Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Power!!

Hi, Im Chris.

Im looking to build my 2001 Z28.
It is an auto/transmission car.

I would like to know what it would take, to have a couple hundred more horsepower than I already have?

Im ALL STOCK, so this should be interesting. I trust that the guys on here are honest, and will lead me in the right direction. I heard about this web-site through a friend. And I cant wait to hear from you all. Im interested in keeping the motor naturally asperated. Ive owned the car for a year and a half. I took my time with it, I stepped up from a S-10 truck and I loved the power difference. I just want a little more now that Ive had it for this much time. So lets talk Horsepower!!! What have you all learned that you could share? Im only interested in some motor mod's, no trans, or rear-end work. I want to know how much power I can squeeze out of her, without going to the next stage of upgrading the rest of the drivetrain.

All I really want to know is, name brands that are good with LS1's. Cam, Head, and Intake combo's. And different bolt-on's that would make me smile when I push her down the drag-strip.

Thanks for your time!

Respectfully,

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Some good brands are AFR, ETP, Dart, Patriot, RGR, MTI,for heads. Cams you can look at the LG lineup, the Futural cams, MTI cams, Speed inc grinds, and some others. Intakes, FAST 90 or a Ls6 but there seem to be some more coming soon. Shops ---->
You should look into doing a stoker or H/C with some N2O to add some good numbers. Do a search and get opinions on combos!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

"a couple hundred" more horsepower huh?

Well you are going to have to go full bolt-ons with a nice heads/cam setup if you are wanting to stay n/a. A nice shot of n2o might be necessary as well.

Take a look around this website. Everything I have has come from here and I know tons of people that are the same way.
http://www.texas-speed.com

Also, there are tons of stickies on this site, read them.
Here is a good one:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

Good Luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As jpat said if your looking for 200+ hp then your going to have to go huge cam and badass head setup, or power adder (turbo/sc/N20). I say go with a g5x3 cam from lg motorsports and toss on a 100 shot of N20 and you will be near the power levels your looking for. This means though that your going to need a 3500+ torque stall converter, long tube headers, B&M tranny cooler, true duals or free flowing catback (ex: magnaflow), ported TB, underdrive pulley, upgraded fuel system, and a really good tuner.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

+1 as well for texas speed as they have some nice heads/cam setups as well
Old 10-17-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well your car has the ls6 intake manifold, so your good there. Start with the basics, lid, longtube headers, and a catback exhaust. From there, I agree with the others, check out texas-speed for some head/cam packages. Then find someone to tune the thing and I think you'll be satisfied. It won't be a couple hundred horsepower, but you'll be happy. With the added power, your going to want to look into some suspension upgrades (LCAs, subframe connectors, etc.), and possibly another rear end (12 bolt).
Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Teching In

How Did you achieve that kind of horsepower and torque with stock heads and intake?? Also... Ive already purchased a set of Mac Headers 1 3/8, w/ y-pipe 3", and im gonna send that through one 1 chamber Flowmaster. And then come off the one chamber with a 3" split both ways and turn them down behind the rear tires. Also, I plan to remove the cat's as well with the O2 simulators. What do you guys think about that Idea? And will it work? I purchased the O2 sims from LS1speed.com

one more thing.... what are the factory spec's on my injectors?

And what would be the highest lbs/hr I could go, with factory heads/cam?

do I have to change MAP? and MAFS? or what? I want to learn as much about fuel-injection as I can!!

When they say tune? does it only mean adjust the difference in air/fuel intake and combustion inside the ECU?

Last edited by Iwreckedmybike04; 10-18-2006 at 03:27 AM. Reason: another question?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

You could upgrade to SVO 30# injectors and you can leave the MAF sensor alone. It is fine. Don't swap it out either, just asking for headaches there. Tuning is an art and a science. If you are unsure don't touch it and leave it to the pros.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Yea ford SVO 30's should be good. LS6son achieved his power through stock heads and intake because he has a 408 as opposed to the stock 346 LS1 engine that the rest fo us have. Mac headers are decent but I would have went with pacesetter longtubes as the macs are only midlength headers. I had them on my camaro and then flow well decent, just not quite as well as longtubes. You Idea for the exhaust should work fine as well. You factory injectors, I believe, are 26.6 #'s/hr. As for the ECU you will need a tuning program, such as HP Tuners or EFI Live, to adjust your fuel curves and maps using a laptop.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Also, since your an automatic, one of the best mods is going to be a torque stall converter. If your planning on going big cam id say at least a 3500 stall.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Also as someone else in the thread said you should look into some weld-in subframe connectors, lower control arms, and an adjustable panhard rod.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Are the SVO#30 going to just plug in?

What is the highest rated lbs/hr fuel pump I can put on the car being that its stock?

Along with fuel rails, injectors etc.

My next goal is to upgrade the fuel system.

