Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to take care of an ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take care of an ls1?

yes i baby my car. so can you guys give me tips as far as driving?
so far ive heard this:
1. once you start your car you should drive atleast 10 minutes/10 miles before you turn her off and before you start her up again you should wait 10 minutes.
2. try not to idle as much as possible.
3. never leave the car running while on [P] (park)
4. when at a stop light stay on {n} ( i also heard that leaving it on [N] is bad.)
thats all ive gathered. what do u guys have to say about this? and if you can add more tips, please do. it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

also: when for example sayn asking directions, waiting for friend to get in car or stopping really quick. is it better to turn it off? leave on park? neutral? or what?
thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 12:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

i don't think any of that is necessary unless your tranny is going out or something...these cars are meant to drive IMO. What i would say as far as taking care of your car is a tranny cooler(if an auto) good oil (German Castrol 0w30) and change it relatively frequently
Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
so far ive heard this:
1. once you start your car you should drive atleast 10 minutes/10 miles before you turn her off and before you start her up again you should wait 10 minutes.
4. when at a stop light stay on {n} ( i also heard that leaving it on [N] is bad.)
Who told you all that crap? I'll address them one by one below:

1. - True, it's not good to run the motor regularly without letting it fully warm up, but once in a while isn't going to hurt anything but the MPG for that tank of gas. There is NO reason AT ALL why you'd need to wait 10 mins before restarting. That's just silly.

2. - Excessive idle time will reduce MPG, but a little idling time here and there isn't gonna hurt anything.

3. - That one is just silly. Totally false, and just plain wrong.

4. - I guess you can pop it into neutral at a stop light if you want. Personally I don't, unless I just did a very hard stop and don't want the brake pads baking on one spot of the rotor.

As for shuting the car off to let someone get in, or to ask for quick directions, that doesn't make sense to me either. That's a lot of extra wear on the starter vs just letting the motor idle for 30-60 seconds.... I'd let it idle.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

its not necessary to turn your car off if you are unless you will be stopped for a minute or two
Old 11-11-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

so far ive heard this:
thats all ive gathered. what do u guys have to say about this? and if you can add more tips, please do. it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

also: when for example sayn asking directions, waiting for friend to get in car or stopping really quick. is it better to turn it off? leave on park? neutral? or what?
thanks

sorry man but everything you just said is just pure **** it is true you should drive your car enough to get it up to operating temp just to make sure to burn off any residual moisture in the oil

an no you shouldn't let it idle for long periods of time basically because its a waste of gas

and as far as never let your car idle in park wtf is it there for? there is absolutely nothing wrong with it

and putting it in neutral at every stopsign no need its pointless 95% of the time

here's some tips... run it! run the **** out of it but dont beat on it there is a fine line

i have seen a lot more problems from a car being babied its whole life than run normally one being cats getting plugged due to not running it hard enough these cars were meant to be run
Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I find those tips unnecassary... my 98 has been run so hard for 160k miles and it runs like the day it was new. Its an engine under the hood, not a baby. Now don't get me wrong, I change my oil regularly, and I do maintenance when needed, but I don't get into my car every day and wonder if she'll make it through the day without some extra wear on the main bearings, I just drive haha. But I'm sure your ls1 is doing extra good with the special attention!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about pulling the car out of the garage and into the driveway to work on it. Is it bad to just start it up, pull it out, and then shut it down? Or should you let it warm up a little before you shut it down? Sometimes I have just pushed the car out because I didn't want to start it for such a short period of time.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ehhh not so much. just always keep an eye on your oil because these motors are known to consume oil. Dont rev it and beat on it while the engine is cold. letting it idle is fine, just i wouldnt do it for really long times, and leaving it in N is leaving the car in D would actually be better. and remember, these cars are emant to be driven...rough. so dont be afraid to beat on it a bit, just keep regular maintence and you can expect many fun times with your car. just waatch out for that 10 bolt rear-end it doesnt like us to good. and if you have the A4 tranny, NEVER do a neutral drop. If you want to launch it just do the brake/gas for a sec and stall it up, then you can jump off that brake and stab the gas.

Hope it helped ya some!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool. thansk for all the insight. one more question. i was in iowa and had an oil change before a trip to california (1800miles). should i wait the 3000 miles to change the oil? or shoulda just done it right after the trip? thanks guys
Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. thansk for all the insight. one more question. i was in iowa and had an oil change before a trip to california (1800miles). should i wait the 3000 miles to change the oil? or shoulda just done it right after the trip? thanks guys
Wait for the 3000 miles
Old 11-11-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Theres nothing that you should have to know about an LS1 that you dont already know about any other car. Change oil every 3000 miles, run premium gas, thats it.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Default trans am

please look up the term trans am.its actualy not good to "baby" a performance car.these cars were designed to haul ***.i wouldnt even have repeated that list of bs.now everyone including me is now a few points lower on our IQ for even reading it.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha ha ha ha!! so look up trans am on the searh engine on here?
Old 11-13-2006, 02:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default WTF are you mental???

so far ive heard this:
thats all ive gathered. what do u guys have to say about this?
It's total crap. And if you're really that worried this style of driving means more wear on the shifter and on the starter motor.

and if you can add more tips, please do.
Maybe get a life???

I mean if it was an ultra rare car, like one of only 5 in the world and was worth around $4,000,000 then yeah. But on a mass produced Fbody?

thanks
GM used components which where proven and tested. There are examples of each having been used no problem for over 200k miles.

So the question should be "does it really matter?"

And I'm not trying to be nasty at all either. But if you won't even let the car idle do you ever use the performance offer by the car??? If not why bother having a V8 muscle car?

As for looking after it, the same applies as apllies to any other car ever made.

Let it warm up before beating on, change fluids/filters regulary. And don't drive it like an ****!

Waxoil is a great under body treatment, it looks smart and will help prevent any rust.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Dude, seriously, WTF? Nothing you think you should be doing is ever going to affect the car one way or the other. Start it, drive it, shut it off.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M29_Formula
Dude, seriously, WTF? Nothing you think you should be doing is ever going to affect the car one way or the other. Start it, drive it, shut it off.
I WANNA KNOW WHO TOLD YOU ALL THAT BULLSHIT!?!?!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

ohh dont drive it in puddles of water ohh and wash it every 20 mins its good for the engine lol
Old 11-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Wow even I now more than that and I'm a chick with my first performance car. If this is your first car ever then I could understand. My SS is my baby too but I drive the **** out of her because that's what she is made for. Just have to take care of them. That's all.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

Every chance you get, do what I am doing in my sig pic. That is how to make your car happy.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

dude. drive your f'in car and quit being such a puss. Good gas, frequent tune ups. you're good to go. the ls1 is made to be ***** to the wall.