Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK SSI Intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK SSI Intake

I'm looking to add an intake and throttle body as my next mods. Anyone running the bbk ssi 85mm intake and throttle body? Looking for real world results, and trying to find out if the thing really "heatsoaks." thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Jedi Master

I wish I had the link for you, but someone on LS1GTO got one and put it on the dyno. Zero gain.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gh0st
I wish I had the link for you, but someone on LS1GTO got one and put it on the dyno. Zero gain.
Interesting......i've been done quite a bit of research and the results are inconclusive and erratic so far. In its defense, the GTO had the ls6 intake so that probably is why it showed no gain. I have a 98, so that would probably make a difference.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Stock LS1 intake/TB vs. BBK intake/BBK TB...

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_07...old/index.html

You either want an aluminum intake or you don't... The heat soak argument for dry plenum manifolds really holds very little water. Any given volume of air moving through the intake is LONG gone before the manifold gets to exchange it's heat. I live in Phoenix, have a Black car and just bought this manfold/TB combo. Heat soak is of ZERO concern to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crashinaz
Stock LS1 intake/TB vs. BBK intake/BBK TB...

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_07...old/index.html

You either want an aluminum intake or you don't... The heat soak argument for dry plenum manifolds really holds very little water. Any given volume of air moving through the intake is LONG gone before the manifold gets to exchange it's heat. I live in Phoenix, have a Black car and just bought this manfold/TB combo. Heat soak is of ZERO concern to me.
Just curious? Did you notice any notable gains with it?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

I have the 85mm intake and TB. I added it when I did my top end...heads and cam. Unfortunately I can not give you a specific on what difference the intake itself did. At this time, alli have done is road tune mine but I will say that I probably would say that there is something to the heatsoak theory. I know this intake and TB are hard to tune. The guy that is tuning mine has done extensive research on the web and found others having problems getting them to idle consistantly. Mine has been a challenge but I think we have it now.

This is on an LS1 '04 GTO in Texas.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 AM
Teching In

I most likely will stick with tried and true ls6, but will most likely go with a bbk 80mm throttlebody.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Better intakes out there.

The GM LS6 intake and the FAST 90 are the only worthy upgrades in my opinion.

I have seen that new Holley Powershot throttle body and that looks like a good upgrade option if your going to do a manifold swap.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Well, I'll say this... The casting is a pretty good piece and the material around the ports were much needed for port matching. I'd be interested in seeing with width of a LS6 intake port, though the LS1 ports are 1.00 on the money. I probably put about 4 hours into porting BBK. The BBK measurements hovered around 1.05 +/-... I opened them up to 1.150 to match my heads and there was plenty of material to do so. I'd say the abilty to port is worth it alone. Over an 1/8 of an inch (from an LS1) across 8 ports HAS to be worth something. My car goes on the dyno this saturday, so we'll see what happens... I noticed the BBK throttle blade doesn't have an air bleed hole drilled in it... Idle problems fixed? We'll see.

Last edited by crashinaz; 09-24-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tired of posting this, but apparently either nobody has seen it, or GMHTP doesn't know how to dyno stuff...

Quick Reply: BBK SSI Intake