Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ripped off...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supersonicshadow
One of many reasons i would LOVE to get out of virginia, lol.
LOL! You and my brother both. He keeps getting tickets for stupid reason. Can't wait to get back to Texas, a real state (just had to throw that in). BTW he's on the Carl Vinson (Dry Docked).

Regarding the car: My last LS1 was a A4 w/ Headers, ORY, 3:42, Lid, Plugs, wire, and no tune. Around the same numbers but a little lower. The main thing is it would run 8.4's in the 1/8th with no stall and the same on the street. But not a bad start for you
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

Numbers seem right man. Remember a dyno is for tuning only! Take it to the track and see if you gain MPH...thats where the power shows.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds about right, I would have guessed it to be a little more with a tune, but it's not an exact science, and you are an a4.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
235-238ish?!?

Maybe if it was an '02 Mustang GT.
Don't be a toolbox, you know what I meant. Edited it.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 AM

i just can't wait to get back and start it. When I left the exhaust was still stock, so going from the stock exhaust to the one i have now is going to be a fun time, lol. unfortunately like most people who drive fast around here know, i won't be able to open it up right away since the cops are a bunch of chodes.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think your numbers are spot on! I have a buddy here on the boards that only put down 319/345 with his bolton 2001 Z28. But this car runs really really hard! Dyno numbers are strictly for tuning purposes and shows you if your modifications are actually helping to add power.

Just some information... not sure if you know or not but, rear wheel dyno numbers are way different than motor numbers.

If you put down 327 at the dyno shop, you got to factor in your drive train loss (transmission/rearend etc).

Since your an automatic lets say 18% drivetrain loss. 327rwhp x 1.18 = 385 Horsepower.

385 Horsepower is a considerable amount over stock. Your doing good!

Hope this helps
Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Bolton's...sounds about right to me.

Did you really expect that when SLP said you would gain 10RWHP for a lid that it would happen? Believe half what you read and go ahead with it for the fun not an arbitrary HP number.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Not all cars will dyno the same, and not all dynos are the same

And air temps blah blah and all that other crap play a role

Your number seem normal to me just a tad bit low, but nothing in qeustion
Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, my list of mods are in my signature. That being said, with a good dynotune, how much horsepower and torque should i be working with? My wife went to Virginia Speed in Virginia Beach, VA to get my car dynotuned as a gift to me when i get back from being deployed overseas and they told her that they actually tuned my car with 2 pulls with their hp software. Now seeing as how she knows less about cars than I do, I didn't get mad at her but instead asked for the dyno chart to see what they did. They are attempting to convince me that I am merely pulling 327hp and 338torque. I know for a fact that is wrong, but I would like everyone's input as to where my car REALLY should be with the modifications i have done so far to my car. Thanks ahead of time.
I happen to be the shop manager at Va. Speed.I can honestly tell you that you didnt get ripped off.There was 5 hours worth of tuning done to your car.Brian our tuner,drove your car for about 2 hours with the wideband o2 sensor hooked up,built a good map for all around drivability.He modifies many parameters including trans shift point,torque limiters,fan on and off,egr,air pump,after all of that it is tuned on the dyno for wide open throttle.Usually it takes 8-10 pulls to get max power.We only give the customer the first and last pulls so they can see what they came with and what they left with.I can give you all the pulls we made if you desire.Our dyno reads a little lower than others,not that ours is wrong just different.Your car dynoed about the same as other cars with similar modifications.
I think it would be wise to get your facts straight before you go flaming people on the internet.If there are any problems feels free to call me at 757-468-5101 ask for Shawn,I will help you out any way i can.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Don't be a toolbox
Better to be a tool box than a tool bag.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM

"I happen to be the shop manager at Va. Speed.I can honestly tell you that you didnt get ripped off.There was 5 hours worth of tuning done to your car.Brian our tuner,drove your car for about 2 hours with the wideband o2 sensor hooked up,built a good map for all around drivability.He modifies many parameters including trans shift point,torque limiters,fan on and off,egr,air pump,after all of that it is tuned on the dyno for wide open throttle.Usually it takes 8-10 pulls to get max power.We only give the customer the first and last pulls so they can see what they came with and what they left with.I can give you all the pulls we made if you desire.Our dyno reads a little lower than others,not that ours is wrong just different.Your car dynoed about the same as other cars with similar modifications.
I think it would be wise to get your facts straight before you go flaming people on the internet.If there are any problems feels free to call me at 757-468-5101 ask for Shawn,I will help you out any way i can."

