New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise when trying to shift????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noise when trying to shift????

Alright you guys...be patient with me, I'm a noob! I bought this 98 T/A real cheap not too long ago (2weeks). Once I bought it, I noticed that normal shifting was a real bitch....grinding, not wanting to go into gear, immpossible to down shift. Sounds like bad synchros....right? Can this condition progress and get worse?
Originally, I could still up shift as long as I matched the RPM's with the gear and took my time.... it would go into gear without making any noise or grinding.
Just yesterday, I rolled into an intersection in neutral. I pressed in the clutch to put it in 1st and heard a weird noise and was unable to put it into any gear. I re-clutched,reved the engine alil bit, the noise went away, and it slipped into gear. This problem happened again shortly after. Once again, after I reclutched and reved, it went away again. Needless to say, I now have the car parked and don't intend on moving it till' I have the tranny yanked and sent to T56 to be bebuilt.
Are these all symptoms of bad syncros?

Maybe unrelated =.....I had the clutch master and slave cylinder replaced the other week. Is the slave cylinder located INSIDE the tranny?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the slave is inside the tranny. make sure the braded stainless master cyl line is not touching the exhaust headers. also bleed the system.