they'll drop in low octane and lose the very power they bought the car for! what was the point of buying the car then?

to make it an even larger dose of stupid, you lose mpg with less than 91 octane. it actually costs MORE money to run 87 in your car than 91 because the cost to run 91 is less than the mpg you lose by running 87! if you calculate it, it only costs $3-$5 more to fill up your entire tank with 91 octane over 87 octane. big freakin' deal at this point! what's $3 on a $60 fillup? man, ron white WAS right when he said "you can't fix stupid".
Old 07-30-2006, 10:43 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by FireChicken2000
what about sinclairs 105 octane?? just wondering cuz thats the highest ive seen around my area. i dont like sincliar just wondering but my truck gets the best power and mileage on 87, 91 it still has power but i get horrible gas mileage, for my truck i love conoco for some reason it loves that stuff it get the best on that gas.
no, no, no, double no, triple no and more to the 105 octane. remember, the point is octane is to slow combustion. it is not a power adder. your car, to run at maximum timing from stock programming and to run optimally all the way around, you need 91 octane. that means when you run less than 91 octane things slow down but if you run 91 octane or more, it runs the same. your car will run no better on 93 than on 91 and high octane fuels can actually damage parts. run 91, it's all your car needs to run at its best. you only need above 91 if you ping.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

You should only use 91+.

That being said...if you use 87 and don't get on it you'll be fine. The stock PCM has low octane tables. If the PCM senses low octane fuel it will pull timing to compensate. That is what the owners manual says that any octane will work.

I only use 91+ because i drive it like i stole it.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

no...put premium in ASAP. try and get the highest octane possible (93 or 94) in order to raise the overall tank's octane to 91. and slap yourself for being cheap. if you wanna buy regular gas, sell your car and buy something that takes regular. not trying to be mean but regular should NEVER enter your tank unless you're in new mexico or somewhere where the highest octane they have available is ~87.

Choco, on a side note, have you been to New Mexico? if so, what part? you said 87 is the highest??? we have 90 as the highest round herr....with 86 being the lowest. And you know why 90 octane is the highest...because that's all that is needed due to the ******* gay *** elevation.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

tough ****, you don't belong driving it. here's why:

you bought an LS1 for power, yet you choose to run 87 and 89 and lose GOBS of horsepower when for three dollars more you can fill up your tank with the proper octane. cheap bastards like you make me scratch my head in confusion. filling up with regular or plus costs you so much mpg, it's actually cheaper to just fill up with premium. 87 and 89 work in emergencies but you're just not supposed to do it. if you are cheap and worred about an extra 3 dollars per tank, maybe you belong on this forum:

www.priuschat.com/

you only need 87 octane for them.

cheap *****. repeat as required. you treat your car like **** and lose money and power in the process. YOU DO NOT BELONG DRIVING AN LS1 CAR.
You got no frickin' idea...

In who the **** died an made you the man on anything? Wipe the foam off your mouth (or whatever that stuff is) and get some perspective. You are not the arbiter of who deserves to drive any f-body but your own.

Countless millions of miles (trouble free miles) have been driven in ways of which you disapprove. You opinion is no more or less valuable than anybody elses. And, it is just that...an opinion. Please keep that in mind when you tell people to sell their car because YOU don't approve.

As if...
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by HD1911
Choco, on a side note, have you been to New Mexico? if so, what part? you said 87 is the highest??? we have 90 as the highest round herr....with 86 being the lowest. And you know why 90 octane is the highest...because that's all that is needed due to the ******* gay *** elevation.
get as close to 91 as possible. your car requires 91 to run optimally, but obviously if 91 isn't available, get the highest thing. if the highest available is 87, get 87. why is this an argument? if you can't fill up with 91 then you can't get it. it's not your fault.

You got no frickin' idea...

In who the **** died an made you the man on anything? Wipe the foam off your mouth (or whatever that stuff is) and get some perspective. You are not the arbiter of who deserves to drive any f-body but your own.

Countless millions of miles (trouble free miles) have been driven in ways of which you disapprove. You opinion is no more or less valuable than anybody elses. And, it is just that...an opinion. Please keep that in mind when you tell people to sell their car because YOU don't approve.

As if...
fill up with regular. it'll cost you more money. all you'll be is another car that's easier to beat with your PCM's decreased timing. who died and made me the man? i don't need to be the man, i understand how octane works, you don't. i "disapprove" because running regular costs more money than running premium and it kills your horsepower. you're hilarious. you spend more money to go slower. if you want to run on 87 octane, get a mustang. there's no point of buying an LS1 for speed if you're gonna put regular in it and kill the very speed you bought the car for. ridiculous.

i "got no frickin' idea" yet you have no clue how your car is tuned to run...
Old 07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ouch. ignorance is a killer,

lol u guys are nuts.

87 and 89 CAN be run...but you lose serious mpg and horsepower.
i used 87 for two weeks and 91 for two weeks. With 87 I got 4 mpg better and couldn't tell the difference in the power.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Look at ChocoTaco369's avatar, title, and his lovely location. That should be your first clue to his attitude.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by aaron653
i used 87 for two weeks and 91 for two weeks. With 87 I got 4 mpg better and couldn't tell the difference in the power.
driving style: city vs. highway. you obviously didn't do the same commute, and don't say you did. your PCM handicaps your car on less than 91 octane. there is no feasible way you can get better mileage or more horsepower under the exact same conditions.

Originally Posted by WetChicken
Look at ChocoTaco369's avatar, title, and his lovely location. That should be your first clue to his attitude.
first off, i can't change my title. second off, the location matches the title. and what does me liking the big lebowski have to do with anything?

what i have a bad attitude against is "stupid". your car isn't calibrated or designed, with a motor as high of a compression as ours is, to run less than 91 octane. that means if you run less than 91 octane, your timing is pulled - which has been mentioned by several people, several times. this sacrifices fuel efficiency and power. it actually will cost you more in the long-run. also, if you get on the car hard with less than 91 octane, you can damage it. the PCM can only pull so much timing. after that, you'll still get detonation. do you know what detonation is? it's little, tiny firecracker-like explosions that happen inside your motor.

i have a bad attitude because i'm trying to answer a question and save people money while at the same time providing them better performance and longer engine life, and i get a bunch of people with absolutely no knowledge of octane of fuel tables basically telling me my information is either irrelevant or just plain wrong. if you want to be ignorant and run regular, be my guest. just don't expect to have a problem-free engine for 100,000 miles. expect to lose more races and have a lighter wallet.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Just let it go, and stop repeating yourself, PCM blah blah blah, we get it

Quick Reply: What gas do i use?