Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob w/Rear Brake Issue: Need Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob w/Rear Brake Issue: Need Info

Greetings from DFW Texas. I've lurked around on here since back when we first got an 02 Collectors T/A but just now registered.

I'll get to the point @ hand..... My GF was driving the T/A & heard a loud bang as she was pulling out of a parking lot. She went to pull over to see what happened & found there was no brake pedal to speak of.

I got there & looked under the car to find the right rear caliper 'abuttment' (SP?) or cage has broken in pieces which launched the caliper & pads. Obviously this isn't a typical failure or is it?

Any ideas on what could have caused this? It appears there was a stress related crack that finally let go based on the appearance of the casting that I picked up from the roadway.

Are these cages prone to this?? Thanks in advance. . .....
Old 04-28-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lefti
Are these cages prone to this?? Thanks in advance. . .....
First one I've heard of. Take it to a pro shop and have them inspect it. I hope it's a minor issue that doesn't throw you off from F-Bodies. These cars are like caged beasts roaring to be let out.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check all the bolts cause i had my calipers fall off because a a crappy bolt that snapped. Maybe this will help you.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Teching In

The good thing is I'm the only person that has worked on the brakes (since we've been the only owners so far) so that makes checking up on any maint much easier.

After pulling both rear wheels to allow L/R comparisons, the 'cage' bolts were still attached to the backing plate/rear end housing for both sides (I removed these bolts when I swapped in new rotors/pads last August). However, the drivers side caliper has 2 bolts that thread into the 'pins' that retain the caliper..... the broken passanger side assembly did not have these bolts. I tried taking one of the drivers side bolts out but the entire pin just spins & the bolts won't come loose.

I'm not real sure what to think of it. The pass side are completely gone & the drivers side are tight enough I can't get them loose....

I ordered a new 'cage' in & specifically requested the 2 missing bolts. I got the cage but wouldn't you know.... the 2 bolts weren't ordered. Tomorrow I'll pick the bolts up @ another dealership & hopefully have the car back in service.

Thanks for the insight!