New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Toys Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a side note. We just got finished a production run of the FTRA's and have them in stock again
Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
On a side note. We just got finished a production run of the FTRA's and have them in stock again
you guys should make a plastic slip-on cover for the inlet with a quick fasten system so owners that still use auto car washes dont run the risk of ingesting water. i made a sheetmatel cover for mine but not everyone has access to a brake.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
you guys should make a plastic slip-on cover for the inlet with a quick fasten system so owners that still use auto car washes dont run the risk of ingesting water. i made a sheetmatel cover for mine but not everyone has access to a brake.
The kit comes with a block off plate already which serves that purpose
Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
i have one...i like it for the most part...Your air filter will get dirty a lot faster..but other than that no problems with it. I did have to remove the bottom scoop section so i could mount my transmission cooler...
I have the SSRA and had the same problem. If you take the bottom piece out you techniquely have a cold air setup not a ram air set up. I was able to wedge the transmission cooler to the far left and put the bottom piece next to it. I put the bottom half of the SSRA right next to it. The transmission cooler does not move at all and it isn't even bolted in. It is a very tight fit. I picked up atleast .1 at the track.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

The kit comes with a block off plate already which serves that purpose
didnt know that! very cool!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the FTRA and I must say, I didn't feel any difference. Then again, I didn't feel a difference with the LS6 intake, P&P TB, exhaust or lid.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ you must have anti *** dyno seats . i noticed a difference in mine at higher speeds, IAT was also cooler.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Gotta ask this but in what way is the FTRA > free ram air mod? Is the incoming air really cooler? More forceful? Not being a smart ***, just asking..

Last edited by 6THZ28; 11-30-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

well if the air lid is not tight, then there's going to be a slight power loss from air escaping at the cracks. same principles i guess when air is just being directed by the plastic air dam piece that's not sealed at all. the FTRA and SSRA (better) is funneling air more directly into the throttlebody.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
Gotta ask this but in what way is the FTRA > free ram air mod? Is the incoming air really cooler? More forceful? Not being a smart ***, just asking..

The free air mod does not directly force air into the airbox by using the forward momentum of the car (ram air). This means that all the air that enters the motor is strictly due to engine vacuum (less efficient). The free air mod also draws air from directly in front of the radiator which is warmer than the air the FTRA draws from the bottom of the vehicle off the air deflector. Warm air = less power and less timing (which also equals less power).

Lastly, the free air mod is not capable of developing any positive pressure in the air box while the FTRA will achieve a small degree of pressurization at higher speeds improving the VE of the motor. Improve the VE of the motor and you get more HP and better fuel economy.

That's it in a nutshell
Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Regular

The free air mod does not directly force air into the airbox by using the forward momentum of the car (ram air). This means that all the air that enters the motor is strictly due to engine vacuum (less efficient). The free air mod also draws air from directly in front of the radiator which is warmer than the air the FTRA draws from the bottom of the vehicle off the air deflector. Warm air = less power and less timing (which also equals less power).

Lastly, the free air mod is not capable of developing any positive pressure in the air box while the FTRA will achieve a small degree of pressurization at higher speeds improving the VE of the motor. Improve the VE of the motor and you get more HP and better fuel economy.

That's it in a nutshell
Good explanation thanks. Taking a guess here but VE stands for ________ efficiency?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
Good explanation thanks. Taking a guess here but VE stands for ________ efficiency?
Volumetric Efficiency (hope I spelt that right). Basically how efficient a motor is at pumpinr air or put another way, the relationship between theoretical displacement and how much air actual enters each cylinder.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

+1 for FTRA - I felt it and it was a simple install, even for my very limited mechanical experience. As I understand it, the FTRA operates even more efficiently than the WS6 ram air set-up. Any comments?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Raleigh TA
+1 for FTRA - I felt it and it was a simple install, even for my very limited mechanical experience. As I understand it, the FTRA operates even more efficiently than the WS6 ram air set-up. Any comments?
Yes it will be more efficient than the WS6 ram air set-up. However, we realize some WS6 customers want to keep their hood functional so we offer the JAAM WS6 ram air kit as a good compromise that will still yield a performance increase and also improves the looks underhood
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it will be more efficient than the WS6 ram air set-up. However, we realize some WS6 customers want to keep their hood functional so we offer the JAAM WS6 ram air kit as a good compromise that will still yield a performance increase and also improves the looks underhood
so for the ws6 guys, they can benifit from the ftra and the jaam?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

if you want your stock ws6 hood functional (use JAAM)
if you dont care, use the FTRA

I dont think you would want to use them together becuase it just wont work right.

Stupid question. Say someone wants to use the FTRA and not use the factory WS6 ram air, do you sell kits that have a larger seal to block off the front of the airbox since the ramair cars have an opening thats twice as big as the regular size boxes that camaros, adn base trans am's use?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

You have to pick either the JAAM kit or the FTRA. Running them together will not help you any more.

The rubber seal we provide in the FTRA kit is 1/2" too short for the WS6 lower air box. We couldn't not find a one piece rubber seal tall enough. To make the kit work on your WS6 car, you either need to use a piece of thin plastic, tape, plexiglass or something else to supplement our seal to properly seal up the front of the air box. The goal is just to prevent air from escaping through the front of the air box.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

do you guys sell just the seals for the ftra? mine are getting a little bit old and i can tell they don't look they seal as well as they should.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by its turbo time
do you guys sell just the seals for the ftra? mine are getting a little bit old and i can tell they don't look they seal as well as they should.
Yes. Front rubber seal :8.00 . Foam seals 3.00

Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

im considering buy one of these FTRA, i already have an SLP lid do i buy the whole FTRA still?