New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Vette or Snake Which would you buy?
Vette
78.97%
Cobra
21.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

03/04 Cobra or 01-04 z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the comparison on the Vette and The Cobra? The Cobras just a Mustang with a blower. How about an F-body with blower vs Cobra. They both weigh close and F-body with a blower is far cheaper.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetLethal01
Why the comparison on the Vette and The Cobra? The Cobras just a Mustang with a blower.
Idiot

I guess it's because they cost similar and both have ~400bhp stock.

How about an F-body with blower vs Cobra.
But you would have to buy a modified Fbody as GM didn't make one. Yes it's a comparison but not a great one. To be on equal terms you'd need a built rear end, built engine and built tranny (auto). The Cobra is fine straight out of the box.

They both weigh close and F-body with a blower is far cheaper.
The Fbody is cheaper because it's older. I hate to say this, but go and buy an 03/4 Fbody!!!!

For some people this is enough to make a dicison.

But yay I see what you are saying but evidently the thread starter had ruled out an Fbody else they wouldn't have been looking at a Cobra and a C5 z06 would they.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The person who is in the market has to figure out if they want a Muscle Car or a Sports Car because there is a difference.Almost enough of a difference to say that these cars are like apples and oranges...

You want a car that is more true to the classic idea of a muscle car,get the Cobra.Medium sized car,powerful V8 between the fenders,somewhat of a back seat,not the most aerodynamic design around but sure looks mean...ect...

Not to mention all the smaller but important details like the HUGE aftermarket support for Mustangs from performance parts to appearance,A strong motor set up that is not just your average 281ci found in the GT.Cobras also hold their value really well...

Or:

You can have a car that is much better described as a Sports Car..The Vette.Handles better,great proven power,two seater (you can be VERY selective of who rides with you ),over all the Corvette is more purposely designed to be a performance car.And you can tell.Bad side (depending on your personal financial standing) is that almost everything costs more on a Corvette.You know,the famous "Corvette Tax" added to everything you buy for the car...

Personally I am much more into Mustangs,Camaros,TAs,Challengers,Chevelles,Novas.. ...Muscle Cars.I would choose the Cobra.It would fit the bill more of what I like and would be looking for if I were in the market and had to choose (oh the horror you must be going through... ) between the two.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Idiot

I guess it's because they cost similar and both have ~400bhp stock.

But you would have to buy a modified Fbody as GM didn't make one. Yes it's a comparison but not a great one. To be on equal terms you'd need a built rear end, built engine and built tranny (auto). The Cobra is fine straight out of the box.

The Fbody is cheaper because it's older. I hate to say this, but go and buy an 03/4 Fbody!!!!

For some people this is enough to make a dicison.

But yay I see what you are saying but evidently the thread starter had ruled out an Fbody else they wouldn't have been looking at a Cobra and a C5 z06 would they.
It's a "beating a dead horse" type subject........Some people just can't look passed their own nose.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Syn
On The Tree

I'd pick the Z06. It has looks all over the Cobra and handling is better too. Stock for stock they are almost identical in straight-line. Sure, the Cobra can be made really fast with just basic mods, but I guess you have to ask yourself how modded you're going to get? How fast do you want to be? In the end it's not going to cost MUCH more to get a Z06 to run the same kinds of times as a bolt-on Cobra, and you end up having a better looking, better handling, more respected by the general public, automobile.

Also, I know neither one is a 'rare' car, but Mustangs are about 100 times more common than Corvettes, and to 99% of the population, a Cobra looks the same as a V6 Mustang. When people see a Corvette, whether a Z06 or not, they usually take notice.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
never seen that happening, but I have seen a kb cobra go 11.0. The bolt-on cobra my friends have typically runs high 11's@ 117ish
Same goes for LS1's my friend has a Z28 camaro with lid, headers back, and stall he runs consistent low 12's not many people beleive it though. Its all in the tuning. Its also not stripped down it had a few bottles of sobe and fuze and some graham crackers and his track shoes and a few other misalaneous items. No one at the track ever beleives him, He just tells them their LS1's are under performing.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wat a ridiculous argument. both have amazing stature in the domestic scene. ne1 who sees an 03/04 cobra and knows wat it is knows that its packing a punch with dohc and an sc, plus they actually look much better than most ponnies. and the z06 you know is corvettes top gun and if uve ridden in a corvette wow... its its own experience.
very tough decision, but i gotta agree with wat was said on pg1 depends on wat ur gonna do with it, and ur budget i guess. i tend to b in more awe when i c a cobra, and i dont really like mustangs im a gm guy.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by big reg
There are no differences other than the addition of Competition Orange and Mystichrome as new colors and the change from Zinc Yellow to Screaming Yellow.
04 offers mp3 built in and the drive shaft is set up a little differently, not sure how and the only other difference is 03 has a little compartment on the headliner, 04 doesnt.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Teching In

I'd go with the terminator, I got a buddy with a KB, solid, and slicks and hes running consistent high 9s
Old 11-29-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is the cobra without the supercharger? id go with the vette and then supercharge it. best of both worlds.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

the problem with Mustangs is there are too dang many of them on the road. They are a VERY common car. Yes the Cobra and the Shelby are very nice and very fast, they don't look much different from the V6 and everyone has them. I am of the opinion that Mustangs are really geared toward kids who don't know any better and 16-25 year old females. Nothing wrong with playing to that market, but if I want an American muscle car, I am getting a Vette or Camaro. All mustangs are essentially imports, except the really really old ones.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1MAN
what is the cobra without the supercharger? id go with the vette and then supercharge it. best of both worlds.
You know it's entirely possible to bolt a blower to a 'vette and still be
much slower than a Cobra right?

