New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is your LS1 block holding, or been know to hold?
300-400hp
12.90%
401-500hp
17.74%
501-600hp
37.10%
601-700hp
11.29%
701-800hp
4.84%
801-900hp
1.61%
901+hp
14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

What had the stock LS1 block been know to hold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
what kind of tune are you ls1 owners going with. i have an lt1
LS1edit
Old 07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kind of tune are you ls1 owners going with. i have an lt1
finding a tuner for that is gonna be a little harder than getting one for an LS1 car.

my car when fixed should make 530-540 on stock internals and block. i have a cam in it and 5.5-6psi and i made 503rwhp.

there was a fella in the FI section with stock internals and cam with a D1SC procharger and made 632rwhp on his stock bottom end, still on it if i remeber right.

A LOT has to do with the TUNE fellas
Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats why i was asking about the tune, sorry to be discreet. i meant to ask, what all comes in to play when tuning a car. a/f mixture etc. im just curious
Old 07-18-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats why i was asking about the tune, sorry to be discreet. i meant to ask, what all comes in to play when tuning a car. a/f mixture etc. im just curious
yes, all of that and more. timing, AFR, O2 censor readings, a tuner will look at it all and make it run as best as he/she can reliably....... and if you get a cool tuner, you'll get free up-dates. meaning if you add a cam or change exhaust or something, he/she will re-tune for free
Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Specificly:

On a stock bottom end you dont want any detonation at all on pump gas. If it was going to be race gas only it would almost certanly get the good stuff internally. Stock pistons can handle a lot more than people give credit for, but only if they are not punished with detonation. A piston that expiriences detonation at 300WHP is taking more abuse and cylinder pressure spikes than a clean 550WHP run will ever dish out. Forged pistons give you a little room there. But not too much if you want to last long.

So, in fighting detonation on pump, we must look at the single best controllable parameter we have to fight detonation: Timing advance. If that spark plug starts doing its thing at 5500RPM and 500WHP 30 degrees before the piston hits TDC on ****-water 91 octane, chances are pretty good that the mix wont burn quickly and evenly just as the piston crosses TDC. No no. It will explode the mix near instantly, making big time force downward on the piston while the rod and crank are still forcing it up wards. Wrist pins and rod bearing and ring lands love that stuff. So much that they snap, scrape, and crack respectively. Imagine if you were forced up ward by a huge metal rod up the **** into a downward explosion. Some people like that, but its not my cup o tea. Same for pistons.

So the key thing is to monitor knock and not get too crazy with the timing advance, even if that means sacrificing a bit of power.

AFR is also huge. If its too lean, you will get a more volatile mix that not only burns hotter, but loves to go off too soon as outlined above. Detonation make car go boom.
So its best to run a conservative AFR on pump with the stock bottom end. IMO about 11:1 is great for a turbo app on pump. You can get away with much leaner using some real gas. The alchy guys run like 14:1 or some crazy crap.

Thats really general, but basicly thats how you make a safe tune that does not kill engines.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Specificly:

On a stock bottom end you dont want any detonation at all on pump gas. If it was going to be race gas only it would almost certanly get the good stuff internally. Stock pistons can handle a lot more than people give credit for, but only if they are not punished with detonation. A piston that expiriences detonation at 300WHP is taking more abuse and cylinder pressure spikes than a clean 550WHP run will ever dish out. Forged pistons give you a little room there. But not too much if you want to last long.

So, in fighting detonation on pump, we must look at the single best controllable parameter we have to fight detonation: Timing advance. If that spark plug starts doing its thing at 5500RPM and 500WHP 30 degrees before the piston hits TDC on ****-water 91 octane, chances are pretty good that the mix wont burn quickly and evenly just as the piston crosses TDC. No no. It will explode the mix near instantly, making big time force downward on the piston while the rod and crank are still forcing it up wards. Wrist pins and rod bearing and ring lands love that stuff. So much that they snap, scrape, and crack respectively. Imagine if you were forced up ward by a huge metal rod up the **** into a downward explosion. Some people like that, but its not my cup o tea. Same for pistons.

So the key thing is to monitor knock and not get too crazy with the timing advance, even if that means sacrificing a bit of power.

AFR is also huge. If its too lean, you will get a more volatile mix that not only burns hotter, but loves to go off too soon as outlined above. Detonation make car go boom.
So its best to run a conservative AFR on pump with the stock bottom end. IMO about 11:1 is great for a turbo app on pump. You can get away with much leaner using some real gas. The alchy guys run like 14:1 or some crazy crap.

Thats really general, but basicly thats how you make a safe tune that does not kill engines.
well said my friend. my 500rwhp turbo app is on 10.2-3 AFR....... REALLY safe
Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Stock internals can handle 500-600 rwhp RELIABLY if you're smart, i.e. run more than 93 octane, use meth, don't beat on it, etc.

As for the block itself, it will handle 4 digits, as well as the stock crank.

If you don't have big $$$ and budgeting is an issue, just get the best pistons/rods you can buy and use stock block, crank, displacement, etc. With a twin turbo setup, you can make all the power you need.

Quick Reply: What had the stock LS1 block been know to hold?