New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will i need to upgrade from a 10bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will i need to upgrade from a 10bolt?

im going to get a 12 bolt or a mouser 9" sooner or later, but im just wondering how safe my 10 bolt is now? mods in SIG, but what i want to know is it safe to launch that with street tires and drag radials, one or the other? buddy adam who has a procharged hawk said i might be ok if i put micky thompsons on there. what do yall think? also, what if i sprayed, like the zex n20 kit, the kind that is connected to your throttle, so that it would only activated when the hammer was down? should still be ok as long as i shifted not hard? like into second? thanks guys!!! hope that wasnt to dum of a question, but ide rather ask and learn than to break and learn
Old 02-06-2007, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

nay, ur fine for now. When you start modding internal engine parts (not so much bolt on), then you need to consider it very closely. I've got a 12 Bolt fund for when mine does go out.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Launching!

good deal, thanks man. im actualy suprised some1 responded so early in the morning. im working a midnight shift, then have to be here at 2. the guy who was supose to releave me called in sick so i have to wait till 7-8 pm for my sgt. to get here..bummer!!! but that info made my day
Old 02-06-2007, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it's 5:27am here, my wife's asleep and I'm doing some "School Work" cuz I've got class tomorrow night. Seems I can only get schoolwork done when the house is literally silent.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Launching!

yea i understand..im taking criminal justice and doing security where i go to school, it goes towards my internship...but i have all online classes and it seems the only time i can get my hw done is when i work midnight shifts...and sense the full time midnight left to do underwater construction in cancoon/cazumel mexico for 60k a year, i get stuck with it...not so bad tho..this time next year, school will be done and i will be in a academy
Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

How horrible for you!!!

I'm trying to finish out my Master's in Aeronautical Science. Just think, you make more money than me and I'm ---> <--- to my Masters (graduate in October).

That's why I tell myself that my education is for "me" and not to further my career or salary...
Old 02-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Launching!

damn strait! good luck with that. and over here, it got down to 9 degrees...if any1 is dumb enough to come out and steal something...go ahead..its nucking futs how cold it is tonight..you see some funny stuff on midnight...like..kids tryn to have sex in the back of a green focus...but then i shine my 1000000 candle litle flashlite at them and ask whats going on? lol..kids...
well, its 737, just got home. supose to be off at 6am...so, im goin to bed..got to be back at work in a few hours. thanks for the help! let me know how school goes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to get you two off topic, but i would be concerned about the slicks at the track. people have proken their 10 bolt being completly stock with just suspension and running slicks. you should be fine for the streets and the track on DRs, just dont dump the clutch at 6,000 rpm. if you roll into it you should be fine. what size shot are you going to be running? if you spray out of the hole, your going to spin your tires. a lot of guys break there 10 bolt on the 2-3 shift, especialy running nitrous cause thats where people start to hook. get some better rear suspension(which will help wheel hop) and that should cut down your times and help prolong your rear end. if nothing else, have a tow trucks phone number with you. good luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would not use slicks,or spray on a 10 bolt. I would stick with street tires, you dont' want to break something big.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Launching!

yea, i would only use DR. if i was to spray, only a 125, that only activated when the pedal was all the way open, i figured that would help. i def dont want to break it, thats for sure!! so probably a no go?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Are you on a stock clutch? If so its not going to last long, especially if your spraying.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 607 Likes on 480 Posts

I broke my rear 3 times with drag radials, 4.10's, a lid and a catback. I'm going to have fun keeping it together once I do heads/cam. Hard to come up with 3K for a damn rearend and driveshaft.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Launching!

yea stock clutch with 63k on it...its going to be replaced soon, i want an ls7...so if i used n20, its going to have to be for street application for now..maybe already racing from a roll? i can always make it a 75 shot...i dunno
Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIC FUQR
yea stock clutch with 63k on it...its going to be replaced soon, i want an ls7...so if i used n20, its going to have to be for street application for now..maybe already racing from a roll? i can always make it a 75 shot...i dunno
Damn 63K miles? Does it slip at all? With bolt ons and 50K miles on my stocker it was toast and I shifted very conservatively (most of the time anyways). It might last a little while with the spray but im not sure how long, especially if you shift hard. Plus if you have a sticky tire your 10-bolt is on borrowed time. I had the ls7 clutch/ls2 flywheel combo in my cammed z28 and it was awesome. Felt like stock but had amazing gripping power and easily help the power I was making. Def a good setup for a street car.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Launching!

yea, 63k. im sure sure if its the same cluth though, i bought it from a dealership....but we discovered putting my headers on, that he already had headers on it adn whatnot...im have to check service records..thanks though
Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

A friend of mine uses a 150shot, but doesn't start spraying until under WOT at 3500rpms. He has a full bolt-on, tuned car with stock rear.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Launching!

and thats strip? i have heard some axle just are stronger than others, my buddy david ran 11's on his stock 10 bolt, 1 of his axles ar ein my car now from when i kissed the curb
Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am putting heads and cam in my car this spring. I got a good deal on a girdle for my 10 bolt. Im going to put that on and run it until the rear gives up the ghost. Then look into getting a 12 bolt.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SIC FUQR
yea, i would only use DR. if i was to spray, only a 125, that only activated when the pedal was all the way open, i figured that would help. i def dont want to break it, thats for sure!! so probably a no go?
if you tried spraying it any other way you would blow your motor. spray is meant for WOT use only. thats why all kits come with a WOT switch.

stock gears would be a lot better than 4.10s. as said earlier, you can break your rear with stock power and real sticky tires. get a set of good street tires and a new clutch and have some fun.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Launching!

ok cool. i do have the stocks gears still in it. i will get a new clutch and street tires. any suggestions on the tires? ls7 clutch is about how much? im also guna search that one, just seeing dif prices from dif people that have seen them at dif places!