New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N/A Mod ls1 vs mod 03/04 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is it so difficult to accept that Terminators are setup much better from the factory? Sure the IRS might make for a tougher launch, but the rears in an F-body aren't worth squat either. The internals of the engine just lend themselves to the addition of boost. Our high compression engines need a whole rotating assembly to catch up, and we still don't have the blower. Sure both cars can be modded, but dollar for dollar, '03 - '04 Cobra's have a head start. $1600 - $2000 gets a set of headers, a tune and a pulley on either one. You might get 30 - 40rwhp for that on an LS1 car, but you're almost guarranteed to get 80 - 100rwph on a Cobra.

Does a Terminator cost more initially? Of course. Is it worth it? That's for the buyer to decide. I bought my LS1 new, and don't think I need a blower to reach my performance goals. I'm comfortable with doing head's, cam and bolt-ons to get the results a bolt-on Cobra would have.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Wow dude... you should really re-think your words.

Honestly... this is crap I would hear from Honda Civic owners. Take the money saved from buying a F Body and put it into a motor/tranny/axels/turbo... haha Come on man. Stay on topic. Once you start modding, it's anyones game.

There is a dude that was on the SVT Site that makes just about 1000whp and street races religiously. Another bought the car, bought a Hellion Turbo setup. Now he runs mid 10s @ 131. Rest of car is bone stock.

The 4.6 Cobra motor n/a isn't a POS. The motor is build for FI!! The Mach 1 is a great motor and similar mods to a LS1 put out similar numbers. Now I said similar... not as much or more. You gotta think within reason and you have to compare apples to apples.

You can't hold a pricetag over the Cobra. The Cobra motor stock vs stock is just better. You can take the stock components and make more power/easier with a much more streetable conclusion for cheaper.

But for a n/a LS1 to hang with a modded Cobra... that's a vague statement. If you mean a bolton Cobra (Pulley, intake, exhaust, tune) you're talking big cam or mediocre heads/cam setup. Bolton cars are trapping in/near 120s.
Seriously....a mach 1 won't come close to a late model ls1 in stock form. Mach 1's make between 275-290 stock (manual tranny) and a ls1 through a m6 can make 315-325.

And obviously the "stock cobra" motor makes more power...CUZ IT IS SUPERCHARGED. Not a level playing field....ford had to mod the car from factory to make it competitive with the GM stuff as of recent years. You could take a root blower and slap it on a stock ls1 at the same boost level that the cobra is stock...and blow the mustang out of the water. Hell....the mustangs are barely dynoing more than a stock 02' LS1...and the same or less than a LS6 stock.

Point is..that they are both fine engines and cars as well....but with the same list of mods...the GM engines will typically/always make more power and probably last as long if not longer.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

346 w/ RHS, AFR, ETP heads and a sweat cam (223/227LSK) and Long Tube Headers and 4.11's w/ posi will spank most Terminator Cobras
Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mike#9
Seriously....a mach 1 won't come close to a late model ls1 in stock form. Mach 1's make between 275-290 stock (manual tranny) and a ls1 through a m6 can make 315-325.

And obviously the "stock cobra" motor makes more power...CUZ IT IS SUPERCHARGED. Not a level playing field....ford had to mod the car from factory to make it competitive with the GM stuff as of recent years. You could take a root blower and slap it on a stock ls1 at the same boost level that the cobra is stock...and blow the mustang out of the water. Hell....the mustangs are barely dynoing more than a stock 02' LS1...and the same or less than a LS6 stock.

Point is..that they are both fine engines and cars as well....but with the same list of mods...the GM engines will typically/always make more power and probably last as long if not longer.
How can a Stock car be "Modded" from factory? Is the Ford GT modded? Or is it downtuned? Making 1000whp on stock fuel and longblock.

