Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulbs

Ok this sounds stupid... My left front blinker went out yesterday. My bf tried to change the bulb this morning and he said he couldn't get it out.. I thought to myself... "dumbass".. I just tried it and I can't get it out to save my life... So I pulled out my owners manual and it says to unscrew the lens from the outside of the car.. Well that's great.. My car doesn't have screws on the outside. The bulb is supposed to twist and pull out.. All it does is move back and forth... I can't get it to pull out... HELP ME....I feel like an idiot..
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The housing may have melted. Use a pair of visegrips to pull it out, the bulb may break in the process though and don't forget to use bulb grease for the new bulb.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

On the firebird there is a square panel underneath u can unscrew...that is how I get to my turn signals...then just turn and pull lightly...i hope this helps..i know u have a camaro..maybe it is similar.g'luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I did notice that some parts were broken and just hangin around.. Plus the fog light on that side keeps burning out.. I wonder if it has melted.. Thanks guys..
Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
On the firebird there is a square panel underneath u can unscrew...that is how I get to my turn signals...then just turn and pull lightly...i hope this helps..i know u have a camaro..maybe it is similar.g'luck.
It is similar but the space to turn the bulb out is too small, it's actually easier to get it from the top. I've had my adventures with these bulbs already and all because I didn't put bulb grease on Now no more issues, just melted housings
Old 10-17-2006, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro Girl
I did notice that some parts were broken and just hangin around.. Plus the fog light on that side keeps burning out.. I wonder if it has melted.. Thanks guys..
I haven't had any issues with the fog bulbs on this car but I believe that it's a halogen bulb. Don't touch it with your fingers as that will burn them out quicker.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

yeah...check the connection, and use some DILECTIC [?] grease[white stuff] and that keeps the water out of the housings....I will have to change my t.signal housings eventually.....these cars are not even easy to change darn bulbs.... ... ..........
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
On The Tree

Well it's gonna have to wait until later. I don't know if my b/f has an bulb grease... Course I could always walk across the parking lot of my complex to the work at home mechanic. But I don't want to...
Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

On my old camaro (LT1 style) it was difficult to get out. I was like "Ima go change this bulb, take ten min". Reached in there to twist and got nothing. Just keep at it, talk dirty to it and pull.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yet another reason to change your blinker fluid regularly...
Old 10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Take the headlite out on that side. I believe It has 2 bolts holding it in the it kinda slips sideways and comes rite out. Then your turn/running lite is in plain view. Beats the hell out of scraping all your skin off going thru the bottom trap door feeling for what you can't see.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Just becareful when you put the headlight back in as to not scratch the paint on the front facia.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I was gonna do that today. I was trying to get to the light without having to remove the headlight. Guess it wont happen that way. I already need a new lense for the other headlight (looks like it was in an accident. that way when I bought the car). Plus I need a paint job anyways. Stupid people keep opening there car doors into my car. There's actually even a hole (that was not there when I bought it) where it looks like something slammed a key or something into my fender. Some jerk leaned on my car, I found the butt print, and now's theres a long stream of white paint down my drivers door. I'm ready to get velvet ropes and poles to set up around my car just so people stay away from it. I even watch people walk past it and some stop and put there face right up against my window and stare at the inside. It's funny to watch them jump when I hit the alarm.. LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Ok.. Just tried to change the bulb again.. No luck.. I couldn't get the headlight houseing out. I could on the other side of the car but couldn't on the left... It wouldn't budge. Looks like I'm gonna have to go from underneath my car. I tried to use vicegrips to pull it out but that didn't work either.. So either I'm going to have to do it the hard way which will probably end up being the easy way or go to the mechanic by me and ask him for help. Which he'll probably charge me for it. Now I see why my dad said that I would have to get a second job to just fix my car. Because simple things aren't so simple...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Use the visegrips but break the bulb, it will come out that way. The headlight probably didn't come out because of that long screw that sometimes gets caught in the bracket.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

I tried to break it. There isn't a whole lot of room to really do anything. I can only get the plug to twist it wont come out no matter how hard I pull or anything. I'm probably being to cautious cause I don't want to break anything else. I need more muscle.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Finally got it.. Had to use a prybar to get the bulb out...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Finally got it.. Had to use a prybar to get the bulb out...
Dang.. a prybar? must have been in there pretty good. I am pretty experienced with changing these lol.., i have changed both sides of mine several times. They keep burning out and melting the sockets so i have to rewire them also... i think the lenses are cracked and moisture is just getting in there and burning messing them up.. oh well a set of clear corners should fix that.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like this..the girl who makes fun of a guy because he didn't know what type of engine came in a camaro can't even replace a bulb.

If your talking about the blinker, i went through the hole in the bottom. You unlatch it to repalce the fog light bulbs. I jsut reached up...turned and pushed the bulb up. When/if you get it out...MAKE SURE THAT THE BULB IS SEALED. If it is..moister will get in and pop the bulb. I went through 3(poped each time I turned on the blinker) till i realize it wasn't sealing all the way.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

That's what the grease is for. I made sure to cover the contacts pretty good with it.

Damn a prybar, bet the bulb didn't survive.