Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Clear Corners Illegal ??

hello i wanted to buy clear corners for the front of my camaro
but ive been told they are illegal in california for some reason
is that true ??
Old 04-03-2007, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i doubt it, as long as they are DOT approved.....
Old 04-03-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

If you use an amber bulb they're legal
Old 04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

just gotta use the amber bulb
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

No, they are illegal. You must have an amber reflector on the side of your car. This is so that in the dark you see the side of the car even if the lights are off. This is a national law. Most sell them as DOT legal because they throw in a little amber reflector or reflective tape in the box. I can't imagine anyone will pick on you about it, I've never heard of the police giving a ticket for clear corners.

Brian
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
No, they are illegal. You must have an amber reflector on the side of your car. This is so that in the dark you see the side of the car even if the lights are off. This is a national law. Most sell them as DOT legal because they throw in a little amber reflector or reflective tape in the box. I can't imagine anyone will pick on you about it, I've never heard of the police giving a ticket for clear corners.

Brian
you might be right man but i wright state inspections for VA, the state trooper comes around every now and then and makes sure i am doing everything i am supostu. the other day he came to work, there were no cars in the shop so i pulled in mine and inspected it for him, it has clear corners, he looked right at them, and double checked as i did, that they had amber bulbs and passed me. i dont know but wen i took my inspection license class they told me it is legal with amber bulbs but its been a while laws might have changed 00pewterSS might be right
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I always thought that the amber bulb thing held true as well. I had smoked/clear corner headlights with clear bulbs on my GT, and was never harassed so I wouldnt worry about it. I'll be putting clear corners on my SS with clear bulbs, and dont expect much trouble.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In CT, all you need is the amber bulbs to be legal.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

FMVSS108 (federal motor vehicle safety standard) states you must have an amber reflector on each side of the vehicle.

But, I have no idea if some states may not include this standard in their vehicle standards. Meeting this stardard is a requirement for sale of vehicles in the US. So I guess I just added to confusion, cause I assumed that if it was a requirement to sell a vehicle that it would be illegal not to comply, but that may not be true.

Brian
Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You hsouldnt have a problem... Ya CA cops are ******** but they wouldnt stop you for your lights... but Tint or loud muffler they will stop you for. or if your lights are smoked but eh just a fix it ticket
Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, it's illegal as stated in the threads above me. I had clear corners on my Mustang and never had a problem. Unless you put an odd color bulb in there you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS

Brian
What amber side reflector?

There are red reflectors on the rear quarters, but nothing on the front sides of 4th gen Camaros....opposite of the amber fronts and nothing on the rear quarters of 3rd gens.

Calling the wrap to the side of the front DRL's a "side" markers would be pretty generous IMO.

I can't see why clear would present any problem in conjunction with an amber bulb...hell, with DRL they are always on!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Bandit LS1
If you use an amber bulb they're legal
x2 True dat.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anybody ever thought its on a state to state basis?...hmmm
Old 04-05-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing surprises me when it comes to California law.
It's probably illegal to even complain about it.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
What amber side reflector?

There are red reflectors on the rear quarters, but nothing on the front sides of 4th gen Camaros....opposite of the amber fronts and nothing on the rear quarters of 3rd gens.

Calling the wrap to the side of the front DRL's a "side" markers would be pretty generous IMO.

I can't see why clear would present any problem in conjunction with an amber bulb...hell, with DRL they are always on!
Look at the pic in the signature. Front wrap around lights on 4th gen are sufficient for an amber reflector on the side. The amber reflector can be viewed from the side of the vehicle. Rear wrap around reflector tail lights are also sufficient on a 3rd gen. I didn't write the motor vehicle safety standard, I am just restated it. The intent is that your car with the lights off can still be seen from the side because of the reflectors. Amber bulbs DO NOT meet the requirement because it clearly states that you must have an amber reflector AND an amber light viewed from the side. My clear corners came with a 1"x1" amber self adhesive reflector to meet the standard.

You can look up FMVSS108 if you want to read it.

If you still don't believe me go out with a flash light at night and point it at the side of you car. And if you still don't believe me... oh well...

I have to deal with this crap at work. For the parts I am responsible from FMVSS104 (theft deterence) and FMVSS101 (column displacement during a frontal impact) and the standards I am most familiar with.

What I don't know is just because this is a Federal standard for vehicle sale that it is necessarily a law in every state.

Brian
Old 04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

answer to all your problems...move out of cali haha j/k
Old 04-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS king
hello i wanted to buy clear corners for the front of my camaro
but ive been told they are illegal in california for some reason
is that true ??
they are not illegal just
Old 04-05-2007, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Default Well . . .

Here in georgia anything is legal, lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Anything you do in Cali is illegal.. I got pulled over because my lights were blue then I had to pop the hood to show that I have shortys.. and my exhuast was loud SLP Loud Mouth.. plus that I changed the lights under my dash and that was illegal too... man Cali sucks *****... Cops in MILPITAS are over paid pigs... can't wait to become one too!

Quick Reply: Are Clear Corners Illegal ??