New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flowmaster cutouts? loud? Need answer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
I see this post everytime cutouts get brought up. I'm sure there are more variables to your track time,unless you have timeslips showing the diffrences.
I do have the timeslips...somewhere...

The day was cooler, too. The cutout just kills your low end.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my car somebody that had it before me had put a series 80 Flowmaster on it. I guess you could call it a step muffler. They cut and pieced up the original exaust system with different sized muffler pipe and made it work. When I put on the Dynatech Supermaxx System my car sounded like a damn pickup truck. Gotta Go! So I put on a Hooker Catback and it quieted everything down at idle and still sounded good when you nailed it. I put the MS4 in and it was so quiet you couldn't really tell what kinda cam was in it. So I bought a DMH electric Cutout and put it in that sweet spot right before it goes over the Axle. So now I can run super quiet or open up the DMH and remove all doubt. I got offered $20 for the old 80 series and turned them down. Then I gave it to them. I wouldn't want someone mad at me after they installed it! +10 RWHP across the board when the DMH is open on the dyno.

Last edited by NC98Z; 08-17-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
My bad. Thought you were talking about cutouts hurting performance. Sorry meng.
No worries friend
Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hrmm...even if it doesnt help ur lower end....the INTIMIDATION Factor could help u destract the person ur racin...lol :p nothin like a open header cutouts on a cam'd car...Mmm lol
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it helps a great deal at the top end, nad when I got my cutout I barley felt any low end loss. Fact is the only thing that will flow better than a cutout is a TD setup. Me and 1 of my friends got our fbodies around the same time. And we had another friend who had his SS for 5 months with no mods till we got ours. One put a corsa and a slp lid on his SS, one put a hooker and a SLP lid on hi WS6. And I put on a QTP cuout and an SLP lid on my WS6. We have raced dozens of times and 9 out 0f 10 I win, well not anymore since they kept modding and I took a break. We are all automatics so the driver mod is out.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 PM

I was thinking about getting cutouts. this thread is back and forth but I agree with the intimidation factor LOL.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

I gained 9 RWHP with my cutout open...It did feel like i might have lost a little low end torque..But thats why i got a stall and gears..which more than made up for any slight low end torque loss.

Quick Reply: flowmaster cutouts? loud? Need answer!!!