New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm glad I don't know the previous owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm glad I don't know the previous owner!

So, I bought my car a few months ago while I was visiting family in florida. It's fully loaded (minus 6-speed), ram-air hood, magnaflow exhaust, lowered, etc. Well, the air filter was pretty dirty, so I bought a recharge kit for it. Today I finally got around to taking the filter off, and boy, was I upset. Okay, it has a functional ram air hood (top of air box open and seals against the hood when closed. But the last owner also cut out the bottom of the air box. So, both sides of my filter are filthy, covered in bugs, and it's not really doing its job. I have to seal up one of the sides, so let me hear it. Should I put a block-off plate on the top, or the bottom of my air box?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just leave it ? Alot of people have their airboxes cutout like that.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Well my car is the same way and I think its been stated before that ram air is mostly fictional and it is more or less giving you colder air thus more power. The bottom of my box is cut out and I think a lot of other people have done this, not sure what kinds of gains you see out of it if any but I doubt it would decrease performance.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

"The bottom of my box is cut out and I think a lot of other people have done this, not sure what kinds of gains you see out of it if any but I doubt it would decrease performance."

+1 on that, it probably adds a couple HP if anything, and BTW, air only goes through your filter through the bottom, whether its from the ram air or the FRA mod
Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

okay, my bad then. I was just assuming that some air flowed through the top, since it was dirtier and had more bugs stuck to it than the bottom side

I guess I should mention that it's not the stock airbox. It's one that came with the hood, it kind of looks like http://www.ramairhood.com/store/Prod...a98_airbox.jpg that one

Last edited by majeskyb; 10-19-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It just sounds like the FRA (free ram air) mod to me. My suggestion would be to
leave it as is.

As for not knowing who previously owned cars, I intentionally left an 11.50 ET time
slip in the owners manual of my leased '00 Z28 when I turned it in.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

since most of the work is done you might as well add a ram air kit.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by majeskyb
okay, my bad then. I was just assuming that some air flowed through the top, since it was dirtier and had more bugs stuck to it than the bottom side

I guess I should mention that it's not the stock airbox. It's one that came with the hood, it kind of looks like http://www.ramairhood.com/store/Prod...a98_airbox.jpg that one
That filter setup is basically like turing the stock setup upside-down, right? If your filter setup looks like that and the bottom of the box is cut out..... does that mean that your engine is getting unfiltered air? Any pics of how that is attached to the engine?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
That filter setup is basically like turing the stock setup upside-down, right? If your filter setup looks like that and the bottom of the box is cut out..... does that mean that your engine is getting unfiltered air? Any pics of how that is attached to the engine?
Exactly! That's what I was thinking, since the filter sits above the throttle body, it has a direct line to the outside (unfiltered). I'll get some pics of the setup after work and post them, so you can see what I mean
Old 10-20-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how in the heck would the top side of your filter have bugs and dirt in it? air only comes in through the bottom. im kinda confused here...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Okay, hopefully my pictures will clear up some confusion. The first one is of the air box w/ filter, second one is of the underside of my hood where it seals against my airbox, third picture is of the air box minus filter, and fourth picture is at an angle so you can see the throttle body. The filter sits on the top, and then the frame holds it in place. Hence, how the air from underneath is able to bypass the filter and go straight into the engine. The last picture is one I took before I cleaned the air filter, so you can see how dirty it was (touching it would result in a black hand). Also, sorry for the quality of the pictures, I took them with my phone.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...skyb/39306.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...skyb/39307.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...skyb/39309.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...skyb/39310.jpg
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...skyb/36070.JPG

with the fourth picture, imagine the filter laying on top of the box. That's how it's installed. Oh- I know she's dirty; I'm taking a trip for the weekend, and will be cleaning her when I get back
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

ohh i gotcha, i thought you had the stock lower airbox that all LS1s comes with. yea you need to seal off the bottom of that thing bc that unfiltered air is gettin right in the TB and thats not good. if anything hits the little wires in the MAF it'll cause all kinda problems and they arent cheap to replace.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a really goofy looking airbox, I cant imagine it helps you're power at all
Old 10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Luna
Thats a really goofy looking airbox, I cant imagine it helps you're power at all
Yeah, I'm guessing it came with the hood the p.o. bought. It doesn't even look like the filter fits right. Okay, thanks for the input. I'm going to look for a piece of metal or plastic that I can fab up to become a block-off plate
Old 10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm soo frig'n confused!!

On top of the filter is what i don't get! I've moded my WS.6 hood and that that statement just doesn't make any sence to me.

Side note,.... if the TOP of the filter has gotten that dirty then alot of crap has found its way into your motor. Just view it as a sighn cuz technically the bottom of your filter gets so dirty and clogged up that noth'n,.not even a good amount of 02' can get through it. But in your case,..crap got throught. Check out Chocco's SeaFoam write up. Would probably be a good thing for you to look into do'n.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is the goofiest setup i have ever seen!?!?!? i have the bottom of my box cuT out but i also have the tradition style setup with a slp lid.....
Old 10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Tech Resident

i cut out the bottom of my airbox, but i have the conventional lid w/an FTRA. actually, i'm a little confused because i've been running the FTRA for about 2 months now. my filter is still clean and i've lost 1-2 mpg whereas it claims to add 5%-10% fuel economy i don't know what that's all about...

but yea man that's a goofy looking setup for sure.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

jesus christ yall are confusing. thats the air box the LT1 style wS6 T/A's came with. you need to jsut totally ditch that whole airbox style. get a normal LS1 airbox and get a CAI kit like the SSRA and elave that **** behind
Old 10-22-2006, 03:51 AM
On The Tree

I'm not understanding why everyone is so confused... The car has an aftermarket Suncoast Creations hood on it. The hood runs 800 and the filter setup is another 290. Truthfully, if the filter remotely seals against the flat surfaces of the hood, it would probably be a superior setup compared to the FTRA or SSRA etc. Definitely find a new lower air box piece before your engine decides it doesn't want to ingest anymore dirt and run.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Im not confused.
That is what I expected to see based on the descriptions. That engine is getting unfiltered air. That hole cut in the bottom of the airbox needs to be sealed. You might want to cut out the rest of the bottom and make a smooth panel to re-seal it since it has that hump in it, like this:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/images/other/airbox.jpg