Sponsored by:

modding questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modding questions

ok here it goes
lots of questions that i and i think all new or soon to be ls1 owner want to know

the basics~what kind of fule/oil is best
we know a lid is a lid but whats best for your money
exhaust cats or ory we know go LT headers again best for money
whats the best ignition for your money i heard mds
ported tb or a bigger one
torque coverter explain and which is best

any thing i forgot just add
Old 07-21-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

93, 5-30
SLP probably
ORY, cats dont take much hp away, but they do clog up some
MSD not MDS, the stock coil packs are plenty though
ported, you dont need a bigger oen till you got serious mods
allows you to stall to launcha t a higher rpm, always go 1 level higher than you want, and match it to your mods. a good stall would be a 3500 or so
Old 07-21-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK,
Fuel, no less than Premium. 93octane in some places, 91 in others. Oil will vary form person to person as well. I think the most used is 5w30. Climate may change this as well. Some will say Mobil 1, Some Amsoil. You Pic.

A lid is a lid. Search for good fitment and price. I used Whisper. Had no problems AT ALL to date.

Exhaust is going to change with personal pref. If you want LOUD. Go loudmouth. You want good flow, Hooker, Magnaflow, B&B, LM2, Gmmg (also loud and deep with stock manifolds), Mufflex. Pick your choose. Headers, Pacestters are great fitment and price. Kooks stainless are going to be better quality. And Cats, no cats. Thats up to if you have to pass Smog. But really, high flow cats arent going to lose you much power. Nothing to worry about anyway.

As far as ignition, Im not too experienced with that. Get some NGK TR55 plugs and honestly, your stock plugs are good. Same with MSD wires, but your stockers arent bad.

TB, Go with a FAST 90mm Intake manifold and matching TB if thats what you want. But the stock LS6 is a good manifold too.

I have an M6 so someone else will have to help there.

Good Luck and keep us posted on progress
Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one answer to all your questions........

SEARCH!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

i've done my searching i;m pretty sure of what i want
which is an slp lid ,ls6 intake. ported tb, pacesetter lt headers. slp lould mouth exhaust/with elictric cutout. line lock, 4.11 gears,60# or bigger injectors, and street et's

but before i can do that i need the car looking fo a 99-02 firebird formy

turbo to come later the problem is i want it to be street legal so i have to find out if i can run an ory in VA
Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

those injectors wont be helping you a bit, you have no turbo n **** like that to need that much fuel. also bare in mind no cats with LT's and that LM will be unbearably loud and raspy as ****
Old 07-22-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

i got a granatelli for 60 bucks just find a lid off ebay.....you dont need an ignition, until you start pushing major power.....true duals is the way to go, outflows everything.....port your tb best bang for buck....and if you want to drive your car, go with a 3200 stall i wouldnt go higher even though guys will tell you, you can...and you need a tranny cooler with that to
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

the car stock without anything needs a tranny cooler to begin with
Old 07-22-2006, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

anothe question how much can the stock rearend take before it breaks
what will i pay for a tranny cooler
with a stall is there any way to run without it on the street but with a stall on the strip
what would be a good exhaust set up i mean i don't want it to be exssive but i want it loud and i plan on a cut out so what would be good i know the cut out will make it loud

and my goal is 500 hp to the wheels when i'm all done more after turbo and i want to stay away from the spray don't like fake hp
Old 07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
the car stock without anything needs a tranny cooler to begin with
I agree with Tainted. Especially if your racing.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RYU2
i've done my searching i;m pretty sure of what i want
which is an slp lid ,ls6 intake. ported tb, pacesetter lt headers. slp lould mouth exhaust/with elictric cutout. line lock, 4.11 gears,60# or bigger injectors, and street et's

but before i can do that i need the car looking fo a 99-02 firebird formy

turbo to come later the problem is i want it to be street legal so i have to find out if i can run an ory in VA
if you have a loudmouth, dont get a cut out.. its not worth the extra 1 or 2 hp or whatever it would be...
Also, you didnt state m6 or a4, maybe i missed it.. But if youre using the linelock for burnouts, the brake works fine.. And if youre using it to hold an m6 at the line, then with those et streets plan on getting a new rear or not driving your car much afterwards...
if you want to seem legal, if you need cats in VA, buy a cheap ypipe with cats or a used one, then gut the cats and keep the rear o2s in just have them tuned out..

You also didnt mention what year, but 01 and 02 have the ls6 intake and you can send the TB to bo white to be ported like i plan on doing.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anothe question how much can the stock rearend take before it breaks
what will i pay for a tranny cooler
with a stall is there any way to run without it on the street but with a stall on the strip
what would be a good exhaust set up i mean i don't want it to be exssive but i want it loud and i plan on a cut out so what would be good i know the cut out will make it loud

and my goal is 500 hp to the wheels when i'm all done more after turbo and i want to stay away from the spray don't like fake hp
A4's are nicer to the stock rear than m6 cars, so you shouldnt worry to much. You would want to think about a 12 bolt after full bolt ons and sticky tires. I drive an m6 so dont know how much a tranny cooler would run you. There is now way to have a stall on the strip but not the street. The exhaust all comes down to how much money you want to spend. A Magnaflow or hooker catback with a good catted y and LT's would make good power and wouldnt be too "loud" but thats what the cutout is for. As stated before, a cut out with a loudmouth is pointless because the LM is already so loud and free flowing.

For 500 rwhp you will need a big cam and some good heads, but save that for after the beefier rear. For now go with a stall, tranny cooler, p&p TB, ls6 intake, full exhaust, lid, good tires and a tune.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

k well im looking for an a4 i can't drive a stick
Old 07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

k well im looking for an a4 i can't drive a stick
dont let that keep you away from an m6... you will stall the first day, maybe the second, and third a little and by then you should be fine.. i would say after a week your good to go on a steep hill.. first time i ever drove stick was when i test drove my car, i stalled twice.. find a big strip of grass to try stick and it will be a little less harsh on your ego, and car haha

base your decision off of things like, do you want to drag race it a lot, since stalled autos are better..
Old 07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LPWS6
A4's are nicer to the stock rear than m6 cars, so you shouldnt worry to much. You would want to think about a 12 bolt after full bolt ons and sticky tires. I drive an m6 so dont know how much a tranny cooler would run you. There is now way to have a stall on the strip but not the street. The exhaust all comes down to how much money you want to spend. A Magnaflow or hooker catback with a good catted y and LT's would make good power and wouldnt be too "loud" but thats what the cutout is for. As stated before, a cut out with a loudmouth is pointless because the LM is already so loud and free flowing.

For 500 rwhp you will need a big cam and some good heads, but save that for after the beefier rear. For now go with a stall, tranny cooler, p&p TB, ls6 intake, full exhaust, lid, good tires and a tune.

tranny coolers are less than 100$
Old 07-23-2006, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

ok
well i am look to drag the car so a4 with stall is what i think i'm gonna go with

i just found the perfect expression for a dumped exhaust