Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The time has come

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The time has come

It looks like Ill be giving up my car. But it will be for my first child. Im going to be looking for a more family car. The only thing I can justify giving the Trans Am up for is a Charger SRT-8. I would like to go GM, but they havent shown me anything here lately. I figure, go with the srt-8 and have the best of both worlds....a nice family car and the power to satisfy the urge. What do you guys think? Im I headed in the right direction? I love my car and never thought I would get rid of it.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyDan
It looks like Ill be giving up my car. But it will be for my first child. Im going to be looking for a more family car. The only thing I can justify giving the Trans Am up for is a Charger SRT-8. I would like to go GM, but they havent shown me anything here lately. I figure, go with the srt-8 and have the best of both worlds....a nice family car and the power to satisfy the urge. What do you guys think? Im I headed in the right direction? I love my car and never thought I would get rid of it.
what you mean? go for a grand prix GTX. 303hp LS4. i think they're good looking cars, especially in black, plus they're four door. the mileage is rated as 18/27, so it should be decently economical, also. hell, even the GTP is a great car. a supercharged 3800, possibly the best V6 ever made. 260 hp stock, which you know you could add 50 horsepower to with under $1,000 in mods (pulley, CIA, tune), and 19/28 mileage. i say go with the grand prix. stay GM.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think it compares at all. Isnt it fwd?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Tech Resident

I dont think it compares at all. Isnt it fwd?
grand prix's? yea, i believe so, but you're looking for a family car, right? fwd should be more appealing to you as it will handle better in the rain and snow. yea, it cuts down on the performance aspect of the car, but if you're buying a family car, chances are the car is going to remain close to stock. buying a 4 door family car usually means you're not gonna throw on heads/cam/headers/loud exhaust...it defeats the purpose of a family car, so you may as well keep what you have. if you're going to have kids in the car, the car should remain quiet, provide you with decent fuel economy and be safe in all weather conditions.

this is where the big advantage of the GTP comes into play. you can throw on a pulley and a CIA, get it tuned and it'll still drive and act like a stock car, you'll just gain 50+ horsepower. IMO, if you truly want a family car, fwd is the way to go since it's safer in the weather.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

whay would i want to keep it quiet? with my car the way it is now, it puts my fiance's little girl to sleep. Im not tryin to argue with you. Just dont see the gxp anywhere near the srt8
Old 12-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Tech Resident

whay would i want to keep it quiet? with my car the way it is now, it puts my fiance's little girl to sleep. Im not tryin to argue with you. Just dont see the gxp anywhere near the srt8
performance wise? factor in that the GXP is several hundred pounds lighter than the SRT8 and it is.

it's a GM car vs. a dodge car. the grand prix is definitely a better car, i'd be willing to bet a lot of money on that. IMO it's a much nicer car and serves the purpose of a family car much better. the interior is nice and comfortable, the exterior is unoffensive unlike the gaudy SRT-8's...test drive them i say. the SRT-8 is a low 14 second car, remember. so is the GXP. they will both run similar times at the track. the question is, what's better? a GM car or a dodge car? a fwd car or a rwd car for the family? personally, i think the edge goes to the grand prix by leaps and bounds. that's my opinion. it sounds like to me that you really want this SRT-8, so don't let me sway you. i just urge you to test drive them both. the worst thing you can do is go buy the dodge and regret not going with GM.

personally, i wouldn't be selling your car
Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

beleive me, ive been looking and will continue to look at the gxp. i know its a great car, but i like the rwd and of course the 6.1l. Im hoping you guys try to sway decision, thats why im asking. thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Resident

beleive me, ive been looking and will continue to look at the gxp. i know its a great car, but i like the rwd and of course the 6.1l. Im hoping you guys try to sway decision, thats why im asking. thanks
well, in that case, how important is 4 doors to you? why not get a GTO? they're falling in price pretty rapidly as they're not being made anymore. you can pick them up relatively cheap if you look hard enough. while it's 2-door, they have a roomy backseat. it's like a freakin' mansion in comparison to the f-body's backseat

don't get so caught up in the 6.1L aspect of the dodge. no matter how big the displacement is, in the end, it's still a dodge. when was the last time dodge put out something in the lines of affordable performance? they've been clinging to the viper for years, and that's hardly an affordable car that sells well.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

a high performance sedan for 38k. thats not to bad. it got a very aggresive look. its a beatifull. i dont know what else to say. i dont think gm can compare
Old 12-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you dan the srt line all look very aggresive and have good performance I would go with the srt-8 no if's and's or but's about it, just what I think.

Last edited by WannaBcamaroguy; 12-16-2006 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know where you've been pricing vehicles, but i'm pretty sure the Pontiac is dirt compared to the SRT's pricetag ! ! ! Man i need your money, i had to find my F-boody for a steal before the wife woudl even let me get it. Oh well, Either way you're getting a great car, and the old Supercharged GTP's were quite impressive with little to no investment to make them that way. Just wanted to show them the proper love.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say you go with the SRT-8
Old 12-16-2006, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 594 Likes on 471 Posts

The Charger is by far one of the ugliest pieces of **** to ever have came out of Detriot. To slap the Charger nameplate on THAT hunk of crap... well, I'd like some of what they've been smoking. Unfortunately you can't wait a couple years when Pontiac is going ALL rear drive. I'll drive GM for life and certain Fords, but I will NEVER desire a Chrysler product.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

This threads a couple days old, but i'll give my input.

