New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch, Burnout, EtC.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only had my ls1 for 1 month i just turned 19 and i have had it well over 155 mph donuts on the test drive 13.9 in the quarter mile..drifted corners at 50 mph totally sideways....so its in the driver..pretty much what im tryign to say is if u truly believe in yourself then go for it..just have full coverage insurance like me!
but then again my first car when i was 15 till last month was a turbo 5 speed thuderbird so im used to the whole fast driving
Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W!CK3DZ28
i only had my ls1 for 1 month i just turned 19 and i have had it well over 155 mph donuts on the test drive 13.9 in the quarter mile..drifted corners at 50 mph totally sideways....so its in the driver..pretty much what im tryign to say is if u truly believe in yourself then go for it..just have full coverage insurance like me!
but then again my first car when i was 15 till last month was a turbo 5 speed thuderbird so im used to the whole fast driving
the way you worded it, it sounded like you did 155 mph donuts.. i was about to call you out
Old 11-07-2007, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

I went from a V6 Camaro 5-speed (from 18-20) to getting a Corvette (20-?) and I though having a RWD 5-speed before would help me get used to the Corvette...HAHAH, it still scares the crap outta me. Be careful..we don't need anymore wrecked F-bodys, I've still not owned a V8 one yet.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

driving f-body cars since I was 16... it really depends on the person, everyone wants to generalize, I'm on my second 98 camaro, traded the first f-body in + cash for a Monte Carlo SS for a daily driver.

Drive it carefully, keep racing to the track and you'll have no issues. Insurance sees fit to give me even no-fault first accident as a bonus to my full coverage, so keep in mind that being a good driver pays.

As for a launch and burnout, simply bring up the rpm to say 3k and release the clutch. The stock suspension will try to bring the car sideways, so prepare your hands on the steering wheel for that while bringing up the throttle to maintain the spin on the tires.

LCA's, LCA relocation kit, panhard rod and rear sway bar can really help keep the car straight. I once did a burn out and had it go straight fine, but on the line at the beams, the previous ricer car left a good amount of water, I was so used to having my car go straight that when I did my normal 3k rpm clutch dump launch and the car went sideways, it caught me off guard. Normally with my setup it stays straight and just spins so the lesson of the day is, no matter how much you think you are used to a car, there are ALWAYS situations that can come out of the blue...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Banned

Ya, I'm one of the many statistics where she lets you know if u have control or not.

Full throttle out of first gear, had the wheels corked to the left, and 180ed the car, curbed the right side of the car. Blew 2 tires, bent 2 rims, and 1 tie rod.

All this because i though i was hot stuff on the last day of high school. cost me $500 in the end, small price to pay for a lesson learned, though none of my friends have let me live it down. But none of them can beat me heads up either
Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Teching In

I just got my Z this summer after a long search to find excatly what I wanted. I also enjoy taking "calculated risks" and haven't really broken 'em loose that many times....I'm more worried about braking the end yoke and dropping the driveshaft. For me, I want to keep the car a long while, not crashing it is high on the priority list.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Launching!

I have problems launching also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcsVjii8L5Y
Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are gonna drive stupid and race or do burnouts just make sure you do it somewhere secluded so you only endanger yourself and not innocent people. I understand you want to have fun with your car, just be safe and smart about it.

Chances are you aren't going to listen to anyone on here but please just don't do it on public roads.

Edit: I'm 19 for what it's worth... Just because you are young doesn't mean you cant be responsible.

Last edited by TLUZLS1; 11-25-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
please just don't do it on public roads.
^^^ I've seen kids do some stupid ****, mostly friends too... 180s almost into oncoming cars, curb hopping trying to "drift" etc etc. If you want to have fun, go burnout in an empty lot. Wear some tires down, rather than get yourself or someone else killed.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

wow, most of you guys are younger than i expected. im 19 and figured i was one of the younger people on this site. how the hell do you guys afford these cars? I am working 45 hours a week on top of taking 17 hours a week of classes in school. this is killing me but I think its worth it. gf thinks im crazy but oh well. If you guys have some money trees in your back yard feel free to mail me some.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by b0pric01
wow, most of you guys are younger than i expected. im 19 and figured i was one of the younger people on this site. how the hell do you guys afford these cars? I am working 45 hours a week on top of taking 17 hours a week of classes in school. this is killing me but I think its worth it. gf thinks im crazy but oh well. If you guys have some money trees in your back yard feel free to mail me some.

