New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that being used cars, there is now way to tell if there are mods in favor of the 2000 or simply better maintenance. The 2001/02 cars are generally faster though not always on a case-by-case basis. I'd even say the difference is probably not noticeable to the average person who drives the cars a day apart.

The WS6 has a different exhaust from the factory (hence "sounding" better). The WS6 "performs" better because it has some upgrades in suspension components versus a standard Firebird or TA. Assuming maintenance is equal and there are no mods helping it, accelleration would no better and maybe slightly worse than the 2001/02 cars (irregardless if it's a WS6, Firehawk, TA, or Firebird).

I've learned over the years the "attitude" of a car can do a lot to change your perception of it's performance. Some people interpret a more powerful sounding exhaust and stiffer ride with better performance... even though a quieter softer riding car may edge it out in a side-by-side race on a drag strip.

Sometimes the perception can go far in left field that people will put racing stickers on their Civic, mount a trash can under their rear bumper to amplify the exhaust, and remove the springs from their suspension to mimic a performance car. In extreme cases the owners of these cars become irrational and equate perception of performance with the ability to perform itself. This is why kids in 90hp Honda Civics firmly believe they can run circles around a 350+ hp f-body. Sorry for going off on a tangent... it's been a long day and I figured you may enjoy a laugh!

Glad to hear your Mom got the she likes the best (nice car by the way). The 98-02' f-bodies do not have chips though they can be reprogrammed... same basic idea but different implimentation. Also they are all "restricted" to something like 169 mph (WS6 and SS models anyway). This too can be reprogrammed to a higher limit- something like 255mph which shouldn't get in her way any time soon
Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats pretty funny about civics!!! and true they think their cars can perform miracles!! lol