Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my rear end going!!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my rear end going!!?

OK all those noises i thought were coming from my brakes, turns out i went to Tuffys and they said there was no oil in the rear end, he says my rear end is shot. It makes a clicking/clunk noisewhen i put it in reverse sounds like the u-joint and makes a constant rubbing loud ALL THE TIME when driving after putting new calipers, rotors, and pads. Question is, how do u really tell if ur rear end is gone, u think tht would be MY problem. Also if it was the rear end, wut would be the best thing to do, by the moser 9 bolt for $1000 or get a rear end out of a junk yard, or rebuild it? Also how hard would it be to do any of these things?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

So surely they put some oil back in it for now right? I really cant imagine it lasting one trip if there was no oil in it. Maybe it was just low and it was getting hot.

As far as aftermarket, do you want a 12 bolt, or a Ford 9inch? ( at the 9 bolt you posted). And they are a little more than $1000. Either kind of overkill for a daily driven car unless your making some good power, but many will disagree with me. 9" are heavier and sap up a little more power than a 12 bolt.

Replacing axles is easy, and relatively cheap, but as far as you putting in the carrier and gears, dont do it. If you dont have alot of cash to drop, just buy a rear end off the board and swap it in.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

so do u really think my rear end would beGOING out? i thought it just GOES out. cuz none of the noises r coming from the rear end, all i kno is tht its a constant noise that sounds like a bad bearing or grinding brakes, any idea wut it could be. How do u kno when ur rear end is going out
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

when it goes out you will KNOW IT, you will here a loud sound from that area then a pop, and then...nothing... thats when minutes later you get over the shock and here the cha ching cha ching in you're mind
Old 06-25-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there are a few things that can happen when your rear goes out. when your posi is giving up you can feel your rear tires lock and release. not fun at high speeds, trust me. if you break your ring/pinion then you will hear very loud clunking and probably not be able to go too much farther depending on damage. my posi unit had a piece of the support, not sure what you would call it, shear off and it got so bad it would lock up at anything over 2k rpms. with an auto i wouldnt waste time on a 9" unless you are pushing quite a bit of power. a 12 bolt would be more appropriate.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But like the shop said if it is low on fluid you could have damaged bearings and the ring and pinion. That would create a noise All the time. I am currently rebuilding a rear in a trailblazer because some other shop never put the fill plug back in after checking the fluid level.