New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding freon in LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007 | 10:44 AM
Launching!

Default adding freon in LS1

I would like to check and add freon in my 2001 SS. I know you use the low side to add. Which port do I use, The normal port that I use on my 95 the 2001 has a sensor there. Do I have to off the sensor?? The only other small port I see is on the accumulator.
Old 06-17-2007 | 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Should be two ports without me running out and looking, you can't screw up though ports are different size. Don't remember which is which as far as low side and high side but yes always add to the low side. If you where to buy the little kit from autozone or whatever it would only fit the right port. Hope that helps.
Old 06-17-2007 | 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I Added my R32 Here.
Old 06-17-2007 | 12:48 PM
Launching!

Default freon

That the one on the accumulator. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2007 | 12:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kraemer94
I would like to check and add freon in my 2001 SS. I know you use the low side to add. Which port do I use, The normal port that I use on my 95 the 2001 has a sensor there. Do I have to off the sensor?? The only other small port I see is on the accumulator.
DO NOT DO THAT! MY FRIEND DID THAT CRACKED HIS BLOCK TOO COLD!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2007 | 12:55 PM
Launching!

Cracked his block? Engine Block? The A/C has no relation to the engine except for the compressor. Something else caused the block to crack.
Old 06-17-2007 | 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StevensBikes27
DO NOT DO THAT! MY FRIEND DID THAT CRACKED HIS BLOCK TOO COLD!!!!!!!!!!
This guy is retarded... read some of his posts, they will give you a good laugh.
Old 06-18-2007 | 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

lmfao damn i gotta watch out for that thanks steven
Old 06-18-2007 | 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04gtoBMXracer
lmfao damn i gotta watch out for that thanks steven
please don't ban "steve" i am having a great time finding his posts through-out the site.
Old 06-18-2007 | 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
please don't ban "steve" i am having a great time finding his posts through-out the site.
Me to haha i love the elise one
Old 06-18-2007 | 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Me to haha i love the elise one

crap i didnt see the elise one... i have to go find
Old 06-18-2007 | 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
crap i didnt see the elise one... i have to go find
Ohh that's the best one by far. Truly a must read.
Old 06-18-2007 | 07:39 PM
Teching In

You can add refrigerant to the low side port if you want however it isn’t the best of ideas. If your low on R-134a (not Freon, Freon is a brand name for the refrigerant R-12, no longer used), it means you have a leak (probably the condenser). You should take it to the dealership and let them add dye into the system, find the leak and repair it, otherwise it will just keep leaking, which by the way is illegal to vent refrigerant, even if it’s an accident, or if you’re "unaware" of the problem. At the dealership they will fix the leak and then charge on the high, yes high side. This is because if you charge on the low side, the refrigerant is in a liquid state and its running straight to your compressor. In that picture several posts above mine, that arrow is pointing to the port on the accumulator. The accumulator’s job is to keep liquid refrigerant from reaching the compressor after 95% of the refrigerant has been evaporated by the evaporator. So as you can imagine, injecting liquid refrigerant into the accumulator, it won’t be able to keep all the liquid from reaching the compressor. Basically it’s like taking a garden hose spraying water into the inlet of your air filter; you may or may not hydro lock your engine while it’s running. You could hydro lock and blow up the piston(s) in your compressor. But that’s the chance you take if you try to go the cheap route. I am ASE certified in HVAC and Refrigerant recovery, recycle and recharge and I have seen completely destroyed compressors before. Anyway, just something for you to consider, good luck with your charge, let us know how it goes.
Old 06-18-2007 | 08:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998SilverZ28
You can add refrigerant to the low side port if you want however it isn’t the best of ideas. If your low on R-134a (not Freon, Freon is a brand name for the refrigerant R-12, no longer used), it means you have a leak (probably the condenser). You should take it to the dealership and let them add dye into the system, find the leak and repair it, otherwise it will just keep leaking, which by the way is illegal to vent refrigerant, even if it’s an accident, or if you’re "unaware" of the problem. At the dealership they will fix the leak and then charge on the high, yes high side. This is because if you charge on the low side, the refrigerant is in a liquid state and its running straight to your compressor. In that picture several posts above mine, that arrow is pointing to the port on the accumulator. The accumulator’s job is to keep liquid refrigerant from reaching the compressor after 95% of the refrigerant has been evaporated by the evaporator. So as you can imagine, injecting liquid refrigerant into the accumulator, it won’t be able to keep all the liquid from reaching the compressor. Basically it’s like taking a garden hose spraying water into the inlet of your air filter; you may or may not hydro lock your engine while it’s running. You could hydro lock and blow up the piston(s) in your compressor. But that’s the chance you take if you try to go the cheap route. I am ASE certified in HVAC and Refrigerant recovery, recycle and recharge and I have seen completely destroyed compressors before. Anyway, just something for you to consider, good luck with your charge, let us know how it goes.
Good info, I said to charge the low side becuase thats just what my boss told me to do at work lol. Maybe he's wrong I guess but yea I was told to always charge on the low.
Old 06-23-2007 | 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that’s strange. I don't doubt you but every thing I ever heard and the instructions on my charge kit said to charge the low side. Maybe the instructions say to charge through the low side to reduce the possibility of a freezer burn accident?
Old 06-23-2007 | 09:31 PM
Launching!

