New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the intake and headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey camaro lover welcome to the site!
this is a real busy place, search seems to work only when there are not lot's of folks online overloading the server. early morning, late at night or weekends seach is much better.
what chavez855 said.
was it polite? no
was it called for? thats your take
did i laugh? yeah i did
was that right? thats your op.
do i give a ****? not likely
but hey do not get discouged camaro lover i will help you any with any thing i can.
i have supported my self the past 33 years turning wrenches for a living. of the shops i have worked in you better have some thick skin. the words empathy or smypathy might only be found in the trash can if someone threw an old dictionary in there.
are they ********? yep
am i any differnt? nope i have many lifelong friends that are opiononated ******** like myself.
Old 08-22-2007 | 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Default this one is worse

I saw this in another members thread......click here

even the mods know how to have a good laugh when a stupid question is asked...I just wasnt aware of all the crybabies on tech...hell the op apparently didnt care or atleast I hope not....
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, on all forums, I always search but the search doesn't work for me, seriously. I put in "exhaust" and to search titles only and I get hundreds of pages none of which having exhaust in them.

But back to the topic, how do better headers and intake help the car? Basically just the principle of more air in and more air out = power?
An engine is basically an air pump. The harder it has to try to pump the air through it, the less power it can put out. By improving the ease by which the engine gets air in and pumps it out, you improve you power output. So you want to get a better intake of air, and a better manifod to take care of how it mixes the air and fuel.

And headers are an improved way to get the exhaust out of the engine by using less of the power the engine creates to pump it out against the constriction created by the exhaust pipes. They use single tubes for each cylinder rather than the stock exhaust manifold which usually combines the exhaust output into a single pipe per side, and into the tail pipe.

That's my Engine 101 for today. I gave you the straight answer becuase you kept coming back after the boys started razzing you. I'm normally a smart *** too. Glad to have you here. Keep a thick skin.
Old 08-22-2007 | 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

camaro lover...easiest way to find stuff out about your car is to find someone in your area...be it a shop or another camaro owner...i ask the shop i go to some pretty off the wall questions...he knew i was just starting out...people seem to be more of an ******* on the computer than face to face...

to all those that sit here and get your jollys off...the OP is obviously new to this...dont know how extent his knowledge on cars...give him a break...noone started out knowing everything...gotta start somewhere...atleast he posted it here and not on one of the other areas... be a mentor instead of a heckler to the newbies...unless they claim 10seconds and post a bs slip that was someone elses...(1fastz)
Old 08-22-2007 | 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sreve
search seems to work only when there are not lot's of folks online overloading the server. early morning, late at night or weekends seach is much better.
You have any idea what kind of cash this place is pulling down. Update the friggin server already.
Old 08-22-2007 | 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6
You have any idea what kind of cash this place is pulling down. Update the friggin server already.
Old 08-22-2007 | 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by greysteel_M6

When almost every new member/customer that comes on board here says that search doesn't work, I think it's time for some moderator or owner to take note. I read a lot of the threads here and the "search don't work' is becoming a universal response from new members.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry, my computer's been down for a few days now. Broken service fan.

I don't really take the jokes and teases that personally. I mean, I've been to other forums not even car related and still see this happens all the time online.

One thing is that the search here doesn't work. And googling it or other research would help but there's a lot of BS sites out there and this forum seems real and there's not that much BS. But I guess I really should've looked through all stickies but it's just that those go in too much detail (atleast for me) and it doesn't give me the basics. On HowStuffWorks, it gives the general parts of the engine but not details of what each one exactly does unless I missed a link there or something.

There's actually a couple of old-timers who come near this park by my house once a week with their first gen. camaro's, corvettes, firebird, etc. etc. and hang out. I always go past them and admire the cars but I just never had the courage to go and ask about it especially when there's a group of them just sitting and talking and some "punk 16 year old" goes and asks another question about their car which they must hear all the time.

Thanks for everyone who helped and even the ones who teased. Just gives me a little boost that says go and research =D

SO you guys can see my experience and knowledge. What do you recommend me to read or do to learn?? I personally feel that most stickies here are too advanced for me but if you guys have any other resources, I'd appreciate if you post them.
Old 08-23-2007 | 01:12 AM
Launching!

