New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want a highway QUEEN

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a new GTO. The car has a 6.0 liter 400hp engine. Nicer ride quality than an F body, and much more room inside than a corvette. I think this car more than qualifies as a "highway queen".
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the impression that he wants more high end power from the post "highway queen", a lot of people are saying go h/c plus f/i however, unless your talking a specific f/i cam i dont think that would be a very good match.....in most cases cams that are very close to stock work extremely well with f/i.....a 03 or 04 zo6 cam would be a great base for a good tt setup.....in my opinion, like i said earlier, go by an 02 electron blue z06 (one of my fav cars) keep the cam or go with a tt specific cam, get the heads ported or go with some better flowing afr's then bump up the valvetrain, forged internals etc. after that make sure you do your bolt ons like lt's and off road x pipe....then get a upgraded fuel system rails lines injectors pump the whole deal to support your turbo setup up, i would suggest a tt setup a T-72 or plus for sure...you will make sick power with it...maybe get it turned for a 93 and 103 octane mix so you can still filll up at the pump yet also utilize rc16 or better if you want to turn up the boost.....jus my .02 i dont know much about f/i so post up in the f/i section ok
Old 07-29-2006, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackhawk J
How about a new GTO. The car has a 6.0 liter 400hp engine. Nicer ride quality than an F body, and much more room inside than a corvette. I think this car more than qualifies as a "highway queen".
that **** is weak as hell...i would take a f body or a vette any day over a new goat....i am not even that fast or have more then simple bolt on's and i walk those things....not to mention there no more of a highway queen then a boat is.....there not even half as aerodynamic as a vette nor are they better then a f body.....this guy wants a car thats gonna pull up to or better then 180 no problem....not some goat that has a 6.0L block yet cant cut **** for e/ts or top end....sorry to flame but that car sholdnt even have been brought up.....
Old 07-29-2006, 10:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
i got the impression that he wants more high end power from the post "highway queen", a lot of people are saying go h/c plus f/i however, unless your talking a specific f/i cam i dont think that would be a very good match.....in most cases cams that are very close to stock work extremely well with f/i.....a 03 or 04 zo6 cam would be a great base for a good tt setup.....in my opinion, like i said earlier, go by an 02 electron blue z06 (one of my fav cars) keep the cam or go with a tt specific cam, get the heads ported or go with some better flowing afr's then bump up the valvetrain, forged internals etc. after that make sure you do your bolt ons like lt's and off road x pipe....then get a upgraded fuel system rails lines injectors pump the whole deal to support your turbo setup up, i would suggest a tt setup a T-72 or plus for sure...you will make sick power with it...maybe get it turned for a 93 and 103 octane mix so you can still filll up at the pump yet also utilize rc16 or better if you want to turn up the boost.....jus my .02 i dont know much about f/i so post up in the f/i section ok
thats why they make f/i cams
forged 346 afr's MILD f/i 218-220 cam 671rwp 25+mpg drives perfect and that was on a 97 . i think thatd be plenty of power for him
Old 07-29-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

that **** is weak as hell...i would take a f body or a vette any day over a new goat....i am not even that fast or have more then simple bolt on's and i walk those things....not to mention there no more of a highway queen then a boat is.....there not even half as aerodynamic as a vette nor are they better then a f body.....this guy wants a car thats gonna pull up to or better then 180 no problem....not some goat that has a 6.0L block yet cant cut **** for e/ts or top end....sorry to flame but that car sholdnt even have been brought up.....
You're right, a car that is only 2/10ths slower (stock) than your f body and is far more civilized is weak. Do your homework fuckstick.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

ok heres my question, nobody has really talked gearing...he said he wants power all the way up and all the way down, so my thought would be that the stock 3.42 would be a good gear to keep....its great low end tq but still has that 6th gear that pulls to the moon with the right power....155 in 5th haha come on....now another thing your gonna want to thnk about is if you want to reinforce the drivetrain....aka do you want to go 12 bolt....modified 10 bolt..or a 9" plus a new driveshaft axles transmission etc.....now if you never plan on launching this thing at the track spending money on a chromoly driveshaft and a 9" and a th400 is stupid but you need to figure out what your wanted out of this car cuz a bullet proof rear will also have you losing more hp and tq do to parasatic loss and wieght as well as some other underlying factors...FWIW
Old 07-29-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the GTS idea too...but they sound like UPS trucks...thats why I say stay with 03-04ish Z06, build it a nice forged motor with a somewhat sedated cam for the street and boost it like a maniac with a real turbo kit...you should be able to do that for your price goal.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueSix
You're right, a car that is only 2/10ths slower (stock) than your f body and is far more civilized is weak. Do your homework fuckstick.
calm down....it may be 2/10ths slower then a f bod with a pro drive but i have never raced a gto 04, 05, or 06 that was even close to me..not 2/10s not 6/10's not anythng....and plus were not talking ET'S were talking highway racing and last time i checked (maybe you should be for you talk) the wind tunnel testing and aero specs on the gto they werent even close to that of the vette....its not bad compared to the f body but not even close to the vette....which if you also read was the car i recommended...so in reguards to your fuckstick comment, grow up. they guy wants info on a highway queen not a gto...anyone that picsa gto over a vette is a moron when it comes to top speed stability and aerodynamics in reference to drag coeficients and lift at higher velocities. and last time i checked most sports cars....and all race cars arent very civilized....im not really sure that when your burning down the highway your to concerned with the 12 disc cd changer, your leather wrapped stearing wheel, or your 12 strategically placed cup holders so if you want civilized go by a sedan.....cuz this guy wants a race car!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they guy wants info on a highway queen not a gto...anyone that picsa gto over a vette is a moron when it comes to top speed stability and aerodynamics in reference to drag coeficients and lift at higher velocities. and last time i checked most sports cars....and all race cars arent very civilized....im not really sure that when your burning down the highway your to concerned with the 12 disc cd changer, your leather wrapped stearing wheel, or your 12 strategically placed cup holders so if you want civilized go by a sedan.....cuz this guy wants a race car!!!