I would go with the SRT8. Not only cause i have one, but for the same reason you listed in your first post. GM hasn't shown me (personally) anything to be excited about. I've been a GM guy all my life and this 300C SRT8 is my first Non-Chevy. I couldn't be more happy. Great power, Lots of room inside, big trunk, so many options. Plus the performance aspects that GM doesn't even offer on their "performance cars" like Brembo brakes, slotted rotors, bolstered seats, ect. If GM would have offered a higher HP car, with 4 doors and rear wheel drive with a unique look i'd have bought it probably.

Just as an idea of performance against your current vehicle. Just yesterday i got into a quarrel with a 2000 WS6 with a tune and slp lid. from about 60 to 150 i put a car and a half on him. He was a cool guy and couldn't believe that he got beat by a sedan. Said he was expecting to look over and see a baby seat in the back before the race.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt...-srt8-3-a.html

Good luck with your purchase.
Justin

edit, If you want some more info about the SRT cars or even the LX cars in general check us out over on LXForums.com or SRTOC.com

Last edited by EXTREME; 01-01-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by EXTREME
This threads a couple days old, but i'll give my input.

I would go with the SRT8. Not only cause i have one, but for the same reason you listed in your first post. GM hasn't shown me (personally) anything to be excited about. I've been a GM guy all my life and this 300C SRT8 is my first Non-Chevy. I couldn't be more happy. Great power, Lots of room inside, big trunk, so many options. Plus the performance aspects that GM doesn't even offer on their "performance cars" like Brembo brakes, slotted rotors, bolstered seats, ect. If GM would have offered a higher HP car, with 4 doors and rear wheel drive with a unique look i'd have bought it probably.

Just as an idea of performance against your current vehicle. Just yesterday i got into a quarrel with a 2000 WS6 with a tune and slp lid. from about 60 to 150 i put a car and a half on him. He was a cool guy and couldn't believe that he got beat by a sedan. Said he was expecting to look over and see a baby seat in the back before the race.

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/srt...-srt8-3-a.html

Good luck with your purchase.
Justin

edit, If you want some more info about the SRT cars or even the LX cars in general check us out over on LXForums.com or SRTOC.com
I agree. I had a very similar run with a WS6. About 60 to 120. Got him by a car. These SRT8's are perfect for what they are. I have two carseats and a stroller in my Magnum SRT8. Couldn't be happier. Well.......another 100 horses would be nice. Go get that SRT8. There are still some 06's out there for a killer deal too. Keep us posted!
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Why give up your car just because you're going to have a family? Plenty of family guys have these types of cars, I know quite a few myself. If you want to sell it that's fine, but using the family thing in this case just doesn't make sense to me. Here's why:

You've got a 2000 Trans Am, which is worth less than half of a new Charger SRT-8, yet the Charger is obviously an affordable option for you otherwise you wouldn't be considering it.....So either you can afford to pay cash to make up the price difference between the two cars, or you can afford the payment. This means financially you have other options.... Keep the Trans Am and buy a second car for "family" duties. This is what many people do. Find a nice used Grand Prix, Bonneville, Regal (all were avaliable with the supercharged 3.8L if you desire) for around $10K and buy it in addition to your current T/A. In the end, you will have spent no more money (possibily less) than the difference you would have paid to move from the Trans Am to a new SRT-8 anyway.

That's what I would do. You said you love the car, so keep it.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
a supercharged 3800, possibly the best V6 ever made.
Ummm....Wow....Just, wow....

If you can find one condition on which this is the best V6 ever made, I'll be shocked. It's really heavy, completely underpowered for its size and power adder, inefficient, sounds awful, naturally very unbalanced, weak internals, HORRIFICALLY bad cylinder heads, and was designed poorly.

Best V6 my ***. I can't think of a car company that doesn't have a better V6. Nissan's versitle 3.5l, Honda/Acuras succesful 3.2, GM's...well, every other GM V6, Ford's Duratec motors, and the list goes on. There's a reason there are only like 2 GM vehicles still using the 3.8.

I'd vote on the SRT8. There's a reason Dodge isn't on the verge on bankrupcy, and it isn't because they build inferior cars like your ignorant mind would like to believe.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Best V6 my ***.
A 3.8L Series II V6 will run forever in stock form, even with less than perfect maintenance. I've never modded one so I can't comment there. I also can't speak on the L67 blower version, but the L36 NA version is a fantasic motor for reliability. Not a powerhouse by any means, but it's a damn sturdy engine. I've owned 2 now, one for the last 5+ years and it's been great.

I'd be willing to bet that there are more 3.8L GM V6 motors on the road than any other V6 motor in the country. They last for a LONG time.

I will take my GM 3.8L V6 over any V6 that is offered by Nissan, Honda, or Toyota.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
Ummm....Wow....Just, wow....

If you can find one condition on which this is the best V6 ever made, I'll be shocked. It's really heavy, completely underpowered for its size and power adder, inefficient, sounds awful, naturally very unbalanced, weak internals, HORRIFICALLY bad cylinder heads, and was designed poorly.

Best V6 my ***. I can't think of a car company that doesn't have a better V6. Nissan's versitle 3.5l, Honda/Acuras succesful 3.2, GM's...well, every other GM V6, Ford's Duratec motors, and the list goes on. There's a reason there are only like 2 GM vehicles still using the 3.8.

I'd vote on the SRT8. There's a reason Dodge isn't on the verge on bankrupcy, and it isn't because they build inferior cars like your ignorant mind would like to believe.
haha, you have no idea what you're talking about. the GM 3800 V6 is regarded as one of the best V6 engines ever made. the power is decent and they go over 200,000 miles all the time. hey, ignorance is bliss, right?

RPM WS6 covered it pretty well. it's a damn reliable engine, one of the best ever made.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Power is decent? It makes barely 50hp/L!