I wish for it to support up to at least 500-700hp on a regulator.

My uncle builds engines for Petty Enterprizes, and he wont give me any secrets. But he did tell me that the reason my car is so much different from his vette is, His has full exhaust and a fuel system. He also added that chevorlet has limited the fuel system&exhaust in our cars for insurance purpose. It would have two high of a horsepower rating to sell in the category that its in if the fuel/air/exhaust department on our LS1's was sent out to their fullest potential. He told me that from stock, I could bolt-on in just the fuel department alone 400-500hp.

The reason Im asking so many questions is he wont tell me what name brands, type of equipment or anything. He also make's things for his racecar's so he might be thinking about what he could do.

All I know is his corvette Is nice, and superfast. It makes my LS1 look like childs play!! haha

I just wish I could step it up to hang with him at the strip!

again thanks for all your time and help.

Respectfully,
Chris
Old 10-21-2006, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

For a fuel pump you could upgrade to a bosch 420lph in line then get some decent fuel rails, and for 700hp you will need a bigger injector than the 30#'s. Could go with the Motoron 60# injectors. They are high impedence as well so there will be less hassle as with some other larger injectors. Even the 30's won't plug and play though. You will need a tune with new injectors. Speed inc sells a decent fuel system that would meet your needs or will build you one if you desire. Nicely priced as well. Aeromotive fuel parts are nice too. Check out the sponsors for prices.

If you are gonna be looking at 5-700hp then sell the midlength headers and get some long tubes. If money is a problem get some used but do it right the first time to avoid wasting money. I know! If you want to upgrade to long tubes let me know. I will have some QTP's for sale in mid november with 0 miles on them. But do a search and find the quality brands. Kooks makes some quality longtubes too.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for the nitrous if u are looking for a cheap couple hundered
Old 10-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have the money, get a procharger D1SC setup. it's costly since to do it right, you should buy a fully built race transmission, a fuel system upgrade (injectors, pump, lines) and a tune. maybe a little bottom end work (pistons, forged rods, crank, etc...). a very well done procharged setup after all necessary upgrades and a tune will probably run you 10 grand, but you'll probably be laying 500rwhp to the ground i'd say. needless to say, if you live in a small town, you'll be the guy to beat.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
if you have the money, get a procharger D1SC setup. it's costly since to do it right, you should buy a fully built race transmission, a fuel system upgrade (injectors, pump, lines) and a tune. maybe a little bottom end work (pistons, forged rods, crank, etc...). a very well done procharged setup after all necessary upgrades and a tune will probably run you 10 grand, but you'll probably be laying 500rwhp to the ground i'd say. needless to say, if you live in a small town, you'll be the guy to beat.
I agree!
Plus an added bonus is that if you live in a smog **** state like California a supercharger unit won't screw you on emissions and its been known to extend the life of your mill.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Iwreckedmybike04
Are the SVO#30 going to just plug in?

What is the highest rated lbs/hr fuel pump I can put on the car being that its stock?

Along with fuel rails, injectors etc.

My next goal is to upgrade the fuel system.

I wish for it to support up to at least 500-700hp on a regulator.

My uncle builds engines for Petty Enterprizes, and he wont give me any secrets. But he did tell me that the reason my car is so much different from his vette is, His has full exhaust and a fuel system. He also added that chevorlet has limited the fuel system&exhaust in our cars for insurance purpose. It would have two high of a horsepower rating to sell in the category that its in if the fuel/air/exhaust department on our LS1's was sent out to their fullest potential. He told me that from stock, I could bolt-on in just the fuel department alone 400-500hp.

The reason Im asking so many questions is he wont tell me what name brands, type of equipment or anything. He also make's things for his racecar's so he might be thinking about what he could do.

All I know is his corvette Is nice, and superfast. It makes my LS1 look like childs play!! haha

I just wish I could step it up to hang with him at the strip!

again thanks for all your time and help.

Respectfully,
Chris

WHAT!?!? an extra 100-200HP gain from just an upgraded fuel system, and an otherwise stock LS1? Thats a load of crap if I ever heard one. You need to increase the airflow to match the extra fuel. Getting a couple hundred horsepower isn't quite that easy.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bolt on and a few hundered more ponies equals a Procharger from EPP. WWW.EXOTICPERFORMANCEPLUS.COM
Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

AFR heads, 224 cam with a 110 lsa to lower cylinder pressure and a procharger should do the trick at a cost of 8000.00
Old 10-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Teching In

I like the Idea of KooK Headers I was looking at them today actually. $1,000.00 for a set of headers?? WOW!! I guess Im trying to drag race on a poor mans budget! hahahaha Anyway, I think I'll stick with the Fuel system upgrade, headers and exhaust that I already have, and Add some drag slicks, a 4:10 gear, cam, stall, and Nitrous. All that superproturbocharging is way to expensive for me!