I would think to charge to the low side because the compressor would be taking in refrigerant. It'd be at a lower pressure on the suction side, therefore easier to charge. If you put it in at the highside, the pressure would be greater, therefore taking longer to recharge. *P.S. never done it before*
Old 06-23-2007 | 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Good info, 1998SilverZ28!! Thanks!! Now, how much will a dealer charge for this service? Average # of hours it takes?? Im seriously interested, i need to recharge mine.. my a/c blows at about 80* at the coldest right now and the AC is something i dont want to F%#k with for fear of messing something up.

Old 06-23-2007 | 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

I did it just fine on the low side with a gauge reading of 30psi. If you hold the can right side up you will not put any liquid R134A into the system. I had to turn my can upside down to get enough refrig. in. Just turn it up and down every few second just to be safe. The low port is not near the compressor on these cars and should not liquid lock it, but you never know for sure.

greg
Old 06-24-2007 | 01:15 AM
Teching In

i'll tell you what. if and when you do finally cobble some combination of gauge fittings together to charge through the high side with those store bought 12oz. cans, and the a/c compressor running. than when the pressure hits around 160psi (275-300 being the working pressure on the high side) that little cans going to burst and take your fingers off.

a liquid lock is very, very rare. and then your desicant is probably shot and clogging your system anyway.
the desicant in the accum. is going to freeze and limit the amount of take in charge . thats why it takes so long for the r134 to flow in from the low pressure of those little cans.
a charging station with a heated 30 lb. cylinder is when you start to/may have problems.
charge it through the low side and don't worry about it.

check around your condenser fittings and along the welded seams/edges/cores of the condensor for a oily residue with dirt and crap stuck to it. well known leakage areas. o rings are easy to change but, a condensor can be abit more trifling.

Last edited by raejenls1; 06-24-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2007 | 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

If you start from vacumn it will just go up to the can pressure and not pull any more from the can. All the containers I have had were equipped with a burst-out panel, anyways. Nor can you get the system full enough to make the system work properly if you hook to the high side. Just don't do it.

I mean if it was as simple as holding a can upside or connecting to the wrong side they wouldn't simply wouldn't put the refill cans on the shelf.

When you have one system under vacumn and a can under pressure that refrigerant will expand so fast it will not lock up the compressor. As the system comes up to operating pressures less and less will come out of the can.

I don't do it like that nevertheless. We all know the appox amount to put it. Put that in without the system running and it will equalize. The compressor uses a wobble type arm to compress so it will snap into position as the system fills. Wait a min. Turn it on. Top off.

Also, R134a is not magically evil substance the gov't will arrest you for. It is highly deregulated. I have never had trouble obtaining it. Further, it is not much better for the enviroment than R-12. Dupont might tell you different. You won't understand unless you have played the patent game. Wait a couple more years. I bet there will be another "Dupont miracle" before you all die. Heh.

Quick Reply: adding freon in LS1