New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Trick Flow Heads, 90/90, MS4 + 125 wet shot OR Procharger around 8lbs of boost
Trick Flow heads, 90/90, MS4 + 125 wet shot nitrous
52.78%
Procharger around 8lbs of boost
47.22%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

heads & cam + 125 shot OR procharger for 02 SS???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forced induction is sweet, but I think you will actually see better results with the H/C and 150 shot...N/A with heads and cam you will probably make, say 470RWHP(Assuming you mill the heads) and 430TQ, you add the 150 shot on there your TQ will go through the roof...You will probably see right around 700TQ...On a stock motor with a charger on there you will be lucky to see those numbers on the N/A setup let alone the TQ that you will see off the juice...My vote is for the H/C...

Kev
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

its just a really BIG decision i love the way a good cam sounds though especially through my qtp's and true duals
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

the clutch has already been replaced with a texatralia and i know the rear is going out next but after i get the heads/cam and nitrous or procharger setup done then im replacing the rear, but ill be lucky if it lasts that long
Old 06-28-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote for the H/C/spray. The Procharger on 8lbs isnt going to touch the H/C/Spray setup power wise.

NOTE TO CHOCO: If he is asking about these two setups i'm sure fuel economy is not very important. BTW, H/C cars get a lot more than 9mpg.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Teching In

cant wait to get my h/c/i set up. there is nothing like the sound of a big cam
Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slowmaro61
cant wait to get my h/c/i set up. there is nothing like the sound of a big cam

+1
Go with a big H/C setup. Nothing better than the sound of a big *** cam rumbling
Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

keep the pole going 285 ppl have looked at this but online like 30 voted come on ppl!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
NOTE TO CHOCO: If he is asking about these two setups i'm sure fuel economy is not very important. BTW, H/C cars get a lot more than 9mpg.
there are bolt-on cars on this website turning 12-13 mpg in heavy city driving. if you think a big H/C package can't see ~9 mpg in bad city traffic...
Old 06-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
i dont know what makes you think the procharger isnt going to lose gas mileage compared to stock as well. every mod is a compromise, no way around it.
as long as you keep the rpms low enough so you don't build boost, you're going to retain very close to stock mileage. in fact, if your tune is very good, you may actually GAIN fuel economy with a supercharger since the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get moving. of course, the minute you put your foot into it, all bets are off - you're going to suck fuel like no tomorrow, but my point is, if you're babying the car, you can retain stock or better fuel economy. if you throw a H/c package into your car, no matter how you drive, fuel economy and driveability suffers.

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
if i had a larger budget, would i go FI? of course i would. but for the money you cannot knock NA applications
i'm assuming money is not an issue. take price out of it and i'd take FI ANY DAY.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

procharger. i was going to be mad if these was some noobs thread lol
Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

no im only 18 and been saving cash for awhile and i cant make up my mind and i just thought id see what everyone else would do... moneys not an issue cause they are similar range in price plus i have connections. ive never driven a forced induction fbody ive driven a h/c fbody though.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

ok now its tied.................
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

you know what you should do, whatever you want....

If you want a badass lope and rumble... get the H/C combo with spray.

If you want a Procharger FI.... go with that... its a pretty even poll, so its pretty much up to you.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
there are bolt-on cars on this website turning 12-13 mpg in heavy city driving. if you think a big H/C package can't see ~9 mpg in bad city traffic...
Yeah, in bad city traffic... ANY car is going to get its worst fuel economy during bad city traffic. You are really reaching there. Its not like every H/C car is going to get 9mpg all the time. Most people are not going to be driving a H/C car in only bad city traffic...

As stated, H/C will make the most power. Thats the way that I'd go, but since you are already have a H/C car, might wanna go FI on this one.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

If cost is no object, I vote neither. Go with a turbo. If you are on a budget, H/C/N will be less money, more power. You can get a H/C set-up to drive pretty nice, but it won't touch a mild blower for street manners. However, my old H/C/N set-up made 576/590 on a little 100shot and still delivered 15-20MPG city and almost 25MPG on long trips. Both are cool, but for this poll, I'd go H/C/N...
Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done both now and I am happier with the procharger for a couple of reasons. First, the N2O delivered so much immediate torque that I spun way too much (even in my second-to-third shift). Secondly, refilling the bottle was a PITA given that the nearest refilling station was 40 minutes away, and did not always have N2O. Finally, I love the sound that the Procharger makes. Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

I say for a street car procharger over a big H/C setup. Now a mild head and cam setup like mine will make decent power retain mileage within 1-2 mpg and still give you the option to spray and make more power than the Procharger.

Or you could do both. Low compression good flowing heads, a little 226 114 cam then the procharger at 8psi, you would be close to 600rwhp.

Look at the big picture when you make you're decision. I couldn't slap a procharger on my car the way it sits, too much overlap and higher compression. So make sure you make the right choise you will be satisfied with.

If you're building a track car, I prefer a motor/n20 car. If this is you're only car do yourself a favor and don't go with a big cam setup. If you're undecided and you have the money I'd go procharger, then later if you ever changed your mind it would be an easier process.

I personally love the sound of the chop, idle, and aggressiveness of a nice H/C setup. Plus you're not adding weight, more moving parts, and heat. For the cost of the procharger you would also be in the range of a nice 402 block, which is hopefully the direction I'll be taking.

Good luck
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

If this is going to be a daily drive car i would advise not going with a MS4 and true duals, not very streetable and will attract the cops.

Im going with a TR 230/224 111ls cam with ported ls6 heads, and a TNT f1 nitrous kit.....with a good tune and an exhaust set up that wont leave me deaf, i cant stress how the tune makes all the difference, talk to your local tuner and see what he recommends.

The biggest cam with racing heads isnt always the best solution, remeber you want power under the curve not peak numbers that look good on paper.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

that setup of the TFS heads/ms4/fast 90/90/ nitrous would eat up lots of cars on the road for sure!! i dont know how drivable that ms4 would be. i would love to have a supercharged ride for sure. but if i was on my stock 346 i would just do a h/c and nitrous!! now if i went to bigger cubes like a 402 or 408 then i would just supercharge that bitch!!! im doing a h/c and nitrous also. im looking at AFR 205/ TR TRAK cam setup!!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Yeah, in bad city traffic... ANY car is going to get its worst fuel economy during bad city traffic. You are really reaching there. Its not like every H/C car is going to get 9mpg all the time. Most people are not going to be driving a H/C car in only bad city traffic...
lol, how am i reaching? an FI setup making the same exact power as a H/C setup will get better fuel economy in almost every single situation out there.

Originally Posted by MillaTK
As stated, H/C will make the most power. Thats the way that I'd go, but since you are already have a H/C car, might wanna go FI on this one.
H/C will NOT make as much power as a procharger. a H/C setup on a stock cubed motor has far less potential than a procharger on a stock cubed motor. the only way the H/C setup is making more power is if the nitrous is being used, and i laugh at anyone that thinks using nitrous counts as NA. naturally aspirated...last time i checked, our atmosphere isn't made out of nitrous oxide.

you can't break much over 500rwhp with any H/C setup on a stock cubed motor no matter how much you build it up. forge the internals of a stock cubed motor and you can go higher on boost.

as for street manners, a H/C setup will never be better than FI, ever.

this is why FI costs more money than H/C setups - it's a superior setup. NA cars can never achieve the level of power, streetability and fuel economy an FI setup can deliver.

Quick Reply: heads & cam + 125 shot OR procharger for 02 SS???