Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrow band ? wide band?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Narrow band ? wide band?

Just wanted to know the difference i thought that one gave an exact readout digitally and the other told you if you are rich optimal or lean. just found out that im wrong help me out guys!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

The short of it, narrow-band is only accurate very close to 14.7:1 A/F, therefore its signal is "digital-like", your either rich (<14.7) right on(=14.7) or lean (>14.7) the O2 sensor can't read accuratly how rich or lean you are. Wide-band is accurate through a large range, so its signal is more "analoge-like", it will tell you if your lean or rich and by how much. You can compare a narrow-band to an shift light, it will only tell you your past the redline, and a wide-band is more like a tachometer, it will tell you if your over the redline and by how much
Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BirdsOnly
The short of it, narrow-band is only accurate very close to 14.7:1 A/F, therefore its signal is "digital-like", your either rich (<14.7) right on(=14.7) or lean (>14.7) the O2 sensor can't read accuratly how rich or lean you are. Wide-band is accurate through a large range, so its signal is more "analoge-like", it will tell you if your lean or rich and by how much. You can compare a narrow-band to an shift light, it will only tell you your past the redline, and a wide-band is more like a tachometer, it will tell you if your over the redline and by how much
Old 01-26-2007, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Why ? I didnt think I was way off??
Old 01-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BirdsOnly
Why ? I didnt think I was way off??
That sign/icon is a *good* thing, it means "werd", or the slang "Word",

like good, great, right on, exactly, good point, just what I would say, correct, nicely put, etc.

This is the second time this has happened today! Doesn't anyone read the icon?!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Holy ****, I have been on here for a while and my dumbass was seeing and reading weird!!LOL Now things are starting to make sense!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Widebands are much more accurate giving you an accurate reading all all throttle levels (idle to WOT). Widebands also work in both open and closed loop...if I remember right open loop is approx from 0 to 70% throttle where the ecu is constantly reading & adjusting very quickly (within 20% of stock settings) your o2 sensors keeping your a/f ratio at approx 14.7 to 1 for max fuel economy. At 70% to 100% throttle the ecu goes into closed loop where the amount of fuel is predetermined by the stock programming to approx (13 to 1 for max power) and not adjusted by the front o2 sensors.

The narrow band can only give a semi accurate reading at 70%+ throttle as it will bounce back and forth from rich to lean many times per second in open loop. The wideband sensor will give a good semi-stable reading at all throttle positions & rpms.

Clear as mud right....?

To sum it up the wideband is the only realiable way to really see what a/f you are running at. You are pushing your luck tuning from a narrow band or an egt gauge. I have done both the narrow band & egt tuning and I was lucky...be smart and buy a wideband unless your motor is worth less than a $300 wideband.