Point is... you can't say "If you did this to a LS1 it would be faster" because that's just silly. That's not how they came so therefore the point is negated. I don't care "If they came that way." They didn't come that way so there's no point thinking about it that way. Mod for mod the Cobra will make more power, period. I don't think they "Had" to do anything to make more power then the LS1s... that's just their cup of tea apparently.

Those bottom ends make 500+ whp on their Eaton blowers all the time... you mean to tell me that you REALLY think they couldn't turn that 4.6 into a 5.0 or something and make some extra power? If they really wanted too? I got a secret for ya man... they can buy LSx motors too. They can study them if the LSx motors were really untouchable n/a and then imitate the head design on one of their motors to their own standards.

Mach 1s are bad mamma jammas so stop hating on the 4.6. 30whp isn't a WHOLE lot of whp man... it's definitely a difference but you're making it sound like it's not even comparable.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What a dumb stupid post

Originally Posted by 1997bird
A old friend of mine is a big time Ford MUFFstain boy. He has a 03 Ford Cobra Saleen that has been modified very heavily(will not tell anybody what all he has done to it). His dad has millions of dollars and gives Cody whatever he pretty much wants. Well to the point, he just got his A** handed to him by a 06' Duramax diesel this last weekend not once but three times.
well heavily modified would mean at least 600rwhp and easily up to 800rwhp. You're talking 10's no problem. Don't believe me then take a look at Dan's (Unit213 - Street racing mod - 620rwhp).

so if a Duramax beat him, then it's either DRIVER, so **** all to do with the car. Or that truck is one of the fastest of it's kind and would have also *** whipped a new C6 z06.

Either that or the Cobra simply isn't heavily modified. Get a grip on reality will you and stop posting total crap.

Yes the mustang can make horsepower, they have to.
oh no more of the same crap. I mean what kind of statement is this. Are you implying other cars, Fbody's and Vettes don't need to make HP???

They are overweight
Yeah they weight about the same as a SS or WS6 dumbass

and can't transfer the weight very well.
Quess thats why the Hook like a **** then.

Look at the new GT500 MUFFstain, 480 hp and could only muster a 12.9 quarter.
Wrong numbers in every respect.

The stock C6 'vette' runs a 12.5 quarter with 346 rwhp & 341 rwtq.
****!!!! Not all C6's run that quick plus a C6 is a totally different type of car.

Try getting 4 adults and luggage into a Vette

Superior design doesn't mean you have to have more HP.
ARRRRHHHH more crap
Old 11-21-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Then why can you mod a GT5000(oops a GT500) and not a LS1 in this comparison. Or better yet, why to the different magizine's out there have to mod the Ford Mustangs to keep with everybody else? I live in a town full of Mustang owners(I literally see about 3 out of 5 cars this way) and they still have a hard time with "bolt ons" to keep up with 1957 chevy technology. But boy do they have excuses!! Oh yea, one more thing everybody here has a 10 second ride, just ask them. Farmington, NM
You really are an ignorant uneducated tit!

I'm not even going to bother correcting or explaning anymore to you. Not that's its a difficult concept but its evidently far beyond you.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

4.6 NA is a POS
and I repeat 4.6 NA is a POS

And we will always be able to be BIGGER, and with more power. Try 455 cid from that 4.6 block please. Yeah, that's what I thought, You can close you mouth now.

Read the original post carefuly. It said, and I quote:

455 cid is a LS1, it is a stroker, if you Blue Oval warriors don't know, and on top of that, we can juice it, blow it, blow it twice, juice it and blow it, ... Well you get the picture.

Maybe we should rename the LS1 F-Body to "Mongoose"
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
4.6 NA is a POS
and I repeat 4.6 NA is a POS

And we will always be able to be BIGGER, and with more power. Try 455 cid from that 4.6 block please. Yeah, that's what I thought, You can close you mouth now.

Read the original post carefuly. It said, and I quote:

455 cid is a LS1, it is a stroker, if you Blue Oval warriors don't know, and on top of that, we can juice it, blow it, blow it twice, juice it and blow it, ... Well you get the picture.

