New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Anyone Tell Me What's Done Under The Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Right, and I'd be even MORE nervous if it DIDN'T have H/C or even headers, because that probably means it was running nitrous and that's why the owner installed the 90/90.
So the only reason to run a fast 90 is for nitrous?

Another gem from Choco

As the others have said, catch can, 90/90, 85 mm maf and 85mm lid.

Do a compression check if you want to know how the engine is on either of them. Isnt that hard to do and you could even send a mech to do it for you. Cheap enough.

As far as buying it, as long as the compression is ok then there arent any worries. AN unmodded car can be beat on just as much as a modded car. It's friggin performance car to begin with. Unless someone like a typical Vett owner bought it chances are its been beat on.

Also as I look at that photo more it looks like there is writting on the front of that head or it could be dirt. You need to look at the car in person.

Jesus I just saw the monster tach!! Either the previous owner was a ricer or he raced the car a lot. White face guages.

Do a compression check. That intake and TB alone are worth $1100 new.

Check out the rear. If it's stock it might be in trouble. Could already have a 12 or 9" under there.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2007 | 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

Another gem from Choco
roflmao

As far as the cars go, I'd get the modded one, only cuz I'd mod the hell out of it anyway, why waste time. On a serious note though, don't make a hasty decision when the time comes.
Old 10-22-2007 | 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

one more word of advice, when you notice something like the fast intake, dont say **** to the dealer about it. it will give them a reason not to come down on price.
Old 10-22-2007 | 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

Another gem from Choco
Are you stupid? Why am I even asking, of course you are. Don't answer that.

If the car doesn't have H/C, the ONLY reason to ever buy a FAST 90/90 setup is if you're spraying, or if you have FI. It's wasted money on a bolt-on car, and may even hurt you. If this guy doesn't have H/C and has a FAST 90/90 setup, there's a pretty good chance he may have sprayed the car.

Stop taking things out of context for the sake of picking fights, you moron. I guess it's true, the biggest export of Oregon is retards. You make a fine export. Grow up, *******.
Old 10-22-2007 | 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Which would be cheaper, if you want to mod it that much anyways lets just say. Buying the unmodded one and have it built close to the 1st one, you still can't be sure how well the shop does the work and all that and its going to cost alot!

OR

Get the modded one and have it looked over by a shop that specializes in LS1s and Fbodies and have them go through it and looks at it, and if it needs clutch and/or rear wouldn't those 2 things be cheaper than having to do everything!

Also

if you can find a shop that is LS1 specific alot of dealers will let "your mechanic" take a look at it before you buy it, so just tell them that is who you want to have look at it, just make sure you have already spoken to the shop owner prior to telling the dealer that.
Old 10-22-2007 | 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

Also if you look at the interior pics, there is another rocker switch by the TCS switch, might have been stated before but I don't think that those are on stock ones, not positive though I drive a camaro could have been nitrous switch...
Old 10-23-2007 | 12:49 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Almostryan3
Also if you look at the interior pics, there is another rocker switch by the TCS switch, might have been stated before but I don't think that those are on stock ones, not positive though I drive a camaro could have been nitrous switch...
Very good eye.

There clearly is a switch there, I didn't see that before. It may, in fact, be a nitrous switch. Someone should tell blanco, the great white dumbass that Even if it was a nitrous switch, the guy wouldn't be big enough to apologize, so there's no point in complaining.

Only other thing I can think of is if he had a custom electric cutout switch wired in or something, or maybe a manual fan switch is a possibility, too, but a nitrous switch does seem like the best possible answer for that added switch near the TCS switch. That would explain the FAST 90/90 since that setup is ideal for nitrous.
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almostryan3
Yeah I saw that too but just figured it was a rocker switch most likely used for a cutout. I wouldn't think a rocker switch would be appropriate for nitrous but hell im no expert.
Old 10-23-2007 | 02:04 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
Yeah I saw that too but just figured it was a rocker switch most likely used for a cutout. I wouldn't think a rocker switch would be appropriate for nitrous but hell im no expert.
It could be a small custom "armed" switch painted black to match the interior. Maybe the actual nitrous button is inside the console or something to keep people passengers from bumping it or something, who knows. But like I said, it could be an e-cutout switch or a manual fan switch, among many other custom switches.
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:51 PM
On The Tree

That could be an amp switch as well. I don't think a single switch is all you would see if the guy went through all the effort and money for a 90/90 setup and all those goodies.Why would a rookie racer install a catch can? The mods you are seeing are pretty expensive if the previous owner cared enough to do those things I might do a compression check and buy it. Most all of these cars used have been beat on. You could get a deal on a bunch of parts. Doubtful if it has stock clutch at this point as well. I'm with BLONCO.