Hello fellow member. Im kind of in the same boat as you , still young and learning. I want to let you know about a really informative book i bought..

The book is an awsome read, but the dvd comes with is even better. Its a 2 hour movie on a 100% rebuild of a chevy small block. Granted the old school small block and ls1 motors aren't completely identical they share the same idea... pushrods and 8 cyclinders. The book is about $35.00 but it will help you understand about 90% of the stuff on this site.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Most likely I can't find that in bookstores but I just got my debit card (I'm 16 so it's a big deal for me =P) I can buy online so I'll look for that.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
He didn't ask where they were, or what they looked like. He asked what they were. Those two things say neither. To him, they are just another piece of metal/plastic bolted on the thing under his hood.
He asked what they are. Those pictures clearly show what they are.
Old 08-23-2007 | 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tylerdj
He asked what they are. Those pictures clearly show what they are.
No they don't. They simply show him where they are. To someone who knows nothing about that picture, it is quite obvious that it all looks the same, a bunch of metal and plastic bolted together.
Old 08-24-2007 | 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Im just glad I didnt ask some of the questions I've wanted to ask cuz... im like CamaroLover. I've read alot of these stickies and its like just all going right over my head. I cant soak it in because I have not a damn clue WTF most of it is. As for trying a google (or similar) search, like stated, turns up the biggest clusterf*ck of random information imaginable... which, again, is mostly too advanced or is explained in such a way that its hard to even relate it to what's talked about here. Anywayz, just my 2c.
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:10 PM
Banned

That's weird, the poster above me showed you a picture. You mean, that didn't fully explain to you what an intake manifold, or exhaust header, is?

Case in point tyler.
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
That's weird, the poster above me showed you a picture. You mean, that didn't fully explain to you what an intake manifold, or exhaust header, is?

Case in point tyler.
I was just givin him a hard time,calm your *** down sally.
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Default magazines

hahaha

hell even the op said he didnt care....op you are 16 im assuming you are in HS take a year of an auto tech vocational class or a small engine repair...if they are offered at your school...you will learn alot and have lots of fun....id get a subscription to popular mechanics magazine orhot rod....you can learn alot from a magazine.......fieroz24 or whatever your username is....grow up the op is 16 and more mature than you....

most of us here enjoy a good laugh.....makes things easier.....oh yeah fieroz24

lighten up
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:16 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

FieroZ34 - Since you know everything about everything and seem to like a good play on words, tell me this...

In your infinite knowledge, why have you posted more than 6 times in this thread without a single attempt to answer the question asked in the first place?

If it is so simple and such a serious topic for you to come back to this thread so many times, using the same number of words you have used to tell us all how much you know, and what exact words he used in his original question, you could have just answered his question, yet you gave no useful information whatsoever.

Telling people on the internet that you have never met, that you know more than they do, and that they need to grow up, etc. is sure sign that you feel the need to belittle others to make yourself seem smarter. Your responses are a sure indicator of either serious insecurity or general immaturity, either way considering the wealth of knowledge in the automotive field here on LS1Tech, you would serve yourself much better to show people what you know rather than tell them.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:25 PM
Banned

In my opinion, the question was answered quite well enough by the people who replied before I even saw the thread.
Old 08-24-2007 | 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
hahaha

hell even the op said he didnt care....op you are 16 im assuming you are in HS take a year of an auto tech vocational class or a small engine repair...if they are offered at your school...you will learn alot and have lots of fun....id get a subscription to popular mechanics magazine orhot rod....you can learn alot from a magazine.......fieroz24 or whatever your username is....grow up the op is 16 and more mature than you....

most of us here enjoy a good laugh.....makes things easier.....oh yeah fieroz24

lighten up
My school doesn't offer any of that unfortunately. I'll see if I can subscribe into the magazines though. What are some that are for people with knowledge like mine? Basically the basics =D
Old 08-24-2007 | 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

go to your local library and get some books on the internal combustion engine and they should also have a good selection of automotive magasines...just browse a few and subscribe to the ones you like.....