I operate a small mechanic business in my town, nothing major, oil changes, tune ups, etc. things i can handle and manage. Plus it'll get me a killa scholarship to a University It's about 300 a week in profit Car, Insurance, Gas, and Mods, only the essentials
Old 11-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6_Suicide_Machine
Ya, I'm one of the many statistics where she lets you know if u have control or not.

Full throttle out of first gear, had the wheels corked to the left, and 180ed the car, curbed the right side of the car. Blew 2 tires, bent 2 rims, and 1 tie rod.

All this because i though i was hot stuff on the last day of high school. cost me $500 in the end, small price to pay for a lesson learned, though none of my friends have let me live it down. But none of them can beat me heads up either
My friend did this same exact thing on the last day of highschool in his LS1 Z28, 4 years have past and people still talk about it. He dropped the clutch leaving the parking lot sending him into a drift and then tried to grab second and it swung around the other way right into the ditch. Luckily there was no curb but he couldn't get out of the ditch because of the steep incline and grass. A trooper showed up immediately while we trying to push him out and made us stop and made my friend call a tow truck while he sat in the back of the trooper's car. He only ended up getting an unsafe start ticket which was lucky for him.

It's pretty funny how alot of people that are giving advice to this guy are only a couple years older and think they have lots of experience. I'm only 22 and after driving my car for 3 years I still get nervous when pushing my car to its limits. All I can say is be as cautious as you can and don't be an idiot especially when you think you should have to impress your friends for some reason. From the story above thats exactly what happened to him (trying to impress his friends).
Old 11-25-2007, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

i agree... i just got mine about 3 weeks ago, and so much to learn. BTW where the hell is the TCS button or whatever... maybe i dont have one? IDK i have a 98 z28, lol thanks.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Banned

best advice is to be scared of ur car, i came about 1 foot to a sidewalk, doing a burnout in 1st gear and turning the steering wheel (4 people in the car) and lost complete control and ended up about 1 foot away from sliding into the sidewalk after that i dident drive my car for 1 week!! i let my brother hav it for a week then started getting used to it again and was scared shitless to drive it! but jus learn ur car, and what its capable of, the key is control. goodluck and pleez be safe
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 AM
12 Second Club

It seems there are a lot of spoiled kids in this thread, but that is not the point. I am used to very powerful cars and still did not see what my car could do (unless it was in a straight line), for a few weeks after owning it.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:12 AM
Banned

hahah f bodys arent that expencive eny more its the price of a brand new kia
Old 11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

i gotta a z28 if ur on street tire dont worry about a burn out the tire dont get stickey jus do some thing little to clean off the tires. when my car was stock i would launch at about 2300-2500 and dumped but didnt punch it jus hit the gas a little more and leave it there it will spin a lil but when it gets done spinning punch it people under estemate me when i say that but no f-body or cobra runs away and i never had a problem with bogging out
Old 11-25-2007, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

i'm only 20 and i've owned my 95 Cobra with boltons for almost a year now. i just did my first doughnut the other day in it...i've spent my time learning the car being it is my first RWD car.

also, a good way to learn how to maintain a little control is find a BIG empty parking lot and go at it when it rains. its fun and it will teach you a little bit about how to keep control, somewhat.

i've wrecked 3 civics since i was 16. all 3 were being stupid and trying to show off when i though i knew how to drive. i've learned to not be a retard while driving on public roads.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree there are a lot of spoiled kids on this thread..I am 19 and work my *** off and that is why I only have a 93 z28...if my parents gave me money I would probably have a 98 or 99...I like being able to own my car, I am always careful with it since I bought it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, it sucks having to go to class from 7am to 3pm every day, then going to work from 3pm to 11pm, plus working 9-5 on sundays. but i do get to drive my ws6 every day, so its all worthwhile. about 2 more semesters and i get to co op and hopefully make some serious money and pay the bitch off... or get a kickass h/c setup.