New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries. In the Navy here also, and have been to the "sand pit" a few times myself.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM

I'm heading to the Desert Dome tomorrow though. I need to down a couple....KEGS, lol!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Ahhhh - good ole Bahrain. Stay away from the Strongbow cider!!... your numbers still look pretty good for the mods you've done, just like a few others have posted.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I have seen an '01 M6 car make 350rwhp with a lid, headers, ORY, catback & tuning. It's not impossibile. But that car had stock gears. Your gears will cost you some power, as will the cats. If you had stock gears and no cats you'd probably make 10-15rwhp more.
That is what I put down in my 01 after a tune, I got the sheet somewhere I will post. M6 with the Mods you listed
Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Sometimes It Not The Peek Power You Should Look At But How Your Car Makes Power
Old 09-14-2007, 10:31 AM

Well, sounds like i need only a couple pulls to get the maximum power out of my mods then. as for the cats, in va i have to keep them on otherwise they won't pass the inspection One of many reasons i would LOVE to get out of virginia, lol.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Teching In

AMEN on the fine Commonwealth of VA. I would have pulled mine off the day I bought the car if I could have! I'll check around here for ya while you are gone to see who/where you can get the most bang for your buck when it comes to a custom tune.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 AM

Thanks bro. I appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I'm confused on how a gear would make you lose HP on the dyno?
I know its not going to make any extra HP...but how in the heck could a gear cause your car to lose HP??
Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supersonicshadow
Yeah, one of my friends told me i should get a stall, but he said go all out with a 4000, lol. Now I'm no expert, but I think that is a little excessive, especially for a street car...Of course, right now since i got all the mods i have now within like a month's timeframe, i think i am gonna wait a while before the better half kills me for bleeding us dry for car parts, lol! Of course, I still want to get a couple more pulls from the guys my wife bought the tune from. Before i left they said 3 pulls for 450...they charged my wife nearly 500 for 2. Kinda shady...
4000 is a bit much, but it depends on how much cam you go with. If you stay with a nice good zied cam, like a torquer v2 or v3 a 3500 rpm stall should suit you just fine. Stalls def make auto's a LOT more fun, on of the best bang for the buck mods out there for an A4 ls1. I hear you though on bleeding the bank account for car parts, my GF wasnt thrilled when I had my 98 z28 so i feel your pain. $500 bucks for two pulls is kind of a lot IMO. When I had my car tuned it was $450 and Don at Dez Racing (in Massachusetts) and he took the car for some street runs, then dyno tuned it for a good hour. Do you get a discounted second tune?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
4000 is a bit much, but it depends on how much cam you go with. If you stay with a nice good zied cam, like a torquer v2 or v3 a 3500 rpm stall should suit you just fine. Stalls def make auto's a LOT more fun, on of the best bang for the buck mods out there for an A4 ls1. I hear you though on bleeding the bank account for car parts, my GF wasnt thrilled when I had my 98 z28 so i feel your pain. $500 bucks for two pulls is kind of a lot IMO. When I had my car tuned it was $450 and Don at Dez Racing (in Massachusetts) and he took the car for some street runs, then dyno tuned it for a good hour. Do you get a discounted second tune?
He better get a discount!! They totally rolled your wonderful lady(wish I had one that would PAY to have my car dynoed and tuned). I went to IMP in clifton NJ and they dynoed and tuned my Eclipse for like $300 bucks and that included the spark plugs and used MAF they had and put in. I know, it was an import but it wasn't no ricer! Loved spanking the hondas with that thing.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zuuhlsT/A
He better get a discount!! They totally rolled your wonderful lady(wish I had one that would PAY to have my car dynoed and tuned). I went to IMP in clifton NJ and they dynoed and tuned my Eclipse for like $300 bucks and that included the spark plugs and used MAF they had and put in. I know, it was an import but it wasn't no ricer! Loved spanking the hondas with that thing.
Depends on the shop, one of the top shops around chicago and a sponsor here is 550 for a tune. But you have to wait 3 weeks to get in.

And a stall is the single best mod you can do to an A4. And you know what? it's going to cost you HP on the dyno! but you will get down the street faster.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

If your car was stalled i would say even less...but about right for a stock stalled car with your mods.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00blacksstallion
colts fan like to see
hell ya son.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Be careful about believing the hype about what certain mods will 'add' in horsepower. For instance they say a K & N will add 5-20 hp, and a lid will add 5-20 hp. If you do both do you get 40 more hp? Nope. Bolt on mods will make more of your horsepower available, but they free it up, they don't add it. In order to actually ADD power you need to go inside the engine. Think of it this way, does the air filter produce any power, headers produce power, exhaust? No they all free up the existing power potential of the engine that is already there. This is just a little engineering sticking point with me but it just drives me nuts when I hear that an air filter or better exhaust pipe is making power. It's already there. Off my soap box now, sorry.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your numbers seem to be right where they should be. My friends M6 car with the same mods as you -cats put down 338/345. Like everyone else is saying it also depends on what type of dyno they use as well as M6 or A4.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 AM

Yeah, I am definitely using the old "Hey, I was deployed overseas and this is how you repay me by rolling my wife?" routine. I'm sure I will get at LEAST a free pull out of it, lol.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 AM

Be careful about believing the hype about what certain mods will 'add' in horsepower. For instance they say a K & N will add 5-20 hp, and a lid will add 5-20 hp. If you do both do you get 40 more hp? Nope. Bolt on mods will make more of your horsepower available, but they free it up, they don't add it. In order to actually ADD power you need to go inside the engine. Think of it this way, does the air filter produce any power, headers produce power, exhaust? No they all free up the existing power potential of the engine that is already there. This is just a little engineering sticking point with me but it just drives me nuts when I hear that an air filter or better exhaust pipe is making power. It's already there. Off my soap box now, sorry.[QUOTE]

And thanks ghardester for teaching me what mods really do. i mean i know they didn't exactly "add" all that horsepower on those little mods like the filter and lid but i just couldn't put my finger on what. thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

dude those #'s are about right thats pretty much what i put when i had that stuff. after alot of work and stress i finaly got it to pull 350/380 on motor only and on the NOS i put 419/457 don't sweat it just come back safe and then have alot of fun.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Regular

Didnt read the whole thread, but from what it looks like you are about right on....i dynoed yesterday on a dynojet and made 313/326 with lid, catback and P/P throttle body. Givin i have a 9" which takes some power away...and virginia speed is VERY reputable. I highly doubt they would steer you wrong.