Sponsored by:

The time has come

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 05:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
He has a family....
Which once again, is no reason to sell an F-body if you still like it.

Let's face it, an '00 Trans Am isn't worth very much compared to a new SRT-8 unless you've got 3500 miles on it. There's just no point in selling a car like that to buy something worth more than twice as much when you could just pick up a good condition used sedan for less than the differeance in price between the two.

Then you've got the family car + a Trans Am, and you've spent the same or less money overall.
Old 01-02-2007 | 06:21 AM
12 Second Club

+1 vote against the new dodge lineup

Working at an oil changing place i get to see the underneath of pretty much every new car out on the road now. And i have yet to see a new dodge be it a hemi equipped charger a 300c etc have either a tranny and / or engine oil leak. Most of them with under 25k miles. Now i know someone is gonna say its because of care and maintanance and mistreating the vehicle. But i highly doubt the **** 60 year olds that drive half of the cars that change there oil every 3000 on the dot are beating on them enough to cause such leaks so early in the vehicles life.

just my .02
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Let's face it, an '00 Trans Am isn't worth very much compared to a new SRT-8 unless you've got 3500 miles on it. There's just no point in selling a car like that to buy something worth more than twice as much when you could just pick up a good condition used sedan for less than the differeance in price between the two.
+2

Don't sell the fbody! Pick up a used accord or camry and be done with it. You'll have a great reliable family sedan and get to keep your sports car. Even insuring both cars would be cheaper than a brand new one. Modding and owning a fbody is priceless you can't beat them.
Old 01-02-2007 | 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are right. I will not sell my Trans Am. I love that damn car. Im now looking around for either an Impala ss or a grand prix gtp.
I started thinkg about what the car is woth to me and what some dealership will offer. I know once they made an offer, I would just laugh at them.

How hard would it to put a baby seat behind the drivers seat......hmmmm

j/k, better start lookin for that second car
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your going to sell the TA I would sooooo go for a new GXP. Its one bad *** family machine. If your going to keep the TA I would go with a used grand prix or something similar.
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
You guys are right. I will not sell my Trans Am. I love that damn car. Im now looking around for either an Impala ss or a grand prix gtp.
I started thinkg about what the car is woth to me and what some dealership will offer. I know once they made an offer, I would just laugh at them.......better start lookin for that second car
Good choice, IMO.

If you want to stick with GM, any H-body or W-body sedan would be a good choice. I'd go with the 3.8L over the 3.1 or 3.4L.

They can usually be had for a very decent price even with low miles. For the money you'll spend, they are pretty nice cars IMO. I've been very happy with my Bonneville. And despite what some of these GM bashers might say about GM quality, that car is still solid and reliable even after 11 years (5 under my ownership). I jump in and drive it 70 miles every day without a thought or worry.

I like my Monte a lot too, but I'm guessing you'll want a 4-door for your second car.
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are nice, but also pricey - especially if you go with the 4WD. If you keep the T/A you can get a FWD turd for the family and still hold your head up high. Just tell everyone that it's your girl's car and carry pics of the T/A with you at all times!
Old 01-02-2007 | 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
These are nice, but also pricey - especially if you go with the 4WD.
So are these. And they are standard 4WD (Well, AWD), and better in EVERY performance characteristic.

But wait, Daimler Chrystler vehicles aren't reliable. That's why no one buys Mercedes Benz's, and GM is leading in sales worldwide
Old 01-02-2007 | 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually like the looks of the jeep better, so you will get no arguments from me. I'm just glad that there are some options now for practical vehicles with *****.
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:28 AM
Teching In

Yea, the srt-8 cherokees look really nice, especially in person. I also really like the dual exhaust out the middle.
Old 01-03-2007 | 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I think the Jeep SRT-8 looks like *** compared to a Trailblazer SS. IMO.

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
But wait, Daimler Chrystler vehicles aren't reliable. That's why no one buys Mercedes Benz's, and GM is leading in sales worldwide
Funny thing is, GM is still in fact the world's #1 automaker in terms of units sold, hence making them the sales leader for now anyway. Toyota hasn't passed them yet (probably later this year), and DMX is not even close.

Now that GM quality rankings are significantly improving each year, I expect that Toyota and GM will be in a close battle for knocking each other from the #1 spot each year for a while.
Old 01-03-2007 | 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Stay GM that's for sure.
Old 01-03-2007 | 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

So are these. And they are standard 4WD (Well, AWD), and better in EVERY performance characteristic.

Let's Compare...
1. The TB SS is Advertised as 12/15MPG.. The Trailblazer is 15/19 RWD or 14/17 AWD.
2. You can tow with the TB SS.. The Jeep you cannot.
3. Huge aftermarket for the LS2.. The Jeep has a locked ECU you cannot tune it whatsoever.
4. TB SS comes in AWD and RWD.. The jeep only comes in AWD
5. TB SS looks amazing in stock form.. The Jeep looks like a bloated POS (Opinion here..).
6. With a Tune the TB SS will keep up or even pass the Jeep.
7. The TB SS starts at $32K.. The Jeep starts at $41K.
8. The TB SS is a GM vehicle.. The Jeep is Daimler Chrysler which is known for major boo boo's with there vehicles.
Old 01-03-2007 | 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Sucky man.
Old 01-03-2007 | 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Camaroz
5. TB SS looks amazing in stock form.. The Jeep looks like a bloated POS (Opinion here..)
I share your opinion on this 100%
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like this guys idea (below) except that my wife had a kid 4 months ago and we got tired of not enough room in our 4 door accord or my xtd cab tacoma and got a durango so we could take trips in comfort and be able to take our dog too. Don't go spend 35k+ on a new rig when you could keep your fun car and just get something else for 15k for an reliable family rig. We now have 5+ rigs in front of our house (a little much for 2 drivers):

05 hemi 4x4 durango (newer wifes family car)
05 yamaha 250 trail bike (street legal)
99 dodge 1/2 ton (my daily driven company work truck)
99 t/a (my fun car)
98 v6 accord 4 door (wifes family car - for sale)
97 4x4 tacoma v6 s/c (hunting rig - likely will be sold have too many rigs)

Originally Posted by lsx24
+2

Don't sell the fbody! Pick up a used accord or camry and be done with it. You'll have a great reliable family sedan and get to keep your sports car. Even insuring both cars would be cheaper than a brand new one. Modding and owning a fbody is priceless you can't beat them.
Old 01-03-2007 | 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I share your opinion on this 100%
I Think many do.

Old 01-03-2007 | 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Did anybody mention a Caddy CTS-V? You can get a new one for around $45k or a used one in the mid $30's.

+1 on the TBSS. My friend has one and it's one of the nicest vehicles to come out of GM in a long time. Very well done. The handling for a SUV is amazing.
Old 01-03-2007 | 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

MY wifes car (Dale Jr. Monte Carlo) sits on the same frame as the GTP although it is a chevy... Great car plus has the supercharger which makes for 260hp... You can add an additional package on either of these cars and you are instantly in the low 12's.. Stock I ran 14.30 on my first run with the car, Although the car's torque provides for massive over steering.
Old 01-03-2007 | 12:31 PM
Launching!

Why do you own two GM car's (i'm guessing you also have a fiero by your user name and pic) but talk nothing but **** about them? If you like Chrysler so much then go by a chrysler.