New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the intake and headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Woah, and I thought I was a newbie at 15. At least I knew to go to some local car shows, talk to some gearheads and maybe even use google. Sorry, but maybe performance cars just aren't for you. I know we all have to start somewhere, but there are many other places where you can get answers to basic questions such as this. Hell, I learned a lot in my early teen years from http://www.howstuffworks.com. Happy reading.
Old 08-21-2007 | 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Default this was a 4yo question

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
So is that how we should answer every question, tell the OP to just Google it?

Why even have the forums? I haven't seen a single question/discussion here that wasn't covered elseware, on another forum, or another site easily Googled. Does that mean that we should just not encourage questions and discussions?

hell my 4 year old daughter could have came up with a better question........

I answer alot of questions here when they are worth answering....hell there is half a dosen stickies here in big caps that couldve answered his question.....

Your so smart what is your proffession???do you do your own automotive work??If you know more than me at age 21 and me being half aa dosen years older than you you need to be up for the nobel prize because you are one smart ****.....
Old 08-21-2007 | 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chae
Woah, and I thought I was a newbie at 15. At least I knew to go to some local car shows, talk to some gearheads and maybe even use google. Sorry, but maybe performance cars just aren't for you. I know we all have to start somewhere, but there are many other places where you can get answers to basic questions such as this. Hell, I learned a lot in my early teen years from http://www.howstuffworks.com. Happy reading.
X2!!

Good call on the howstuffworks website. Learned quite abit from that place myself when I was first geetting into cars/trucks and such.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
Your so smart what is your proffession???

SPAARTAANNNNSS!!!! WHAT IS YOUR PROFFESSION?!?!?!?!

Sorry couldn't help myself....I love that movie
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
hell my 4 year old daughter could have came up with a better question........

I answer alot of questions here when they are worth answering....hell there is half a dosen stickies here in big caps that couldve answered his question.....

Your so smart what is your proffession???do you do your own automotive work??If you know more than me at age 21 and me being half aa dosen years older than you you need to be up for the nobel prize because you are one smart ****.....
So this one isn't worth answering? Why not? Because to you and me it's common sense? Find me a single sticky that shows what an intake is and what it does. Or what a header is, and what it does. Not why a header is better than a manifold, or which header is best, but a sticky that tells him WHAT a header is. I just searched for 20 minutes, and couldn't find anything on this site explaining the basic principles. Which is fine for most of us, as we are beyond the basics. But in order to get beyond the basics, one must first know the basics. And if he can't get that information from the forum, what makes you think he'll want to stick around? He'll never again be comfortable asking a question, because he knows the first time he did he got a bunch of smarta$$ comments.

As for my profession, it doesn't much matter, or have anything to do with engines. Except I check the oil in our 4.6s and 3800s about once every 4 yeas or so.

As for my own automotive work, I guess you could say that.
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by So-GT0071

SPAARTAANNNNSS!!!! WHAT IS YOUR PROFFESSION?!?!?!?!

Sorry couldn't help myself....I love that movie
HAHAHA!!! Great timing. I too loved that movie.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Way to help someone who is asking for help guys.

Someone once told me there are no stupid questions.. just stupid people to give stupid answers.

that's about 95% of the members of this site...

those self 'proclaimed' LS1 Gods, that find it easier to insult to build up their ego, that should be checked at the door, than to help someone else. they would rather click on a thread that they can rip on someone in, rather than contribute in a thread that might challenge them...

those are also the same people who cry, 'its just a joke' once called out by others. basically they can dish it, but cant take it...

that said, the intake sits on the top on the engine that the TB bolts to and the headers bolt onto the cylinder heads. if your car is stock, you dont have headers, you have exhaust manifolds...

to the OP, ignore the asshats on the site, there are plenty of others that will gladly help you out...
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is that how we should answer every question, tell the OP to just Google it?