yeah the vette is prolli the best option as far as aero. goes, the gto would be like a dump truck trying to go through the air at those speeds, dont get me wrong i like the gto's but for something that this guy is looking for its def. not the best option.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1charged

yeah the vette is prolli the best option as far as aero. goes, the gto would be like a dump truck trying to go through the air at those speeds, dont get me wrong i like the gto's but for something that this guy is looking for its def. not the best option.
******* RIGHT....i like this guy...i believe he possess's this **** called common sense

+1 for common sense vette=great aero....gto="civilized dump truck at 130+"
Old 07-29-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

get a older zo6, build the motor and then TT it and have fun. just send the stock heads to get reworked while you build the motor, and port match the intake. It will be one fast bitch.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks again for the awesome responses. So with the 03-04' ZO6, the stock cams and gearing are ok with a tt setup? And what are some "real" turbo-kits out there for the ZO6?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by wrxrick
Thanks again for the awesome responses. So with the 03-04' ZO6, the stock cams and gearing are ok with a tt setup? And what are some "real" turbo-kits out there for the ZO6?
NO its not ok a stock zo6 wont be able to handle much boost safely the stock compression is to high . thats why i say c5 forged LOW compression motor head cam and the blower or turbo
Old 07-29-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea I say if your set on a vette get a 99+ frc vette (fixed roof coupe = no removable glass panel). It looks just like the z06's except for the mesh side vents and wheels pretty much. You could probably get a used high mileage one for around 20K. Then get a forged 346 with some nice heads and a procharger or single turbo kit and with proper fuel mods and tuning you could hit 600+ rwhp and it would be a beast on the highway.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im with you badpewter def a C5/forged 346 or 402 if possible/nice set of afr 225's/turbo cam/fuel system/single turbo kit or ds1c and bam you have your 600+ rwhp car for the high way. Might want to beef up the tranny and suspension though to handel all that power but the stock suspension is pretty damn good.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

exactly
heres a 97 DD

Click here to see Video
Old 07-29-2006, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

I'd suggest (like others have) a C5 coupe (not Z06 or FRC). I wouldn't pay the extra money for a Z06 if you are going to change the heads/cam anyway. The regular coupe is more aerodynamic than the Z06/FRC (or so I've read). Plus the '97s and '98s (maybe 99s?) have return-style fuel systems.

Forged 9-9.5:1 408, A&A Corvette T-trim Vortech, mild cam (maybe 224/228ish), all the goodies, fuel system etc, should make ~750rwhp pretty safely. Leave the 3.42s in, get a good clutch (Exedy, Textralia, etc), FLT trans, DTE trans brace. It will hit 200mph in 5th with 295/35-18 tires at 6600rpm.

It will be expensive but reliable, and will fly on down the freeway.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KrisR
The regular coupe is more aerodynamic than the Z06/FRC (or so I've read).
Yep, that's why the C6Z is a fastback (although not a targa).

I would absolutely go with a regular C5 fastback, maybe one with some motor issues, because the stock LS1 will be worthless to you, and have a motor built with a forged bottom end, a durable valvetrain, a low static compression ratio, and a single large turbo. With a good tuner a single huge turbo will reach full boost almost immediately, two slightly smaller turbos is sort of minimal gain for the money, and I'd prefer a turbo to a supercharger because there is less power lost.

I'd also drop it, vent the hood, and other things can be done to make it more stable and comfortable at very high speed.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

All very interesting stuff. I agree with everyone else, with the Vette. You're just going to be hard pressed to find another vehicle that will handle the way it does at those high of speeds.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:33 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

honestly if you want a highway queen a viper is the way to go. A tt kit isn't too pricey. where are you located? the kit I know of is a frontmount kit designed to run on a stock motor. my neighbor made over 750rwhp and 850rwtq on like 8#'s. shoot me a pm if you are interested in going this way.