I went by what my wife showed me and told me. My wife will be up there to pick up the chart with every pull within the week.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 AM
FormerVendor

I spoke with Mike this morning about this.He informed me that all of this was explaned to your wife when she called asking about the amount of dyno pulls done.
I believe that before you go talking bad about people on the internet you should find out all the facts yourself instead of going through a second person.Sometimes the information gets lost from one person to another.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM

I'm overseas right now. Trust me, if I was able to take my car up there and get the repairs and dyno done personally, I would have. My wife is the only one I trust with my car, so she has been and will be handling repairs and other maintenance until I get home. All she told me was she was handed the chart and all the pulls were on it. I think you and I can both agree that if you were in my shoes where you were in no position to go to or contact the shop yourself to get an explanation, you'd be a bit heated too, lol. I apologize to you and the mechanics who worked on my vehicle at Virginia Speed for the mix-up. I hope we may be able to still do business in the future.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

One thing that will always be hard not to do is jump to conclusions. I am guilty of it myself many times over but I have learned to wait it out until I have factual information. I think the shop treated your wife fairly and you really don't need to see ALL of the pulls unless you want proof that they made more than two pulls.

Your numbers are right where they should be. I made 344/340 with the same mods but I did not have cats and I had 3.23 gears. My car has always put down big numbers though. I made over 400 rwhp cam only through an unlocked converter.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 AM

yeah, i would have said forget the cats, but unfortunately my car would fail a state inspection without them. Its kinda hard to find an inspection station in my area that would look past that.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

Sounds right on Sir....Mustang dyno or DynoJet? They are just numbers, don't get toooo caught up in them. A dyno is merely a tool for tuning. Horsepower and Torque are just an added benefit
Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

I'm overseas right now. Trust me, if I was able to take my car up there and get the repairs and dyno done personally, I would have. My wife is the only one I trust with my car, so she has been and will be handling repairs and other maintenance until I get home. All she told me was she was handed the chart and all the pulls were on it. I think you and I can both agree that if you were in my shoes where you were in no position to go to or contact the shop yourself to get an explanation, you'd be a bit heated too, lol. I apologize to you and the mechanics who worked on my vehicle at Virginia Speed for the mix-up. I hope we may be able to still do business in the future.

I appreciate the apology.No harm done though.Im glad i could help clear up the matter.I like happy customers and do anything i can do to make them happy.If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to send me a pm,ill do whatever i can.

And we use a Dynojet,like i said its shows usually 10hp lower than most other dynos in the area.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, i would have said forget the cats, but unfortunately my car would fail a state inspection without them. Its kinda hard to find an inspection station in my area that would look past that.
Dot hey do a smog test or only a visual inspection? If only a visual then id say leave the cats but gut/hollow them out. Did it to mine and it picked up a decent amount of ponies and made the exhaust sound even better. Hooker exhaust with ory and headers sounds mint!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Dot hey do a smog test or only a visual inspection? If only a visual then id say leave the cats but gut/hollow them out. Did it to mine and it picked up a decent amount of ponies and made the exhaust sound even better. Hooker exhaust with ory and headers sounds mint!
They only do a visual inspection in virginia. I may have to investigate that!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKDZ28
Just some information... not sure if you know or not but, rear wheel dyno numbers are way different than motor numbers.

If you put down 327 at the dyno shop, you got to factor in your drive train loss (transmission/rearend etc).

Since your an automatic lets say 18% drivetrain loss. 327rwhp x 1.18 = 385 Horsepower.

385 Horsepower is a considerable amount over stock. Your doing good!

Hope this helps
That math is wrong, you then are taking 18% of 327 and adding it to 327. The math goes... HP x .82(assuming 18% loss) = RWHP

so you would need to change it to...

RWHP/.82(assuming 18% loss) = HP

so 327/.82 = 398.78048

1.21952 HP short of a 400HP motor... not bad if you ask me.