New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating going over to the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hooker sounds good at WOT, but is pretty quiet everywhere else, some think its too quiet. I liked mine, but it rusted out, got another, rusted out again so no more Hookers for me (no pun intended). If I were you I would do either Corsa, Magnaflow or a Cut-out, then a lid, and FTRA (some love some hate the FTRA as it does get your air filter dirtier and makes your car more prone to suck up water on in heavy storms, or the remains of). You'd be set after that, get good MPG and have a well rounded car. Honestly I LOVE how my buddies SS sounds with his cutout and lid, it sounds sick, very quiet at idle and cruising and decent up top. But if a cutout is out, then I'd go the other route.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hooker catback and a bullet inline. I love the way it sounds and I get compliments all the time. From my perspective its just right, nasty at WOT and off idle its not bad at all and on the highway its almost like stock the drone of a super loud exhaust on a long trip is pretty annoying.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

I have a modded mustang, but it's a little quicker than yours, 7.0's in the 1/8. I'm not sure why yours is so slow? I recently bought an 02' WS6 and love it. I wanted a cruiser since the mustang is pretty much getting more strip than street. You wont regret the LS1, it's smooth and quick.

Mines an auto with slp lid and corsa catback, it runs very consistent 13.30's at the track over the past two weeks. I'm sure the 6 spd's are more fun on the street, but I've run better than the stock 6spd. cars with street radials at the track. Just put the tranny in O/D and floor it on the last yellow light.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's my car. it's a corsa. my car is bone stock, just a lid and the corsa catback. tell me what you think:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/38ca9...190161897c.htm
Old 08-11-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Speaking to stock manifolds, the Magnaflow sound is pretty smooth IMO. It doesn't lean toward the loud side (ala Loudmouth), the "exotic" side (ala X-pipe), nor the deep-muscle-car-rumble side (ala GMMG). It's a nice tune, with a "I have a secret" song to it, but not intimidating like the aforementioned exhausts.

I know it's not your plan, but true duals on Dynomax bullets is an awesome sound with plenty of flow. If I'm not mistaken, a cat-back actually costs a bit more than a superior TD setup.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw all yall, i love the sound of my L/M WITH a cut-out! My wife hates the cut-out cause she says it makes her *** vibrate!!!LOL!!! Personally deciced to go with L/M cause i new i was gonna be having a kid soon and wouldnt be able to afford Headers so i wanted the most free-flowing cat-back on the market!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys i was curious, ive heard some friends say that those cold air kits let water into the engine through the opening in the front kind of like the old SS hoods, is this true? Im askin cause i really would like to get one. Where can i get one of the mentioned cais?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nate-roth
I have a modded mustang, but it's a little quicker than yours, 7.0's in the 1/8. I'm not sure why yours is so slow? I recently bought an 02' WS6 and love it. I wanted a cruiser since the mustang is pretty much getting more strip than street. You wont regret the LS1, it's smooth and quick.

Mines an auto with slp lid and corsa catback, it runs very consistent 13.30's at the track over the past two weeks. I'm sure the 6 spd's are more fun on the street, but I've run better than the stock 6spd. cars with street radials at the track. Just put the tranny in O/D and floor it on the last yellow light.

Neither do I.

9.4@77.5mph in the 1/8.

GT40P heads, X303 cam, 4.10's, TKO500 tranny, full MSD, 575 speed demon, the list goes on so far it makes me sick all over. About 10K worth of parts in this thing and I am DONE talking about or thinking about WTF is wrong with this piece of **** ford. I AM DONE! It has 150psi across the board compressioon on and on and on. Everything checks out. DONE, Ford can kiss my *** because I am VERY MUCH SO hoping to go GM if some of my finances arrange favorably.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gyrene2003
hey guys i was curious, ive heard some friends say that those cold air kits let water into the engine through the opening in the front kind of like the old SS hoods, is this true? Im askin cause i really would like to get one. Where can i get one of the mentioned cais?

I've only heard stories of friends of friends who had water picked up by their cold air.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

My car has the best exhaust I've ever heard on an LS1, long tubes and what looks like Mac or Flowmaster, I'll have to get under it and find out for sure. My buddy Josh has a 99 Z28 with Loudmouth II, Way quieter than mine at idle and at WOT. It's modular (change mid-pipe between:1. straight pipe, 2. resonator. 3. an actual muffler, glass pack I think.) Anyway, the muffler was too quiet for him, the straight was too raspy, so the resonator was just right. If you go with L/M 2, you will have the choice of 3 different exhausts in one and can change the midpipe out between the three as you like. So if you get tired of the NASCAR-ish straight, put the muffler on. If you're tired of the docile tone of the muffler, put the resonator on kind of like a happy medium. If I were ever to replace my exhaust, it would be LoudMouth 2.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

How much $$ is LM2?? I like this!!! Track it gets the straights, daily the resonator.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stanger88
This car is not going to be about power. The lid is $90 and I want the sound, that is the reason for the mods chosen.
Are you going to install the fart can muffler too?

I will give you some credit for buying an F body. At least you won't return on foot.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a cut out. I agree with all of them. I just bought a 99 TA and that's the first thing I'm doin. Along with changing out the stock exhaust tips cause they are hidious.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WetChicken
Are you going to install the fart can muffler too?

I will give you some credit for buying an F body. At least you won't return on foot.

I guess since I am used to a car that sounds good (cammed 5.0) that makes me rice? Maybe I just dont like how weakass a stock LS1 car sounds. I prefer a little rumble.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I guess since I am used to a car that sounds good (cammed 5.0) that makes me rice? Maybe I just dont like how weakass a stock LS1 car sounds. I prefer a little rumble.
Atleast your not stupid enough to buy a shitty flowmaster f-body catback. Seriously man don't listen to that homo he doesn't know what he's talking about. The stock exhaust is way too quiet I agree
Old 08-24-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

do yourself a favor and get some true duals... the lm, tsp rumber..ect all resonate really bad. At first I liekd it, now I don't...and i'm going to true duals. The y pipe setup sounds like ****.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

After doing a bunch of reading on the boards, and what I have learned is most people do upgrades for performance and make the sound secondary.

All you have stated so far was to have the sound, and care not about performance gains, so that makes me think you are of the ricer mentality.

I also agree that the stock is too quiet, and needs to have the upgrade, but not because it is quiet.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not everyone has a ton of spare cash to mod there cars and people do not do sound second! BTW Maybe do some more reading and get rid of that blowmaster catback Your talking about performance when you have the worst flowing catback here.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WetChicken
After doing a bunch of reading on the boards, and what I have learned is most people do upgrades for performance and make the sound secondary.

All you have stated so far was to have the sound, and care not about performance gains, so that makes me think you are of the ricer mentality.

I also agree that the stock is too quiet, and needs to have the upgrade, but not because it is quiet.
the 5 hp difference between a good sounding catback..to a bad sounds catback, but flowing better doesn't make you a ricer. The sound you have to deal with every day, i'm going to duals because I got tired of the rasp sound of my tsp rumbler...does that make me a ricer because I'm spending money on jsut changing the sound?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no it doesn't