New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic versus Six-Speed (LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned two manual cars...a 1990 GTA w/ 5-speed and a 1995 Formula w/ 6-speed and now a 2000 Trans Am w/ A4. When I first got my 2k I missed shifting mainly cause I was used to it I think. After a while I love not having to shift everytime and lettin gthe car do the work. The only thing I really miss is like stated before, be able to rev up without shifting into neutral. I do like beable to warm it up with pull the E-brake and releasing it when ready to go. Highway driving is so much nicer with the A4 I danno if I'd go back to a M6. It's all your decision though, you have to drive it not anyone else.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

I've had both. Have the M6 now, the only time i hated it was in heavy traffic on the 405 in the afternoon. UUhhhhhhhh i wanted to kill myself for making the change. Numb foot and leg will do that too you i guess. Well that was only while i was getting used to the damned thing.
Now it's not really that bad. I've never missed a gear while racing the M6, granted i've only had it 3 months, just spun alot getting used to the launch difference between the two. I loved the way my auto launched though, just mash and go. M6 is way more fun though while running in any type of twisties. I'm a gear banger at heart though, always have been.
I will tell you what though, the power the LS1 makes always makes me forget what trans it has, because in the moment i care about nothing else but going fast.
In all honest I still can't decide. I'm a bit biased toward the M6 but i do love both.

Last edited by djsanchez2; 03-25-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

When I got m6 I had never had a DD before that was a stick. Granted I don't live in a big town with lots of traffic but either way I don't think I could ever own an auto again. It's all a personal preference. Its a rush that never gets old, atleast for me.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all ive ever had was autos on my cars. i wanted a 6spd so bad, that when i found my car, i just took it for a ride and bought it the minute i came back. i wish i would have bought i A4. the shifting gets old after awhile and that fricken CAGS is killing me. im hoping my GMM race shifter changes my mind.

My advice, test drive both... A lot!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

my last bird was an A4, I had horror stories with the friggin 4l60e...maybe just me...I blew a rear main seal, some defect with some booster valve I think? behind the valve body was like prone to blocking up, then I heard later the 4l60e valve body just sucked ***....now I own a M6 and its a night and day comparison...not only the fun part but the fact that I can get 24-25MPG on the highway doing 85-90 and only doing 1.8k RPMs....now THATS friggin COOL.

My A4 was fun for the most part, a good starting point on what I wanted in a car. However, my girlfriend could drive that car now...not bashing chicks...but now my girlfriend can't drive my car, and it's just more kick ***

I thought shifting my auto was cool, and it was for the most part, but nothing now beats double clutching into 3rd on the highway screaming past people...which was the limit with my A4. Doing 40mph rolls in my auto ******* SUCKED...now, its a friggin joke.

/rant, figured I'd share my 2 cents, as I use to be "all about my A4" before hand...I didnt want to admit it before, but when I saw another firebird with a stick, I said "sweet, it isnt auto"...hahah then I'd look at mine and be like ****, dlfkjdlkfja;df
Old 03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
I've had both. Have the M6 now, the only time i hated it was in heavy traffic on the 405 in the afternoon. UUhhhhhhhh i wanted to kill myself for making the change. Numb foot and leg will do that too you i guess. Well that was only while i was getting used to the damned thing.
Now it's not really that bad. I've never missed a gear while racing the M6, granted i've only had it 3 months, just spun alot getting used to the launch difference between the two. I loved the way my auto launched though, just mash and go. M6 is way more fun though while running in any type of twisties. I'm a gear banger at heart though, always have been.
I will tell you what though, the power the LS1 makes always makes me forget what trans it has, because in the moment i care about nothing else but going fast.
In all honest I still can't decide. I'm a bit biased toward the M6 but i do love both.

not to hijack, but if thats your camaro in your sig....bro your car's been my laptop wallpaper for like 2 months...hahahaha TOUCHE!
Old 03-25-2007, 10:33 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,282 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by phrozen755
my last bird was an A4, I had horror stories with the friggin 4l60e...maybe just me...I blew a rear main seal, some defect with some booster valve I think? behind the valve body was like prone to blocking up, then I heard later the 4l60e valve body just sucked ***....
4L60E is a good trans. Yours must have been defective. I've owned many 4L60Es, built and stock, and been very happy with them compared to other autos I've owned.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

not only the fun part but the fact that I can get 24-25MPG on the highway doing 85-90 and only doing 1.8k RPMs....now THATS friggin COOL.

lol, exactly, blew my mind the first time I saw it. But the !CAGS is almost totally necessary, i think i might make that the TAs second mod , but rowin gears in either the camaro/TA is IMHO the way to go.....Ive only been in one auto F-Bod which seemed nice, but overall its an easy manual car to drive.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

not to hijack, but if thats your camaro in your sig....bro your car's been my laptop wallpaper for like 2 months...hahahaha TOUCHE!
No bro i wish. Do have a black SS w/ wistler mod though. HAHAHA! This is mine.

Sorry fellas back to the main subject. The CAGS sucked major ***!! Thats why i deleted it the second day i had the M6!! Traction Control is a whole different thing as well. My A4 didn't have it, M6 does. Yes i've made the mistake of trying to launch w/ it on TWICE . To say the least it sucked ***!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Thread has been beaten to death, and asked almost every week.