Last edited by aaronbetzner; 10-23-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: FOrgot something
Old 10-23-2007 | 04:30 PM
Teching In

also, the big tach may be for a cam.
Old 10-23-2007 | 06:45 PM
Teching In

that dealership is 10 min from my house! I go by it all the time when im on rt22. Hes always got fbody's and 03/04 cobras in his lot. Theres a SOM SS and a black SS there right now.
Old 10-25-2007 | 01:40 AM
Teching In

That would be the sweetest thing if you could go check it out for me! The SOM is way out of my price range and the SS is auto or else I'd get it. Just as long as the T/A runs and drives ok I'll get it! It's going to sit 99% of the winter anyways, there's no way I'm driving it in the Northeast during the winter, that's what I have my Blazers for.

If there's any obvious nitrous looking tell tales like old solenoids or anything sneaky I'll probably stay clear, spray on an auto is ok but on an M6 it kind of scares me..
Old 10-25-2007 | 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

whats wrong with an auto? heres a deal.. you buy that SS thats auto and ill trade you my T56
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KFC Or Bust
That would be the sweetest thing if you could go check it out for me! The SOM is way out of my price range and the SS is auto or else I'd get it. Just as long as the T/A runs and drives ok I'll get it! It's going to sit 99% of the winter anyways, there's no way I'm driving it in the Northeast during the winter, that's what I have my Blazers for.

If there's any obvious nitrous looking tell tales like old solenoids or anything sneaky I'll probably stay clear, spray on an auto is ok but on an M6 it kind of scares me..
ill check it out for you man! im going that way anyway cuz my friend is thinking of selling his 04 cobra to them. Ill let u no by the night how things look.
Old 10-25-2007 | 11:16 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by KFC Or Bust
It's going to sit 99% of the winter anyways, there's no way I'm driving it in the Northeast during the winter, that's what I have my Blazers for.
So why are you buying it now? Why don't you wait until spring to buy an f-body? In 6 months, there will be plenty more f-bodys on the market by then and you may even find a better deal. Why buy one now if you're not gonna drive it for 6 months?
Old 10-25-2007 | 12:02 PM
Teching In

i just saw the car. I had to go to office max and decided to stop on the way. There werent any sales people and it was drizzling a bit.The car is modded no two things about it. From wut I saw...

1 He DEFENATLEY has LT's and wut looked like an ORY comming out of a what looked like a borla exhaust. (there werent any markings on the tips nor did i c the cats)
2 The front two seats are aftermarket
3 He has a hotchkis sway bar
4 The rear tires are 295's (i think their BFG's)
5 He has MSD wires, and if the plugs he has in there are NGK TR6's then ill bet my bottom dollar he had nitrous.
6 The brake calliper seemed to be aftermarket as well with something written in red on them
7 I couldnt see the rear end clearly but i saw wut looked like a Moser 12 bolt. (again i couldnt count the bolts, but the diff cover looked silver) and if he does have the 12 bolt, im sure he has the optional 4.11's since he is and M6.

Other than that, it looked nice. Im going back sometime later to ask a sale's guy more question and ask him to pop the hood so i can get a clear view.

OOO and 1 more thing. If this guy went all out and has the fast 90/90, 12 bolt, and hotchkis suspension, im sure the LT's are prolly KOOKS or some top notch company and the exhaust is most likley borla. I HOPE I HELPED LOL
Old 10-25-2007 | 12:04 PM
Teching In

actually my friend wasnt around, so ill prolly go back sometime very soon.
Old 10-25-2007 | 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
So why are you buying it now? Why don't you wait until spring to buy an f-body? In 6 months, there will be plenty more f-bodys on the market by then and you may even find a better deal. Why buy one now if you're not gonna drive it for 6 months?
I'm trading it now because my last job fucked me real good, I was bringing in over $1,000 a week without batting an eye so I bought my Speed6 with $0 down and didn't talk it down a penny because I had plenty of money. Well, one day my boss tells me "We no have room for you, today your last day." So needless to say I have a $600/month car payment and Geico is sticking it in my *** with a $2200/6 month insurance payment and I have no job at the moment.

Plus I've wanted an F-Body since before I had my license and I'm almost 22 now so I figure it's time finally. The car seems pretty badass for $12.5k, I'm sure it's been whooped on hard but I'd beat it just as hard if not harder than the previous owner so it's not a biggie. Hell, I broke the rear differential brace and one of the axles on my Speed6 and I don't even have 10,000 miles on it yet so...
Old 10-25-2007 | 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

This car's been for sale for a while. Someone posted it up some time back asking who's car it was.

Quick Reply: Can Anyone Tell Me What's Done Under The Hood?