Why even have the forums? I haven't seen a single question/discussion here that wasn't covered elseware, on another forum, or another site easily Googled. Does that mean that we should just not encourage questions and discussions?
I agree - why would you want to lurk around the newbie section waiting for a newbie question to be asked, and then scoff the question or tell him to do a search? Kinda stupid.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what the stickies are for...just go through and read through the stickies in this section, external engine, maybe general maintenance and general lsx and then let us know what questions you've got after reading through those (they would answer just about all the questions you've asked)
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tylerdj
This is what the stickies are for...just go through and read through the stickies in this section, external engine, maybe general maintenance and general lsx and then let us know what questions you've got after reading through those (they would answer just about all the questions you've asked)
Odd, I just checked the stickies in everyone of the sections you mentioned, and not a single one went into what an intake manifold is, and what headers are. There were a few about the different brands of intakes and headers, but as I said before, not a single one saying what they are, what their purpose is, and how/why they are the way they are.
Old 08-22-2007 | 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

You all amuse me
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Odd, I just checked the stickies in everyone of the sections you mentioned, and not a single one went into what an intake manifold is, and what headers are. There were a few about the different brands of intakes and headers, but as I said before, not a single one saying what they are, what their purpose is, and how/why they are the way they are.
Odd, I was able to find this is in the sticky at the top of THIS page.

Seems to tell you exactly what the exhaust manifold is.

In the external engine sticky if you click on any of those links under "Intake Manifold" that I have higlighted, It shows you several different pictures of Intake manifolds.

Seems to show you exactly what an intake manifold looks like.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to offend the OP or anything, just showing that simple questions like this could be answered by a little research.
Old 08-22-2007 | 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

wow my point exactly.....search is your friend
Old 08-22-2007 | 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

Not trying to offend the OP or anything, just showing that simple questions like this could be answered by a little research.
Old 08-22-2007 | 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

So this one isn't worth answering? Why not? Because to you and me it's common sense? Find me a single sticky that shows what an intake is and what it does. Or what a header is, and what it does. Not why a header is better than a manifold, or which header is best, but a sticky that tells him WHAT a header is. I just searched for 20 minutes, and couldn't find anything on this site explaining the basic principles. Which is fine for most of us, as we are beyond the basics. But in order to get beyond the basics, one must first know the basics. And if he can't get that information from the forum, what makes you think he'll want to stick around? He'll never again be comfortable asking a question, because he knows the first time he did he got a bunch of smarta$$ comments.

As for my profession, it doesn't much matter, or have anything to do with engines. Except I check the oil in our 4.6s and 3800s about once every 4 yeas or so.

As for my own automotive work, I guess you could say that.

exactly!!!!

its just like designing a cam lobe profile or figuring out piston to valve clearance or volumetric plenum of air in the intake. Yeah I know how to do figure this out and many dont. Am I going to make fun of them and be a jerk? NO not at all. Unless they act like a know it and talk out of their *** and will not listen.

Seriously for the people that tease the new guy, remember all of us where new at one time. Either you learned from ls1tech, in school, from friends or from your father. Either way its no reason to tease someone.
Old 08-22-2007 | 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

it was a joke this thread should have been locked as soon as it was opened....
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:07 PM
Banned

Odd, I was able to find this is in the sticky at the top of THIS page.

Seems to tell you exactly what the exhaust manifold is.

In the external engine sticky if you click on any of those links under "Intake Manifold" that I have higlighted, It shows you several different pictures of Intake manifolds.

Seems to show you exactly what an intake manifold looks like.
He didn't ask where they were, or what they looked like. He asked what they were. Those two things say neither. To him, they are just another piece of metal/plastic bolted on the thing under his hood.
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Power potential comes from how much air we can get into the cylinders, the intake directs air flow into each respective cylinder head port, and the headers direct the flow of hot exhaust gases out from the exhuast ports in the cylinder head. The purpose of replacing these is to increase the amount of air flow, and thus overall potential of the engine.
Old 08-22-2007 | 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey camaro lover welcome to the site!
this is a real busy place, search seems to work only when there are not lot's of folks online overloading the server. early morning, late at night or weekends seach is much better.