Maybe we should rename the LS1 F-Body to "Mongoose"
Is there a name for this world you live in?

He was talking about a mild-bolton Cobra... hahahaha and you bring up a 455 LS1! LMFAO!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Is there a name for this world you live in?

He was talking about a mild-bolton Cobra... hahahaha and you bring up a 455 LS1! LMFAO!!
Planet LSX, one step ahead of planet Cobra
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Planet LSX, one step ahead of planet Cobra
I'm not gonna sit here and say the entire platform of the 4.6 is better then the LSx engines but stock for stock the 4.6 in the 03-04 Cobra has more potential then LS1s.

Now... once the heads come off and all the good stuff. I will go out and say the LSx are the best engines to have. I absolutely love LSx engines. Just unbelievable
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how bout TRMIN8R's car. ms3, bolt ons, + 200 shot= ownage on all cobras!! damn i love that vid.. oh yeah that was on a stock bottom end too right!!
oh yeah i forgot, N/A LS1!! my bad!
Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, that is not fair man, come on spray Vs Supercharged

This can go on forever, but I would take a forged LSx with an Intercooled Centrifugal over the Ford motor anytime.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

they are completely stupid comparisons

you can pick up an LS1 car for 5-15,000 and then mod the hell out of it and still have much less money in it than someone who spent 20-25,000 for a Cobra

plus LS1 is N/A and the 4.6 is Supercharged

GM can make whatever motor they want and it be better than Ford. GM made the 32 valve DOHC V8 before Ford. the GM motor is better. GM even makes a 32 valve DOHC 4.4 L Supercharged motor that makes more than the 4.6s found in 03-04 Cobras. The new Cobras go into a territory of Corvette and even Z06 territory.. where in that range they get their ******** stomped in. Buy a vette for 50,000 and put a 2,000 nitrous system on it and wipe the floor with the one GT500 you will ever see.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
You really are an ignorant uneducated tit!

I'm not even going to bother correcting or explaning anymore to you. Not that's its a difficult concept but its evidently far beyond you.
Well lets see here I went to college to become a mechanical engineer. So you would think that I am educated. Sorry, England has far smarter people than those in the USA. Lets see you probably don't see that many American designed cars, I do every day. Lets also see here that Duramax truck I was telling you about runs a 11.50 index class, at a altitude of 5200 ft. Where they were racing the altitude is about 6800 ft elevation (yes altitude does affect boosted vehicles too). I hope you make it out of the classroom and into the real world.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Let us not start the "old independence war " again shall we

I do not think our English colleage knows that Duramax trucks can push in excess of 800 rwhp with T-Diesels. I like those Banks kits
Old 11-21-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

[QUOTE=300bhp/ton]

Yeah they weight about the same as a SS or WS6 dumbass

Quess thats why the Hook like a **** then.

Wrong numbers in every respect.

****!!!! Not all C6's run that quick plus a C6 is a totally different type of car.

Try getting 4 adults and luggage into a Vette [QUOTE]

You obviously don't know what weight transfer means so I will open the classroom up. Weight transfer is how well the car is able to apply the weight of the car over to the rearend, so that it pushes the car forward. As for the Corvette, lets see here, look at all of your major magizines and you will see that they are posting about the same times (within 2 tenth's of each other). That is useing professional drivers the same as those driving the GT500. As for number's, I have another example for you, it involves a stock 03' Cobra at 5200 ft of elevation. On the track my freinds dad was only able to muster a 13.9 second pass on street tires. Same track two days ago another freind with a 00' Camaro convertable with long tube headers and a catback exhaust just ran a 14.03 on street tires. Before you start telling me the Mustang driver doesn't know what he is doing. I will explain to you that he has been drag racing for over 30 years. And not with some slow beater with a heater. But with a 2500 horse big block Chevy in a very light vehicle. So please feel free to tell me the "wrong numbers in every way". Getting four people into a vette is hard to do, but can be done with CREATIVE THINKING. The vette is a SPORTS CAR, you don't have four people in there when you go racing any way. Don't try to make the Mustang something that it is NOT.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