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
the problem with Mustangs is there are too dang many of them on the road. They are a VERY common car. Yes the Cobra and the Shelby are very nice and very fast, they don't look much different from the V6 and everyone has them. I am of the opinion that Mustangs are really geared toward kids who don't know any better and 16-25 year old females. Nothing wrong with playing to that market, but if I want an American muscle car, I am getting a Vette or Camaro. All mustangs are essentially imports, except the really really old ones.
Pardon my french, but you sir are a ******* idiot.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Just food for thought here.

Had a buddy with complete bolt-on '03 Cobra putting down 480 at the rear wheels. Line locked, and on CCW classics with BFG drag-radials.

Myself, driving a 380rwhp '99 FRC C5, horrible Dunlop p.o.s. tires, 275 width. Only warming of the tires was a quick spin to get the water off from the box.

He ran best of 11.9, I ran best of 12.4. With DR's and a line lock I'd have nailed high 11's easy. As I said, 11.9 was his best of the day. He was running low 12's the rest of the time just as me. I was spinning out of the hole 1st and 2nd uncontrollably. As stated, the tires were absolutely horrible, especially for drag racing. Basically he needed an extra 100rwhp for us to ride side by side.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vettehunting
Just food for thought here.

Had a buddy with complete bolt-on '03 Cobra putting down 480 at the rear wheels. Line locked, and on CCW classics with BFG drag-radials.

Myself, driving a 380rwhp '99 FRC C5, horrible Dunlop p.o.s. tires, 275 width. Only warming of the tires was a quick spin to get the water off from the box.

He ran best of 11.9, I ran best of 12.4. With DR's and a line lock I'd have nailed high 11's easy. As I said, 11.9 was his best of the day. He was running low 12's the rest of the time just as me. I was spinning out of the hole 1st and 2nd uncontrollably. As stated, the tires were absolutely horrible, especially for drag racing. Basically he needed an extra 100rwhp for us to ride side by side.
...and I went 11.29 on nittos with 460rwhp in my Cobra.
So your buddy can't drive. What does that prove?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

no offense, but the one who insists on calling someone an idiot is usually the offending party. While I admit the cobras are nice, I really think the vette is a much nicer car. more refined, better handling, better body (opinion), and just about better everything, but the price. Price is rough, I will admit. The really old mustangs are probably some of my favorite cars ever made (60s). The problem with new mustangs is more than half the parts are made in other contries. They are IMPORT cars. That is fine. Lancers are imports. Eclipses are imports, and I like them both. Mustang tries to sell itself as a domestic car and its not. If you commute more than 10 minutes to work, count the mustangs you see, ALL mustangs. You will find they make up a sizable percentage. If you don't mind run of the mill, that is fine I guess. When I see a vette, I don't wait till I get up next to it, or hear the engine to know if it is a nice, fast car, I just know. Appearances aren't everything granted, but Corvette has done an amazing job of keeping themselves pure as THE American muscle car. You don't buy a Vette because you want a gas efficient, reliable commuter. You buy it because its a VETTE, and it goes very very fast. They are fun cars, and they are very well built cars, but you do PAY for them. Now you can find a cheap *** mustang (V6) for very cheap, and pretend you have a nice car that goes fast.... I can also put performance stickers on my wife's Pontiac Vibe, because that HAS to make it go faster.... right?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

my buddy just called me today and ask the same thing, 0304 snake or 02-04 ZO6?, **** the 01. i told him Zo6, i wonder if i gave him bad advice, ohwell. those Cobras can get sick fast!! and thats what it about.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

I had to make this exact decision back in the spring. Both car have awesome performance out of the box, huge aftermarket support with nearly limitless potential to become an awesome street car. I chose the Vette due (primarily) to the fact that my insurance on a C5 (non zo6) was about half of the insurance rate on the Cobra, pushing the Terminator out of my reachable budget.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Administrator

no offense, but the one who insists on calling someone an idiot is usually the offending party. While I admit the cobras are nice, I really think the vette is a much nicer car. more refined, better handling, better body (opinion), and just about better everything, but the price. Price is rough, I will admit. The really old mustangs are probably some of my favorite cars ever made (60s). The problem with new mustangs is more than half the parts are made in other contries. They are IMPORT cars. That is fine. Lancers are imports. Eclipses are imports, and I like them both. Mustang tries to sell itself as a domestic car and its not. If you commute more than 10 minutes to work, count the mustangs you see, ALL mustangs. You will find they make up a sizable percentage. If you don't mind run of the mill, that is fine I guess. When I see a vette, I don't wait till I get up next to it, or hear the engine to know if it is a nice, fast car, I just know. Appearances aren't everything granted, but Corvette has done an amazing job of keeping themselves pure as THE American muscle car. You don't buy a Vette because you want a gas efficient, reliable commuter. You buy it because its a VETTE, and it goes very very fast. They are fun cars, and they are very well built cars, but you do PAY for them. Now you can find a cheap *** mustang (V6) for very cheap, and pretend you have a nice car that goes fast.... I can also put performance stickers on my wife's Pontiac Vibe, because that HAS to make it go faster.... right?
I stand by my previous statement. I work for a major automotive supplier
to the OEMs. I'm fully aware of product sourcing. Are you? It sure
doesn't sound like it to me.

Ok, this may sound like the most ignorant question in the world... but that's because, I am new to working on cars (never have, and still haven't, but thats why I bought a camaro) and well,,,, I am ignorant. I am sorry if I sound like an ignorant tool....
At least we're in agreement.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
I stand by my previous statement. I work for a major automotive supplier
to the OEMs. I'm fully aware of product sourcing. Are you? It sure
doesn't sound like it to me.
Tell me about, lol

My Camaro has uses some of the same switch gear/dash warning lights as my Mum's supposidly British Vauxhall Frontera.

Guess the Fbody is 100% pure American
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Teching In

get the cobra!