Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch, Burnout, EtC.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
another thing about the rear getting away from you..IT WILL...and its not very fun when you try and make a turn and you end u looking toward oncoming traffic (SO I HAVE HEARD )
Old 10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Couple years back when I first got the car I too took it for burnouts. I ended up busting my spider gears in the rear end, wearing down the clutch and busting my power steering pump because I had too strong of a donut radius.

Looking back now I can't believe the dumb things I did when I was 16, but you get older, gain experience and stop doing stupid things (to some extent).

To get a feel for your clutch I recommend you either drive without shoes or you get shoes with light soles to have a good feel for the clutch. When you press it in and start letting go, you'll feel the point at which it engages - remember that magic spot!

Good thing to do is to find some hills (even small ones) and do a bit of hill driving to get a feel for where your clutch engages.

Biggest difference between burning out and a good launch - if you're burning out you wanna drop the clutch with intent of breaking the tires loose - if you're launching "feather" the clutch out, don't just drop it, and experiment with what your clutch can handle and to what point you can go without breaking the rear tires out too much,
Old 10-26-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just be smart and know your limits. If you do that you should be okay. Also dont be like the dumbasses down here and do 360's and burnouts in the middle of an intersection during the day, find an isolated place. The back should be easy to get sideways and stay that way.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Don't worry about launching the car until you get a gear, that goes for 2nd gear burnouts as well. Don't do any doughnuts and you'll be fine on street tires as long as you let the car rest between burnouts. Don't powerbrake, it's just a waste of time, tire, and brakes. Rev to 4 drop the clutch(make sure you're in a straight line and hang on. Don't overcorrect when you're trying to keep straight. You have to be quick with these cars and like everyone said they are unpredictable sometimes so be smart.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

another thing like everyone has been aying is drive without your shoes, it helps alot. i learned how to drive a 6 spd with my ss(my first car) and i still drive with no shoes to get used to it
Old 10-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Be very careful like everyone said Im 17 also and have gone out to have "fun" on occasions, and it can be dangerous, the car has so much power and you think you have and then you don't and you dont want to wreck your car after only having it a short period of time. But for burnouts I let the clutch out a lil then mash the pedal down and power brake, take it to second then let it out in third. For launching feather the clutch on street tires. good luck.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
That is the most dumbass statement I've seen. He'll be dead garunteed if he drives it like he stole it.
way to spell tough guy.... the best memories i have of my car are when i first got it.... and drove it like a hopped up mongoose.... just dont drive all crazy on side streets or on curvy roads...
Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hndakilr
way to spell tough guy.... the best memories i have of my car are when i first got it.... and drove it like a hopped up mongoose.... just dont drive all crazy on side streets or on curvy roads...
Driving it like you stole it is the dumbest thing to do. by doing that it would be driving crazy on side streets and curvy roads and doing stupid things around other people. Now your contradicting yourself by saying not to drive crazy on side streets. And you dont want to ruin your car by driving it like you stole it when you first got it. be safe with the car and if you want to be crazy you should find an open lot or something away from others and other things that could hurt you or the car.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

wtf i guess im the only one that bought their car to have a good time... maybe get a lil reckless... fk getting used to it... take it to the limit
Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wtf i guess im the only one that bought their car to have a good time... maybe get a lil reckless... fk getting used to it... take it to the limit

kinda reminds me of the scarface theme song "push it to the limit"
Old 10-29-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by delsold
kinda reminds me of the scarface theme song "push it to the limit"
good tune
Old 10-29-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Most people don't buy their car to die. Taking it to the limit on the street is very stupid. If you want to run it that hard take it to the track.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

just be smart wiht it, after a few tickets the parentals will say buh bye car
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i say drive it like you stole it
Old 11-02-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

i lost my 4 year old daughter in a car wreck about 3 months ago, we werent speeding, i was going under the speed limit, being very careful. we got hit head on going 55 mph on a 4 lane road. whats the odds huh? i broke my foot in 4 places, broke my ankle, cracked my breastbone, sprained both my wrists, cut my hand and my knee open, the car was a toyota avalon and the floor and roof was buckled, my little girls mom was devasted, she has been going through all kinds of depression and is never gonna fully recover. my point is this.....be mindful of other peoples safety while you are driving, you might kill somebody else.....and you might spend the rest of your life in prison for it.........excessive speed, alcohol, or just disregard to peoples safety will earn you jailtime. i promise that. its not always about you.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

true dat...sorry for your loss man
Old 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well like my name says - this is my 6th Z28.. Guess what happened to the other 5? Stupid ****.. That's right.. Blew one up, and wrecked 4.. BE SMART, LEARN YOUR CAR, AND DEFINITelY DO A LITTLE AGGRESSIVE DRIVING ON A WIDE ROAD SO YOU CAN LEARN HOW TO CONTROL YOUR CAR UNDER WHEELSPIN AND FISHTAILING.

Just do it safely and you'll be fine

I'm 26 now. Got my first Z at 15yo! It was a GORGEOUS metallic blue 25th anniv - 350 HO tpi, t-tops.. well who cares but I wrecked it within 6 months trying to show off to my friend in the pass seat. I ended up smashing into a guardrail at 55+ and luckily we were fine.. In fact, I've even fallen asleep at the wheel - back in the day, walked away. I've been very fortunate to walk away from all of my wrecks completely unharmed but most don't get that lucky. My wrecks were so bad that you would swear just by looking at the car that the driver didn't survive.. Don't make stupid decisions like I did man..

BE SAFE YOUNG'N! I was there once too - enjoy your car

Last edited by 6THZ28; 11-06-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

damn ur on ur 6th?? thats crazy..im 18 n i just got my 2001 ss my first stick car was a 1928 model A ford so im still tryin to get the launch down..any advice??
Old 11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1SS01
damn ur on ur 6th?? thats crazy..im 18 n i just got my 2001 ss my first stick car was a 1928 model A ford so im still tryin to get the launch down..any advice??
yeah read "Smokin00WS6" post on pg. 1 about feathering the clutch up to 1500-2000 rpm's and letting the clutch off smoothly a couple times without shoes on just to get the feel of the clutch engaging.. then get it up to 2000, let off the clutch, and floor it.. should work out just fine. practice makes perfect!

Last edited by 6THZ28; 11-06-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

As far as "getting your car under control" are you guys mainly referring to 6 speed ls1's? Ha cuz i have an automatic, and its fast, and burns out a little, but nothing really frightening (except my 1st time whipping around a corner WOT!!). But ive never been in a 6 speed, are they more likely to spin?