People cant accept that the 03-04 are better built than F-Body or Zeta line LS1 powered cars. Corvette kicks *** cause its a hole different beast. GM can sell the Vette for alot less than more other car in its class cause the engine is cheap compared to other exotic engines. Look I love my Camaro and I love cars and engines and the quest for more power. Gen3, Gen4 are cheap engines but they kick *** cause they are a aluminum small block with 15 degree heads with big displacment and thay have Mulipoint EFI. Just stop hating, you guys are making fools out of your selfs. This is so off topic. Get after market heads (Not Stock Ported like Patriot) a good cam, long tube headers, 4.11(12 bolt for reliablty) and you will have a very fast, natrual assperated 5.7L LS1. I like RHS head and 223-230(223/227LSK is good) duration cam and QTP headers
Old 11-21-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

A old friend of mine is a big time Ford MUFFstain boy. He has a 03 Ford Cobra Saleen that has been modified very heavily(will not tell anybody what all he has done to it). His dad has millions of dollars and gives Cody whatever he pretty much wants. Well to the point, he just got his A** handed to him by a 06' Duramax diesel this last weekend not once but three times. Yes the mustang can make horsepower, they have to. They are overweight and can't transfer the weight very well. Look at the new GT500 MUFFstain, 480 hp and could only muster a 12.9 quarter. The stock C6 'vette' runs a 12.5 quarter with 346 rwhp & 341 rwtq. Superior design doesn't mean you have to have more HP.
The GT500 is into the 9's now...And no that's not heavily modded.

From the factory, the undoubtable winner is the Cobra. A forged motor with a supercharger is always going to be more capable than an N/A unforged motor. What's so hard to understand?

When it comes to modding both, the Cobra also wins. You can throw on a used kenne bell for 2 grand and be over the 600rwhp and the car will run like it was from the factory.

They're both good cars and if the cobra wasnt forged or blown, the ls1 would dominate it. But, IT IS FORGED AND BLOWN so it obviously wins in stock form.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt2105
The GT500 is into the 9's now...And no that's not heavily modded.

From the factory, the undoubtable winner is the Cobra. A forged motor with a supercharger is always going to be more capable than an N/A unforged motor. What's so hard to understand?

When it comes to modding both, the Cobra also wins. You can throw on a used kenne bell for 2 grand and be over the 600rwhp and the car will run like it was from the factory.

They're both good cars and if the cobra wasnt forged or blown, the ls1 would dominate it. But, IT IS FORGED AND BLOWN so it obviously wins in stock form.
There's a lot of bla bla bla over the past pages, but I do agree with this. My thought is... The GT500 (and older sc 'stangs) were the "top of the line" mustangs. What are the numbers for the C6 Z06 vs the GT500? (f-body cars shouldn't be compared at all..they were already out of production by then)

oh, BTW, I've raced two 03/04 cobras and with my 100 shot, it was almost a dead on run. Can't wait for another one now that I've swapped my rear end. My brother has an '03.. and doesn't know about my N2O set up. Don't think I'll tell him.. just yet. I have to bump it up to the 150 jets. hehehe
Old 11-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Launching!

you guys never look at the numbers that the cobras are doing.. yea they might make 600rwhp with a Kenne bell, BUT on 19-20lbs of BOOST! It takes Half that to make the same power on an LSX motor.. EVEN if the LSX were 4.6 liters it would still come out on top by a good amount. theres no comparison .

The problem is you not seeing many people forge LSX motors and running that kind of boost like the cobras is becuase the cobras come with forged internals stock from the factory.

Quick Reply: N/A Mod ls1 vs mod 03/04 cobra